PDA

View Full Version : BuddyClub N+ Adjustment?

Zilli
08-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Hey all, i need some advice.

Does anyone know how to adjust the ride height on these coilovers? I didnt fit them myself so i dont know.

It appears as though there are 2 parts underneath where the spring sits, i think they are referred too as the upper and lower perch?

In any case, i tried to turn them with the key and they wont turn, i realise there may be dirt in there that would need to be cleaned out but i figured i would ask before i push them harder.

I would presume i need to do the bottom one first? do i then need to do the one above it? am i turning clockwise or anti clockwise to lower it?

Also, if there is thread showing between the mout and where the perches currently are, does that mean theoretically i can screw them down right down until there is not more thread showing?

THanks for your help guys

EG5
08-03-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.buddyclub.com.au/2007/n_plus/bottom_urethane.jpg

Adjust them from the bottom one only as shown in pics

leave the top 2 perch alone.

Zilli
08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Sorry Yonas, are you talking about the black bit you can see in the picture above?

The guy who installed them told me there was no more to go in terms of drop, but there is still a hell of a lot of thread showing... does that mean i can go until theres no more thread showing?

bennjamin
08-03-2008, 04:27 PM
No. That would ruin your shocks travel and make your ride bumpy/ crap.

You adjust the UPPER 2 perches until the spring is captive IE held.Then you adjust the LOWER perch to whatever drop you want. IT it is bottoming out , then that is as low as you should go.

You CAN drop the TOP 2 perches down to further lower your ride but that will be bad for handling and your shocks. Slap the monkey that installed your shocks and jack it up and do it yourself :)
Use a tape measure to make sure both sides are equal :)

Zilli
08-03-2008, 04:33 PM
understandable, but was just interested to see if in fact you can drop it as low as that, thats what i thought when i saw all of the bare thread.

It is not bottoming out right now, and there is about an inch and a hlaf of thread to go (tempted but not stupid)...

THe top two perches are now set up to be captive already, im sure he has used the bottom (BLACK RIGHT??????) perch to adjust the height... The thing is the key supplied doesnt seem to grab the black bottom perch the way it does the top two anodised red ones....

You have the same coils right Ben??? lil help? also am i going clockwise or anti clockwise?

bennjamin
08-03-2008, 04:38 PM
understandable, but was just interested to see if in fact you can drop it as low as that, thats what i thought when i saw all of the bare thread.

It is not bottoming out right now, and there is about an inch and a hlaf of thread to go (tempted but not stupid)...

THe top two perches are now set up to be captive already, im sure he has used the bottom (BLACK RIGHT??????) perch to adjust the height... The thing is the key supplied doesnt seem to grab the black bottom perch the way it does the top two anodised red ones....

You have the same coils right Ben??? lil help? also am i going clockwise or anti clockwise?

Once the spring is captive , the bottom perch (shown as the red annodized part and the black perch) can only go down sofar. Black = right.
The key/s supplied should be one big one and one small one. (for top and bottom) You can use a flathead screwdrive and a decent "tap" from a hammer to unlock it and move it by hand.

To raise the perches , you go anti-clockwise ( perches scroll up)

make sense ?

Zilli
08-03-2008, 04:45 PM
sweet... both spanners i got were the large size, i gotta go back to these people, they've been promising me ****in racing boots for 4 months...

It all makes sense now dude, thank you.

Just one more question, so what you're saying is, if i cant get the black one to rotate enough to move the height anymore, then the only way to do it now is to work on the top two correct?

bennjamin
08-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Just one more question, so what you're saying is, if i cant get the black one to rotate enough to move the height anymore, then the only way to do it now is to work on the top two correct?

Yes.

