PDA

View Full Version : Steering noise?

Zilli
08-03-2008, 02:03 PM
today i took a wheel off toe take a look at my coilovers, and as i did the usual side to side of the hub to check for any noise and im getting a clunking, from what i think is the steering rack.

Its almost as if there is half an inch of slack, and after the slack i get a clunking sound... is this normal?

Zilli
08-03-2008, 04:16 PM
would love too dude! but the sound seems to be a little bit further to the centre of the rack, its probably normal, and i dont notice this noise when driving normally

Bludger
08-03-2008, 05:04 PM
your car has less km's than mine, i wouldn't worry about it.

Zilli
08-03-2008, 05:09 PM
true true! but im a fussy bastard :-)

ricki_kalsi
08-03-2008, 06:20 PM
your car has less km's than mine, i wouldn't worry about it.

What advice is that???

Doesn't matter how many KM's your car has!!!

If it's suspension problem... it will be serious. So my advise is go get it checked out - for your safety.

Have you checked your power steering fluid? The noise could be suspention - spring related... get it checked out!

Bludger
09-03-2008, 08:41 AM
What advice is that???

Doesn't matter how many KM's your car has!!!

If it's suspension problem... it will be serious. So my advise is go get it checked out - for your safety.

Have you checked your power steering fluid? The noise could be suspention - spring related... get it checked out!Its my advice, most ppl here don't like the way i think....

I'm assuming its just some random noise that he never noticed b4.....
willing to bet on this too

Zilli
10-03-2008, 07:06 AM
Thanks Phil, i might just do that, since im gonna hit them up for some sintructions on the coilover, and for the boots AND for the small lower perch spanner...

Cheers

bennjamin
10-03-2008, 07:08 AM
you bought that low jack off jeremy....are you sure you know how to use it lol ? gosh dam DIY it son

Zilli
10-03-2008, 07:23 AM
cmon Benn, be nice ! :-) i'm a learner, i wouldnt know wtf to look for with this sort of thing... and i dont want to be messing up something like steering...

Prusso, if you see my coilover thread i was told there should be a small spanner to loosen the lower black perch... and i was told you can adjust whilst they are on the car?

Zilli
10-03-2008, 10:00 AM
have you tried playing with the height yet Phil?

mikul_ha
10-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Prusso I have buddyclub coilies and its on a dc5r.
you should have 2 C spanners, a small and large one.

I had the same noise not too long ago, it was like a popping/clunking sound. thought it was my cv joints or steering rack. got hannys to check it out and it turned out that the perch on the coilies got loose, they have to be on really really tight. like i used mallets and poles to tighten them up!

Zilli
10-03-2008, 06:20 PM
hmmmm.. probably explains why mine are so tight

i might take off the other wheel and check that side, but this is when the rack is being manipulated.... cant see how itd be the coilover

ricki_kalsi
10-03-2008, 11:25 PM
it's most probs where the spring is sitting. Most installers put a thin layer of grease on the spring seat, to stop it from cluncking around. Take it to a mechanic mate - IS motor racing, Touge Tune, Proconcept...

Zilli
11-03-2008, 06:26 AM
thanks mate, i'll let my mechnic know next time i take it in