PDA

View Full Version : A/c pulley bolt broke

connorling
04-03-2008, 02:00 PM
hi, i was revving my engine down the street, then i heard this loud ticking noice, then i turn off my car, and pop up my car bonnet, i saw the belt was off the pulley, then waited for RAC 2hours at 1am, i was so pissed, anyway, then he looked at it, he said the actual pulley is off, towed the car back to my house.

next day i jack the car up, i say the actual pulley is off because of the bolt break, it broken in half. i had to cut the belt and take the pulley out, now i can drive with no A/C, and i have no idea how to fix it, any one can help??????? i cant reach the bolt and PS pulley is on the way. someone said i have to put the whole engine out to fix it, do u think so????

teh_mechanic
04-03-2008, 05:50 PM
basically,because the bolt is snapped the only way to get it out is to drill it out.however space is a big problem with the ac compressor where it is.they would of told you to pull the whole engine out because they know that the bolt will need to be drilled out,the thread repaired and a new bolt put in,all of which is only possible when you have the engine out in the open without a chassis rail in you engine bay in the way....unless u have an ant that is handy with an ant sized drill

i assume you mean your power steer pulley is noisy or something to say it is on the way out?
if so,undo the belt,undo the pulley,replace with new pulley and put the belt back on to save yourself another hassle

you shouldnt be breaking bolts like that,something went wrong for the bolt to snap,my guess would be someone cross threaded it in there

connorling
04-03-2008, 08:47 PM
so u meant if i upscrew the PS pulley out, the i can reach the broken bolt, then insert the new belt with the old pulley??????

so i have to put the PSpulley out, is it right?

teh_mechanic
05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
well no.i was saying change your ps pulley if its worn or 'on the way out like you said'. You shouldnt have to replace the bolt for the power steer pulley,bolts arnt supposed to break,parts wear but not bolts.
The one that you have to get out,the broken one,is it the bolt that holds the pulley onto the a/c compressor or is one of the 2 that hold the a/c compressor onto the engine.either way you need to find someway to drill the bolt out if it has snapped

ECU-MAN
05-03-2008, 09:32 AM
the idler pulley that acts as the AC belt tentioner bolts to the AC bracket.

depends which bolt broke. the ones that hold the pulley to the mount or if its the one that tentions the pulley.

you have to unbolt the compressor from the mount then remove the mount from the car. remove any broken studs, then put the new belt in place, refit the braket, mount the tentioner pully and then bolt up the compressor. then tention the belt.