PDA

View Full Version : squeaks in my steering. (ep3)

SuperSteve
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey guys. I was driving home 2day from work when (i dont know if it was my imagination) i was hearing squeaks coming from behind my steering wheel when i was turning while accelerating. Stand still i cant hear it though. But when i accelerated and jiggled the steering wheel a bit i could feel and hear a squeaking noise. I took it around to Toda to have a look but i couldnt get it to happen again ! ! ! god dam ! ! ! but yeah just wondering anyone else getting this ??

It could have been a blow taillight globe that was making the noises which was sitting and rattling away in my drivers side door panel but the fact that i could slightly feel something while the squeak noises were happening on the steering wheel makes me wonder. >_< this is doing my head in ! ! !

EuroDude
04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
So the noise is coming from inside the cabin behind the steering wheel?

Sounds like the steering wheel column/link needs greasing.
Spray some WD40 or Silicone Grease in the steering column joints ftw

typercivic
04-03-2008, 04:55 PM
if it happens when you turn the wheel from side to side and it squeeks that it could be low on power steering fluid caused by a leak maybe. it's worth checking the level in the reservoir.

SuperSteve
04-03-2008, 05:17 PM
levels of rservoir are good. I went for a drive just then and couldnt get noise to happen. Ill test it tomoro morning on a cold start.

VTi_b0i
04-03-2008, 05:20 PM
its prolly ur imagination lol im like that all the time haha

Philip Lee
04-03-2008, 05:31 PM
maybe the power steering motor?

EP3 has electric PS.

SuperSteve
04-03-2008, 07:10 PM
hmm now just found another noise ! ! lol im going crazy. Just took car for another drive then and couldnt get the squeaky noise behind the steering wheel to start up again, however, now i notice that when im driving and my rev needle points around 4k revs on my rev gauge, i can hear a noise (bzzzz), and i got no idea what it could b ! ! >_<

Felix
04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
http://www.telecarehealth.com/the_test.html

typercivic
04-03-2008, 08:18 PM
on the uk forums(type r owners and civic type r) there are heaps of threads about steering rack issues as it was a common fault apparently so could be worth having a look on there and comparing to the noises you are getting.

SuperSteve
04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
ooooooo nooooooooooo ! ! ! not my steering rack ! ! !

typercivic
04-03-2008, 09:11 PM
have a look at this for example:

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=157249

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=152760&p=1762314&hilit=steering+rack#p1762314

http://civictype-r.co.uk/forum/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&keywords=steering+rack&fid&#37;5B%5D=40

last one is a list of search results for steering rack, hope that helps.

aaronng
04-03-2008, 09:48 PM
hmm now just found another noise ! ! lol im going crazy. Just took car for another drive then and couldnt get the squeaky noise behind the steering wheel to start up again, however, now i notice that when im driving and my rev needle points around 4k revs on my rev gauge, i can hear a noise (bzzzz), and i got no idea what it could b ! ! >_<
For this 4k problem, you need to stop being paranoid. Hehehe.

Felix
04-03-2008, 10:23 PM
when im driving and my rev needle points around 4k revs on my rev gauge, i can hear a noise (bzzzz),

Possibly just your exhaust resonating to a certain note (noise)??
My teg VTIR did exactly this, but was at around 5.5k RPM.

EuroDude
05-03-2008, 08:39 AM

Something is loose in the car, which vibrates at a certain RPM/frequency.

Revving at a certain RPM is the best way to find an intermittent rattle ;)

SuperSteve
05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
yeah i think thats a rattle noise that bzzz sound i hear at 4k. Ill do some investigating and see how i go. As for the noise with the steering i did hear that 2day. Thank you all for ur help ! !

Philip Lee
05-03-2008, 03:30 PM
so any verdict to the steering noise?

SuperSteve
05-03-2008, 03:47 PM
mayb my imagination. I will take a good look if it comes back and repost what the cause was :)

Mugen_B16B
26-11-2008, 11:03 AM
did u ever find out what was the noise? since the uk ctr's had heaps of issues with steering racks, im also having the same problem as u atm, its driving me crazy

denrie
26-11-2008, 02:44 PM
does EP3 have electric power steering?

