PDA

View Full Version : fd1 engine swap??

warwick108
28-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Hello everyone, this might be a stupid question for some.. but I was wondering how much work would I have to do.. to change my fd1 to have a k20a engine? would their be that much work? the k20a is a 2 litre engine.. and the civic sports is a 2 litre.. so can you do a swap without to much changes? even better direct swap.. =)

dmx
28-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Hello everyone, this might be a stupid question for some.. but I was wondering how much work would I have to do.. to change my fd1 to have a k20a engine? would their be that much work? the k20a is a 2 litre engine.. and the civic sports is a 2 litre.. so can you do a swap without to much changes? even better direct swap.. =)

fd1 is 1.8L (r18), so means not direct swap.
i think u'll get complicated work to do.
better buy fd2 (even not get k20a) right away if want 2.0L engine;)

m0nty ITR
28-02-2008, 09:26 PM
Sell your VTi and just get a Sport. It's a much easier exercise.

JaCe
28-02-2008, 10:26 PM

ditto. The cost and effort (not to mention screwing with your new car warranty and resale values) just isn't worth it- AFAIK (from reading forums), the VTi/VTi-L have no advantage over the Sport to make it worthwhile putting the K20Z engine into it.

K20A, I don't think I've seen that done yet but again there are probably better things you can do with your time/money. If you really want to add power to the car and are willing to risk your warranty/resales/etc.. then maybe be one of the first in Aus to install the forced induction kits from Taiwan or something.

danny_mart
29-02-2008, 10:50 AM

Sport is actually slower then the VTi and Vti-L due to its heavier weight.

denot
29-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Sport is actually slower then the VTi and Vti-L due to its heavier weight.

not entirely true... ^_^

JaCe
29-02-2008, 01:08 PM
I thought the Sport felt about the same in terms of acceleration, but it sounded more willing and the throttle felt a bit more sensitive. Can't remember much though as it was a while back.

The other thing though is I remember reading the manual VTi/VTi-L is faster than an automatic Sport.

Jo_e
29-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Not worth ur time or money.
Sorry for the sports owners, but its not that much faster. =P

warwick108
29-02-2008, 04:13 PM
not worried about the time and money.. just wondering how much work would be needed?... lets say.. civic sports with a k20a engine?.. is it direct change?.. like.. pull the engine out..and put the k20a in?.. =S

Jo_e
29-02-2008, 04:18 PM
hahaha. mate what do u do for a profession to not worry abt time and money? coz i want your job =P kidding

But in reference to the sports K20a engine swap, I honestly have no idea about a direct change. I dont think it should be too messy considering they share the same body shell. But dont quote me for it, i could be totally off.

Stig
29-02-2008, 04:44 PM
spoon sports chucked a k20a into their normal civic... even before the fd2r was released in japan

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/0702_ht_spoon_honda_civic_type_r_sedan/index.html

:D