Use plenty of WD40 or similar to avoid scratching the thread and perches. Its not that hard....you can lower /raise the car with the suspension still installed. G/L

aaronng
08-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Are you trying to adjust the front or rear coils? With some BC N+ rear coils, like for DC5R, there is actually another height adjustment inside after you take the spring off.

tRipitaka
08-03-2008, 07:49 PM
undo the top two perches so that the spring isn't compressed.. then raise it up to the bottom of the spring, lock it in..

you can then rotate the whole shock (where the thread is) up or down..
down to make it lower, up to make it higher..

when you're happy, lock the lower perch in and you're done

Zilli
10-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Aaronn, neither the front nor rear in particular, just trying to figure it out, i had the fronts in front of me at the time...

tRipitaka, i think i understand what you are trying to say, just cant seem to visualise the whole shock turning whilst its on the car... i have to see the company that did the job to get the lower perch key for a start, and see if there were instructions that they didnt give me...

thanks for your help

kyobibi
11-03-2008, 11:00 AM
I dont think you need c-spanners to adjust the lower perch..
As it's only held by 1 lock.

Do as Ben suggested (use a flathead screwdriver and a tap from a hammer to unlock), then turn the whole coilover clockwise to lower, or anti-clockwise to raise.

Zilli
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM
so would i be aiming at turning the lower perch anti clockwise to unlock it?

kyobibi
11-03-2008, 02:21 PM
yup!!

Zilli
11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
i think i gotta drench it in WD40

bennjamin
11-03-2008, 02:50 PM
spray alot of WD40 to make sure it is well lubricated.
ffs

Zilli
11-03-2008, 02:52 PM
thanks Ben... ffs

:-P

kraiye
31-05-2008, 11:57 AM
search is my friend
gonna go play with my N+ now. thanks guys

ffs

btw, how do you adjust dampening?

aaronng
31-05-2008, 01:05 PM
There should be a knob on top of the upper mount.

YaMiKaZe
22-10-2008, 10:15 AM
hey guys i cant seem to turn my whole shock? do i just grab and twist?

YaMiKaZe
22-10-2008, 11:10 AM
ok so i got the shock body to twist a lil bit.seems to be stuck now as wen i turn the perch to twist the shock body it just loosens.
seems like the threads are stuck and wont twist anymore, any suggestions?

YaMiKaZe
23-10-2008, 08:51 PM
anyone?

saxophonias
04-11-2008, 11:17 AM
http://www.miraclegarage.com/

Register here! They are Buddy Club experts!! They can give valuable help!

bennjamin
04-11-2008, 11:38 AM
anyone?

if you havent , take the entire shock out and lay it on its side. Grab a tape measure too for accuracy. Try again

Vtecyo
26-04-2009, 08:37 PM
sorry for bringin up this ol thread.
And thanks saxophonias for the link :D

Ive been under my teg all day trying to raise my teg cos i got defected lol.

Ive managed to raise 3/4 struts....
However i had to leave my back right as i couldnt get it loose.
I have loosend the black lock nut and removed the entire lower control arm. I have spray with WD40 and i still cant get the lower perch free.

Im guessing it has corroded or somthing.
I have tryed my hardest with the aid of 3 guys to hold the strut and with a strew driver thought the bottom to twist it free but it still wont move.

Any body have any advice or suggestions on how i can undo the locked part without wrecking the threads....
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8716/wontturn.th.png (http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wontturn.png)

cheers

Killa From Manila
26-04-2009, 08:59 PM
try twisting it with a vice grip? maybe wrap a rag around it so it doesnt get damaged.

saxophonias
26-04-2009, 09:05 PM
wow. I guess there is rust and corrosion of foreign materials there! I think that this coilover is rust free so you need somehow to clear the place of dust etc. Try to wash the area with shampoo and water (use high pressure) and then lubricate as much as you can. If it doesn't help try to beat it with a hammer but be gentle so as not to mess it. If this won't work send these guys a post. They are very helpful.

Vtecyo
28-04-2009, 04:42 PM
well yes saxophonias it was all rusted up as i also guessed.
They arnt too old but still had a lot of rust down in the thread:(
All i did was drench it with WD40 and let it sit with some small taps up and down to try and break the lock. I had so many trys at getting it off and i was gonna try spray some cold spray to shrink the thread and heat the outer case to expand it.
However I didnt need to do that, Just a last go with man power loosened it up.

