PDA

View Full Version : Engine Torque Damper

beeza
03-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Has anyone used or know if this is a good product?
Engine Torque Damper (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engine-Torque-Damper-Civic-92-00-DEL-SOL-93-97-SOHC-JDM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50454QQihZ006QQitem Z160213851676QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

The price is good :thumbsup: $70 AU delivered

beeza
03-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Or a bit more is the NRG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NRG-Engine-Torque-Damper-Titanium-Honda-Civic-96-00_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ007QQitemZ 170197895857QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) one.$140 AU delivered.

Oooo Oooo in Blue (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NRG-Engine-Torque-Damper-Blue-Honda-Civic-96-00-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46098QQihZ009QQitem Z190202782628QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW) :)

mrwillz
03-03-2008, 05:34 PM
they lok almost like spoon ones

does anyone know wot tool i could use to tighten the bottom end (of the actual damper)
it becomes a lil loose after a while over time and i hand tighten it.

hondavti25
03-03-2008, 05:36 PM
what are they for exactly sorry ive nerver heard anything about what they acctually do ? i get the general drift? support then engine and what not but is there more to it?

dsp26
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Has anyone used or know if this is a good product?
Engine Torque Damper (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engine-Torque-Damper-Civic-92-00-DEL-SOL-93-97-SOHC-JDM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50454QQihZ006QQitem Z160213851676QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW)

The price is good :thumbsup: $70 AU delivered

their better than having solid mounts imo.. but that one you posted above looks chat....

and the US$25 shipping to Australia at the top of the page is incorrect... if you look at their shipping conditions, "INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING IS FOR CANADA, PR, HI, AK, ALL BUYER FROM OTHER COUNTRY PLEASE EMAIL FOR SHIPPING QUOTE"

Shipping will be heaps more than that... you may as well get the INGALLS

dsp26
03-03-2008, 07:34 PM
what are they for exactly sorry ive nerver heard anything about what they acctually do ? i get the general drift? support then engine and what not but is there more to it?

does the same thing as solid engine mounts, prevents the engine from rocking on acceleration or hard shifting which translates to instant torque transfer to the gearbox then to the road...

difference to solid mounts is that these won't make your cabin shake.... it works like any other damper like sussy shocks... they'll absorb impact and prevent movement but eventually give which still translates to torque transfer because pressure maintained at all times, shock body will eventually travel. solid mounts will make your engine bay rock solid full time and idle vibrations will chatter everything in the cabin

beeza
03-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I've got the Energy suspension motor mount inserts on the bottom 2 mounts,haven't done the pain in the ass rear mount yet...and I'm planning to do the top 2 mounts the same way.Is it overkill to use a engine torque damper aswell?
Maybe,do you know or think it will be a better combination to have the 3 lower mounts as ES inserts and the torque damper and don't do the top 2 mounts? The vibrations atm are nice but anymore may be a bit much for a comfortable daily...
This is interesting,to get the right combination.

dsp26
03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I've got the Energy suspension motor mount inserts on the bottom 2 mounts,haven't done the pain in the ass rear mount yet...and I'm planning to do the top 2 mounts the same way.Is it overkill to use a engine torque damper aswell?
Maybe,do you know or think it will be a better combination to have the 3 lower mounts as ES inserts and the torque damper and don't do the top 2 mounts? The vibrations atm are nice but anymore may be a bit much for a comfortable daily...
This is interesting,to get the right combination.

if your set on getting the damper don't bother doing the rear mount... does the exact same thing :thumbsup: not worth the effort doing the rears trust me... i would rather pay $100 for labour... i ended up doing one on my own after bennjamin showed me....

hayashi_1986
03-03-2008, 08:39 PM
The NRG one is tops in my opinion. They're very close to Spoon ones as a matter of fact...if not, better without the JDM wank factor. Keeps the extra engine movement under control and gives you a bit more traction. Your engine will put down torque better with one of these, but in no way will it offer you any power gains...just allows your car to move off the line easier without as much wheel hop.

You'll have a bit more cabin noise since it's attached between your block and firewall...It's totally worth it though.

Cheers

beeza
03-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys!
That's great to hear dsp26 as I've had this rear mount for ages....I doubt I'll ever put it in.

Nice,a blue NRG looks like the go then :)

Will it still be worth doing the top 2 mounts with this?

dsp26
03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Will it still be worth doing the top 2 mounts with this?

nope... pretty much don't need to do any of em with one of these unless your motor makes so much torque that you shred your mounts.

beeza
03-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Oh sweet!

ricki_kalsi
04-03-2008, 10:42 AM
As said... better to use Solid (Mugen or the likes) engine mounts.

But good combination is Energy Engine mount inserts and ETD.

They are good... they do keep the engine in place under hard acceleration / throttle pumping. My only concerns is that it pushes against ONE side of the engine.
I've got a J's racing one on my car - honestly you don't need it for the street.

fatboyz39
04-03-2008, 11:32 AM
worth while mod.

beeza
04-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Yeah definately gonna put the NRG one in and see if I need the upper engine mounts after that but I doubt it,don't want the car to shake to shit :)

Limbo
04-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I got one it helps stop the movement of the engine abit. Does make a difference if your lazy to replace to solid mounts

beeza
04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Haha.That's me :)

kayot1k
07-03-2008, 10:40 AM
ETD with still transfer incabin vibrations. just a fancy gadget for under the hood BLING.

why not just do torque mount inserts all THREE and leave it at that.
OR even better DIY FILL engine mounts.
these alone will eliminate the need for ETD. ESP if your not putting out massive power. ETD FTL

markoJEK1
16-03-2008, 11:45 AM
hey guys, does anyone have pics with any of these mounted in the engine bay in a EK with a b18c perhaps?

Limo
30-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Anybody know any manufacturers that make them for the EF's?

nd55
31-12-2008, 07:46 AM
> they lok almost like spoon ones

Ingall's also make them.

> why not just do torque mount inserts all THREE

There are five mounts that can be filled/stuffed with inserts.

> OR even better DIY FILL engine mounts.

I don't see how filling is better than a good quality install using inserts. They're pretty close.

Filling might be a bit tighter, but the poly isn't guaranteed to stay stuck to rubber.
Inserts can be looser, but they're reversable.

> pretty much don't need to do any of em with one of these unless your motor makes so much torque

Inserts & Torque arms are an attempt to solve wheel hop, which can be quite bad even with a standard motor and old/broken engine mounts.

As soon as it happens to you, you'll know exactly what i'm talking about.

> don't want the car to shake to shit

traction bars are the answer to wheel hop and no engine vibrations.

Nick

beeza
31-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Cheers Nick,great info mate!