PDA

View Full Version : weird noise

RtN
02-03-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey i think theres like noises such as when the disc changes or engine noise and like car turns on or casette turns off / on. Basically almost anything makes a noise on the 4 speakers. What is it? and how do I fix it?

warwick108
03-03-2008, 12:33 AM
I reckon it would be static.. =)

tron07
03-03-2008, 08:14 AM
pop noise? static or white noise? whining noise??

RtN
03-03-2008, 04:02 PM
it has a combination of those.. but I dont believe whining.. most notably the POP and my front splits are moving in and out continuously!

solitz
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
checking ground connections on the amps and on the headunit
or the cabling (general rule is that power cables on one side of the car and the speaker cables on opposite of car)...this is just checking for whinging or static noise

as for pop on the front splits....im gonna take a guess and ask if u have an external amp..coz maybe the gains are set too high

RtN
03-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Well yeh since the car is not with me at the moment I will try that lowering the gain thing and separating cables in a few days!
thanks !~

CHY-NES
04-03-2008, 12:52 AM
hey champ i think i know wat ur on about it mainly happens wen u hav the rca's and the power cable running down the same side of the car try n seperate n should b all good

ICACHA
04-03-2008, 01:14 AM
not always the case, ive run power and rca's the same side with no noise, depends on vehicles electrical system and how well the rca's can reject noise :)

RtN
05-03-2008, 12:17 AM
LOL oh yeh don't the RCAs have shielding from this stuff anyway? And what do you mean the electrical system? How much its putting out or what?

Also I havn't done this yet but is it okay to ground the Head unit to the same grounding point as the amp?

solitz
05-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Also I havn't done this yet but is it okay to ground the Head unit to the same grounding point as the amp?
if u ahve an external amp then ull need to have its own individual ground cable. (shortest possible distance from amp to the chassis)

RtN
05-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeh i know cable... but I meant point lol

solitz
05-03-2008, 11:10 AM
ah ok my bad...i would ahve 2 individual grounds

tron07
05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
ah ok my bad...i would ahve 2 individual grounds

then you will get a ground loop effect noise instead

teh_mechanic
05-03-2008, 05:10 PM
then you will get a ground loop effect noise instead

true,it is ideal to mount everything at the same point,but if you use good quality gear who really is going to run ground cables for amps back to the front of the car to ground alongside head unit etc....but if you wanna go the effort,good on you for doing things right the first time.

as for the thread starter....car interiors are beautiful for musical acoustics but they are a nightmare of an electrical field.your noises are electrical interference being picked up in the system,usually through the rca's.i used to have a popping noise when i hit the brakes,my rca ran right next to the wire going to the lights,moved it and sound was gone.
another time i was using dna rca cables and my system had the dreaded alternator whine,i switched to soundstream competition rca's (quite pricey) and the sound was gone.

check all your grounds,make sure the paint is scraped away under them,make sure you wiring is neat and try and keep signal wires away from power supply wires.if you still have trouble go to http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au , its like the ozhonda for car stereos

RtN
06-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Thank you all! I solved it by reducing some settings on the amplifier especially the gains!

Positives for all!

RtN
14-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Hmm woopz forgot to check to see if it sounded good with engine on.. unfortunately there is engine noise now despite ridding of the popping noise by turning gains down. So basically..engine starting..engine idling and revving all make noise. I'm pretty sure it's a common problem..anyone any ideas? and yes my cables are separated and grounds are done..except..myheadunit is using the ground that was set by HONDA in its OEM headunit Harness is that ok? Because honda did design it...

Well yeh would you reckon I get one of those line filters or like a voltage stabilizer etc?

tron07
15-03-2008, 08:06 AM
aeroplane sound? whining sound? Most probably alternator whine... did you change your spark plugs cable?

RtN
15-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Nah, lol so I have to change spark plug cable to reduce noise? and yes whining sound when accelerator pedal pushed.

tron07
16-03-2008, 10:40 PM
no... stock cables have less chance of making aeroplane noise (alternator whine)

RtN
16-03-2008, 11:03 PM
So yeh I have not changed the spark cables...

tron07
17-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I will post another thread about noise... refer to that.