PDA

View Full Version : What fuel to use on a 3rd gen 2004 Odyssey

sschen
04-03-2008, 02:05 AM
Hi all

I read a thread here regarding different type of premium unleaded fuel. We bought a 3rd gen 2004 odyssey recently. A friend who owns a 2007 odyssey said he only uses premium unleaded fuel as he feels he gets better performance out of the car using the premium unleaded fuel.

The Honda website says normal unleaded fuel is to be used on this vehicle.

Is there any benefit using RON 95 premium unleaded fuel and for that mater 98 RON fuel in the Odyssey?

If there are benefits to be had using the more expensive fuel, I will give it a go. I just want to be sure that I am not harming the engine if using either the 95 RON or 98 RON fuel. Apology if this sounds like a silly question to ask but I am not really automobile-savvy.

Thanking you in advance.

UNLS1
04-03-2008, 08:03 AM
run 2 tanks of reg unleaded.

then run 2 tanks of premium.

do ur sums on the 2nd of each tank with how much it cost to fill up and how many kms u get out of each of the 2nd fills.

the higher the octane the better. i only use premium in my other cars.
if ur tight on cash just put reg.

sschen
04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
run 2 tanks of reg unleaded.

then run 2 tanks of premium.

do ur sums on the 2nd of each tank with how much it cost to fill up and how many kms u get out of each of the 2nd fills.

the higher the octane the better. i only use premium in my other cars.
if ur tight on cash just put reg.

Why do the sums on the 2nd fill?

So no worry using RON 98 fuel on the Odyssey?

Thanks mate

UNLS1
05-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Here we go again..... the other post not good enough for you???? And UNLS1 is completely WRONG

Say it one more time YOU ARE ONLY WASTING YOUR MONEY USING MORE OCTANE THAN RECOMMENDED BY HONDA. They are the ones who built and designed your car they KNOW what fuel it was built to utilize and that's why they PUT IN THE MANUAL they are not KIDDING AROUND. And there is absolutely NO ADVANTAGE TO USING higher octane fuel NONE.

lol how am i wrong? is this just in some honda engine? like the ody and a jazz??

how come the techs from honda aus recommended to use prem fuel in the new V6 accord for all test drives ect?

krogoth
10-03-2008, 11:50 AM
i always use 98octane in my civic because i feel its alot smoother, idles alot better, much more responsive, no lump spots

all this is because its a cleaner, higher octane fuel

powerwise, it may not contribute much, but i feel it a tiny bit, definetley a huge difference from 91 octane

also, it just keeps ur engine cleaner, ive worked in a block and head reco shop b4, and i can physically see the differences in carbon build up between blocks and heads that ran on 98 octane and 91 octane

and i get better fuel economy with 98, 20-30kmz more per tank

all this is fact from my experiences in my car. so give it a go, if u find that it hasnt really made much difference, then just use 91

krogoth
10-03-2008, 05:29 PM
yes, but isnt a higher octane fuel more pure, less additives, therefore "cleaner"

so this maybe the reason for better idling and smoothness

at least i find my car never idled as good with 91 octane, and it didnt start as smoothly

with 98, it always starts instantly, never a problem

if all the above listed are variables wen considering different cars, the fact that ur engine will run cleaner and last longer in the long run as the higher octane fuel doesnt cause anywer near the amount of carbon build up as 91 octane

and that u will get better economy, is worth spending the extra $3-$4 a tank

krogoth
10-03-2008, 09:07 PM
http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&FC2=&FC3=/au-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/v-power_pkg/overview/overview.html

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId=au-en&FC2=&FC3=/au-en/tailored/shell_for_motorists/fuels/v-power_pkg/overview/overview.html

sure u can say its a marketing scam, shell will push ther product

but i believe it has benefits, i dont know if its in the general sense

but for me, in my car, ther are many very big differnces, excellent value for just $2.5 to $3 extra per tank

thats y i think he should try it, see how it goes at least, it wont make a more than $5 of difference, if he doesnt think its worth it, then thats fine

TonyB
13-04-2008, 11:38 PM
We use the ethanol blend, our Honda dude said it was OK and that is good for me. We live in Pyrmont (for those of you outside of Sydney, basically an over-populated suburb close to the city) and I have no problem with sitting in our crap traffic congestion wasting an ethanol blend. Sure, I might consider looking into the potential power gains of different fuels if I was on a track but for our people mover and the screaming kids aboard, ethanol blend works quite well. I have no doubt it would still work with some kind of octane boosted ultimate fuel but would I appreciate the difference at the next traffic jam? Doubtful, but I am sure the fuel company would appreciate my dollars!

C4M
10-05-2008, 02:26 PM
I've been using the E10 blends as well since I bought the Ody - after the WRX that was fed a constant diet of BP Ultimate, buying a car that can take regular unleaded is like a gift that keeps on giving!!

Has anyone got any real statistics to support their usage and economy figures ranging from E10 to 98PULP?

C!

quadrio
10-05-2008, 08:33 PM
all i can say if you want a cleaner, nicer running motor, use premium unleaded.
the only reason honda says unleaded is fine is because it sounds better to a possible customer if they think they are buying a car that will be cheaper to run and will only require premium

aaronng
10-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Use E10 and it will clean even better than premium unleaded.