SuperSteve
26-11-2008, 06:19 PM
did u ever find out what was the noise? since the uk ctr's had heaps of issues with steering racks, im also having the same problem as u atm, its driving me crazy

Yeah i found out it was my steering rack. I was told by many its not a safety issue and is just a annoying noise thats why UK honda didnt do a recall and replaced the steering rack over there under warranty. So u can put up with it OR do what i did, i took it to my mechanic and they sprayed oil/grease not sure which 1 into my steering rack and that stopped the creaking noise. Cost me 50bucks so its better then paying over 700 for a steering rack which someone got quoted from peddlers.

Mugen_B16B
26-11-2008, 06:52 PM
hahaha i didnt read this part but i posted in the other thread first lol thanks heaps man ill let u no how it goes

SuperSteve
26-11-2008, 07:30 PM
nps good luck

Hey is the noise u are getting a knocking noise ?? or a squeeking/creaking noise ??
Because the steering rack problem makes squeeking/creaking/rubbing noise when u turn ur steering wheel aswell as accelerate. But anyways takes it to a good mechanic and see what they reckon. Hope u get the problem fixed and let me know how u go :)

naddy
19-03-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey guys. I was driving home 2day from work when (i dont know if it was my imagination) i was hearing squeaks coming from behind my steering wheel when i was turning while accelerating. Stand still i cant hear it though. But when i accelerated and jiggled the steering wheel a bit i could feel and hear a squeaking noise. I took it around to Toda to have a look but i couldnt get it to happen again ! ! ! god dam ! ! ! but yeah just wondering anyone else getting this ??

It could have been a blow taillight globe that was making the noises which was sitting and rattling away in my drivers side door panel but the fact that i could slightly feel something while the squeak noises were happening on the steering wheel makes me wonder. >_< this is doing my head in ! ! !

omg i get the same thing!

it only happens when i accellerate and turn at the same time

so WD40 or Grease up the steering wheel should fix it? but it feels like its INSIDE the steering column

im about to take it to my mechanic, hopefully he doesnt bend me over =(

SuperSteve
19-03-2009, 06:51 PM
omg i get the same thing!

it only happens when i accellerate and turn at the same time

so WD40 or Grease up the steering wheel should fix it? but it feels like its INSIDE the steering column

im about to take it to my mechanic, hopefully he doesnt bend me over =(

Take to Hannys mate. They will know what the problem is. They fixed it good for me

naddy
20-03-2009, 06:56 AM
who what and where is hannys?

i live in sydney, yennora area

SuperSteve
20-03-2009, 09:57 PM
hanny's performance

owner :Mr Robert
tel: 02-97255115
unit 3, 28 victoria street
smithfield
NSW 2164

naddy
23-03-2009, 07:03 AM
thanks dude
ill call him this week

LittleDragon^^
26-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Sorry to dig up this thread guys...has this problem been rectified for the 04+ ep3s?

SuperSteve
26-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Sorry to dig up this thread guys...has this problem been rectified for the 04+ ep3s?

ill say its steering rack issue aswell cause im sure they both use the same steering rack someone correct me if im wrong.

what symptons u getting mate ??

LittleDragon^^
26-11-2009, 09:13 PM
ill say its steering rack issue aswell cause im sure they both use the same steering rack someone correct me if im wrong.

what symptons u getting mate ??

I've done some more reading and the steering problem is fixed with the 04+ models. They've changed the ratios of the steering rack??

I don't have these symptoms since I don't own an EP3...yet! haha...I'm looking to change my car and the 04+ EP3-R is on top of the list at the moment.

SuperSteve
26-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I've done some more reading and the steering problem is fixed with the 04+ models. They've changed the ratios of the steering rack??

I don't have these symptoms since I don't own an EP3...yet! haha...I'm looking to change my car and the 04+ EP3-R is on top of the list at the moment.

hmmm weird cause im sure i read that people with FL models in uk with there ep3's also had the problem. But yeah its a easy fix i wouldnt worry 2 much if u get a squeaky steering rack problem. Had it ages ago and the noise hasnt come back since i got it fixed

LittleDragon^^
26-11-2009, 11:07 PM
hmmm weird cause im sure i read that people with FL models in uk with there ep3's also had the problem. But yeah its a easy fix i wouldnt worry 2 much if u get a squeaky steering rack problem. Had it ages ago and the noise hasnt come back since i got it fixed

Were the FL EP3Rs JDM versions or the EDM versions?

Yours was fixed by regreasing the steering rack, right?

itzdoe
29-11-2009, 05:40 PM
mine's also buzzing in 4k rpm. looks like the exhaust or something. and it happen only if i keep the rpm stayed at 4k, and only occurs in 1st or 2nd gear. anyone knows?