I was trying to prevent useing vice grips as the alloy and the thread would be damaged very easly.

There is just a little bit of past experience incase some1 has the same problem.:)

kraiye
29-04-2009, 10:42 AM
good stuff. gladu finallygot there.
mine a stuckpretty bad too so i'll be soaking them in wd / inox etc before i try again.

cheers.

mrwillz
29-04-2009, 10:46 AM
how many km's have u guys had the n+ for/>

cymax
29-04-2009, 12:09 PM
I think pictures tells a thousand words and video tells you everything...hehe...
see the link below. It should help. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89-Pr4jCpc

SiReal
29-04-2009, 12:14 PM
good link but his accent is torture lol... howdy hoooo

Vtecyo
29-04-2009, 10:30 PM
I have only had the N+s on my car for maybe 2 mouths. And i was told they were like 3 or 4 mouths old when i bought them...

It was so stuck i actualy drove around on it for a day with the lock not locked down.

The rust was on the back right. I cleaned it up as much as i could with wd40 and a wire brush.( still there but not as bad). i got a layer of wd40 on them when i did them back up. Might raise my car in a mouth or so, hope its not stuck next time..

CRSEX
03-05-2009, 02:53 AM
sorry for bringin up this ol thread.
And thanks saxophonias for the link :D

Ive been under my teg all day trying to raise my teg cos i got defected lol.

Ive managed to raise 3/4 struts....
However i had to leave my back right as i couldnt get it loose.
I have loosend the black lock nut and removed the entire lower control arm. I have spray with WD40 and i still cant get the lower perch free.

Im guessing it has corroded or somthing.
I have tryed my hardest with the aid of 3 guys to hold the strut and with a strew driver thought the bottom to twist it free but it still wont move.

Any body have any advice or suggestions on how i can undo the locked part without wrecking the threads....
http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8716/wontturn.th.png (http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wontturn.png)

cheers

Hey mate, i have buddy clubs racing spec dampers on my ef8 and to lower or raise you car, you shouldn't turn the black nut!
Losen the small red nut down so you can adjust the big red nut up or down to adjust your hight and then when you have the hight you want, turn the small red nut back up to lock the big red nut in place!

CRSEX
03-05-2009, 02:57 AM
you can do all this without taking any part of your coilover of your car..

Killa From Manila
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Hey mate, i have buddy clubs racing spec dampers on my ef8 and to lower or raise you car, you shouldn't turn the black nut!
Losen the small red nut down so you can adjust the big red nut up or down to adjust your hight and then when you have the hight you want, turn the small red nut back up to lock the big red nut in place!

u can adjust it that way but then u are also changing the spring preload. its better to leave the spring preload as is and adjust the lower perch independantly. this way u also dont alter suspension travel.

lil_foy
03-05-2009, 07:45 PM
What you do without taking the coils out of the car is.

Undo the bottom ring and wind it up the amount you want to drop the car.

Then spin the actual thread with your hand until the ring is at the base again.

If you cant spin with your hand use the top ring below the coil itself but make sure the bottom one is tight. This will spin the whole coil with ease.

I lowered my car down in like 5mins with taking wheels off per side.

mrwillz
05-08-2009, 10:01 AM
u can adjust it that way but then u are also changing the spring preload. its better to leave the spring preload as is and adjust the lower perch independantly. this way u also dont alter suspension travel.

ive been told this method
sounds logical anyway

whats the size tools i need to get both front and rear done? for an ek

RtN
05-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Just need your C spanners!

Killa From Manila
07-08-2009, 04:19 PM
ive been told this method
sounds logical anyway

whats the size tools i need to get both front and rear done? for an ek

c spanners, 14mm socket, 17mm socket, umm thats about it lol. might need a 12mm in there. and ul need another 17mm spanner or socket to hold the nut while u undo the bolt from the bottom of the rear coilver if are undoing the lca. this isnt needed if ur just gonna spin the strut while its still all connected. if ur doing it that way id suggest putting some tape around the thread and just mark a point on it. this way u can tell how many times u turn it. 1 turn = 2mm of height on buddyclub N+