PDA

View Full Version : help please

HondaAsk
02-03-2008, 10:06 AM
hi, I bought a second Honda Accord EXI 1994.

I do not know the the tyre pressre and how much air i fill, 32 or 35 at petrol station? and where is the automatic transmission dipstick in the car:confused:. i do not see it.

Thanks

Riviera
02-03-2008, 02:12 PM
32psi or 35 not that much difference

mine are at 32 all the time

auto dipstick is down the bottom left front its got a yellow handle

HondaAsk
02-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks, Riviera. I do as you suggest. 

Dray_Templar
02-03-2008, 05:17 PM
try and use the honda ATF if you need to top it up at all :)

wasabi-des
02-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Aim 37 psi tyre pressure is what I was taught when I used to do tyre fitting. Did a defensive driving course a few weeks ago and they confirmed that its better to run the pressures higher because it opens up the tread block, which allows the water to be dispersed better (when it actually rains). I also don't notice a difference in comfort compared to lower pressures.

Cheers,
- Kei

Vinnie
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
i keep mine around 35, they wear evenly and i have no issues with ride :) tbh i think 32 is a tad low but again, its not a huge difference

FAT VTI
03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
mines at 34.

I have 18s, with low profile, i check them at least once a wk most times twice, they tend to get low pretty quick. prob just from the added weight or something i dunno.
Always good to check when u fill up, only takes a minute.

CB7_OWNER
05-03-2008, 08:08 PM
i got 205/50/15 running 34 at front, and 28 at the back...apparently it gives the car a more oversteer effect, having a large gap in difference.

bennjamin
05-03-2008, 08:10 PM
remember , all Australian tyres have the recommended tyre pressure written on the SIDEWALL of the tyre.

Use this as your guide !

JohnL
05-03-2008, 10:50 PM
remember , all Australian tyres have the recommended tyre pressure written on the SIDEWALL of the tyre.

Use this as your guide !

It's not a 'recommended' pressure, it's a maximum safe pressure for that tyre. Having said that, it will be a very conservative number, the actual burst pressure will be WAY higher (which doesn't mean I'm suggesting to use more than the psi marked on the sidewall). Also, it's a cold pressure, the manufacturer expects it to be a few psi higher with higher temp.

There is a rule of thumb; start off around 5psi below the max pressure on the sidewall, and then experiment. I've experimented a lot with psi in the tyres I have on my car (two different brands of cheapies), and have found that one pair works best at about 38 psi, the other pair at 45 psi (this holds true regardless of which end of the car I fit which pair of tyres to). The max recommended pressures are 44psi and 51psi respectively.

That works out to be 6psi under max recommended with both different brands of tyre, which isn't something I aimed for, just what it ended up being after a lot of testing with varying pressures (I didn't even notice the max recommended psi until I'd already settled on my favourite pressures), but it does I think tend to lend some credibility to the 'rule of thumb'.

The tyres I have that need the higher psi have very soft sidewalls (single ply sidewall whereas most tyres have at least two sidewall plies) and feel under-inflated even at 40psi. These tyres are Falken Ziex329, they handle very poorly unless you put a LOT of pressure in them (and even then...).

All tyres will vary in what psi works best on what car, you need to experiment to find what you like. Some people might really like X psi with a particular tyre on a given car, but someone else may think it makes the ride too harsh so prefer a lower psi in exactly the same application.

I prefer higher psi for improved response and don't mind some harshness, but in general I wouldn't reccomend going below about 32psi, which should be quite comfortable but still perform acceptably with most tyres.

Riviera
09-03-2008, 12:55 PM
ok edit of my first post the optimum pressure was 32 but ive gone over my bob
jane booklet and it says 36PSI is my recommended tyre pressure

sorry about the false pressure but thats what ive always had...