PDA

View Full Version : h22a vtec problem

55EXX
28-02-2008, 09:17 PM
my brother a while back bought a '92 h22a converted 4th gen prelude. now the problem is that vtec doesn't activate via normal means instead a button is pushed and it is activated while the button is held in. what can my brother do to fix this problem. all i know about the car is it is a jdm h22a from a 95 prelude. sorry about the little info provided he knows very little about the new car of his. the ecu used is unknown to me.

what i suggested not knowing much of his car would be a vtec controller that he can program to turn vtec on at ??? and on the way down off at ???. ??? is whatever factory values were which i don't know for this engine.

blk_shadow
28-02-2008, 10:48 PM
my brother a while back bought a '92 h22a converted 4th gen prelude. now the problem is that vtec doesn't activate via normal means instead a button is pushed and it is activated while the button is held in. what can my brother do to fix this problem. all i know about the car is it is a jdm h22a from a 95 prelude. sorry about the little info provided he knows very little about the new car of his. the ecu used is unknown to me.

what i suggested not knowing much of his car would be a vtec controller that he can program to turn vtec on at ??? and on the way down off at ???. ??? is whatever factory values were which i don't know for this engine.

huh? vtec is activated when the button is pressed??? sure is not NOS right? cos the way vtec kicks in is when it changes to highlift cam at a certain RPM, and I don't think u can push a button to switch to high lift cam like that.

well, it can be the wiring on the solenoid or the vtec solenoid itself is faulty. or if the previous owner (hopefully not) rewired everything wrongly. but its very strange to do so.

vtec controller is used to set on which RPM the vtec will kick in, but not at which RPM the vtec will turn off, cos its not the way how it works.

I still don't really get it about pushing the button thingy.

55EXX
29-02-2008, 06:52 AM
vtec controller is used to set on which RPM the vtec will kick in, but not at which RPM the vtec will turn off, cos its not the way how it works.

i thought vtec for example kicked in at 5500rpm and on the down rev switched of at a lower rpm. this was so during normal driving conditions like when you speed up it clicks on but when you slow for a corner and revs dip below 5500rpm, which happens all the time, vtec remains engaged so that the engine isn't constantly switching to and from vtec.

don't vtec controllers controll that? i might have to have an auto sparky look at it i don't know these wires.

Benson
29-02-2008, 06:56 AM
vtec is not working for a reason. Dont use a switch to turn on vtec. Vtec works on oil pressure so make sure you have good oil pressure. Is all the wiring done correctly?

V73C
29-02-2008, 09:13 AM
i say check the wirings to the solenoid, my brother had a converison done too, the guy that did it, didnt even connect the wiring to the solenoids together, so i did a DIY job on it, but usually when its not connected the engine light comes on, so it could be a faulty solenoid

tct
29-02-2008, 09:26 AM
my friends H22a converted eg had vtec for a while and now it doesnt =\ it was low on oil we thought it was that but then we topped it up vtec didnt come back we miss it. could it also be the solenoid?

blk_shadow
29-02-2008, 10:24 AM
my friends H22a converted eg had vtec for a while and now it doesnt =\ it was low on oil we thought it was that but then we topped it up vtec didnt come back we miss it. could it also be the solenoid?

yeah, I'll be checking the solenoid an the wiring first,

then as benson said, check the oil pressure.

55EXX
29-02-2008, 06:04 PM
i say check the wirings to the solenoid, my brother had a converison done too, the guy that did it, didnt even connect the wiring to the solenoids together, so i did a DIY job on it, but usually when its not connected the engine light comes on, so it could be a faulty solenoid

engine light does come on

ECU-MAN
02-03-2008, 02:29 PM
check the ecu for codes, its a good start to find the problem

could be a faulty sensor or wiring issue