PDA

View Full Version : Any point in the following mods?

Saget
09-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Just wondering if it was worthwhile in the following mods and what the benefit was:

Ultra Hyper Ignition System
Spoon Engine Torque Damper
Samco Radiator Hoses
Spoon High Tension Leads
J's Racing Engine Mount Set
Walbro EG/EK/DC2/DC5 500Hp Fuel Pump
Toda Racing B-Series Timing Belt
Skunk2 B18C Pro Series Intake Manifold

For some background this car is getting a Mugen intake, Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust, Toda headers and Hondata s200.

dc2dc2dc2
09-03-2008, 09:43 AM
Perhaps you should rethink it.
If you putting in stuff, that you have no idea what it does to your car.
Why bother ? Do some research and learn.

TheFranchise
09-03-2008, 09:49 AM
yeah it'll be worth it, but you should really be talking it through with your tuner first, they'll let you know whether you should bother or not.

hui
09-03-2008, 10:19 AM
just my two cents, once u have a fair understanding of how each of the parts you listed work, and what sorta benefits it'll have on your car, you'll build a better car.

a good way to approach modifying a car is to consider it as a chain, and you want every link to be strong as possible.

:thumbsup:

andiiso
09-03-2008, 10:31 AM
i think he is doing the research now, by asking ppl on this forum, not asking whether or not to do it, with the engine torque damper, my vtir vs my friends vtir he has one i dun, everytime i snap a gear from first to second i go all over the place, but his one go straight in, this can also be solved by stronger engine mounts or something aswell? anyone wanna confirm ?

Saget
09-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I can understand where dc2dc2dc2 is coming from. I have done some research into these products, i know what they are meant ot offer the end user in theory but I am trying to gauge from other Ozhonda members whether any of these products are a worthwhile addition and if so what benefits they have gained or should i not bother.

For instance:

Engine dampers are used to reduce the engine jerking around under heavy acceleration/deceleration enabling better power transfer and response through the gearbox and ground. The damper will absorb these vibrations whereas the engine mounts are solid and will transfer these vibrations throughout the cabin.

Btw this is a daily driven street car so engine mounts may not be a sensible choice.

Samco hoses can enable higher pressure and temperatures to run but is there any benefit to the street car, or is it just bling?

Fuel pump largely useless as I am not making enough power?
Timing belt perhaps not much use to an internally stock engine?
Skunk 2 intake manifold should create greater and faster airflow.

Etc...

45SET
09-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Ultra Hyper Ignition System - More spark to spark plugs (would work well with Spoon high tension leads)
Spoon Engine Torque Damper - reduce in cabin vibration (might need it with the engine mounts... and beacause they say "racing" in the name, you can guess they are going to be a bit more solid then normal)
Samco Radiator Hoses - there made of silcon rather then rubber... and are blue:D
Spoon High Tension Leads - Provide more spark to spark plugs (would work well with your Ultra Hyper Ignition System)
J's Racing Engine Mount Set - make the engine and gearbox move/vibrate less, giving better feed back and response (due to having "racing" in the name they may in solid, so expect vibration... expect less if you get the engine tourque dampner)
Walbro EG/EK/DC2/DC5 500Hp Fuel Pump - provides more fuel, would be most important at higher revs, or if you expect to get a fair bit of power in the future... 500hp might be a bit of over kill though.
Toda Racing B-Series Timing Belt - can never go wrong with a little bit of rice in your engine bay... and toda is good rice.
Skunk2 B18C Pro Series Intake Manifold - is most probably going to be a stock B18Cr intake manifold which has be ported... if you are seriously going to be getting this, look into getting a bigger throttle body also... or better yet, a throttle body and intake manifold that are port matched.

If you are going to get all these things, get them all done at the same time, and get your car tuned once to create less hassle and money spending.

Out of that list i would probably not bother with the Toda racing B-series timing belt and the Samco Radiator Hoses... as the OEM timing belt is perfectly fine, and the radiator hoses... well... i would replace the fan switch, radiator cap and thermostat before the hoses (note: replace both the fan switch and thermostat at the same time, with matching brands (mugen, buddy club etc))

Hope this helps :)

mikoZ
09-03-2008, 04:25 PM
borrow the tread to ask a qustion
is any sense to do following mod:
jdm prc intake manifold,
70mm throttle body
engine mounts
top fuel tie rod end
illgals camber bolt kit

EuroAccord13
09-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Spoon Engine Torque Damper - reduce in cabin vibration (might need it with the engine mounts... and beacause they say "racing" in the name, you can guess they are going to be a bit more solid then normal)

The torque damper actually increases your cabin vibration in most if not all cases, it's like having solid engine mounts so the feedback from the engine resonates to the damper and into the chassis of the car. The damper basically minimises the movement of engine so you can get more power to the ground

45SET
09-03-2008, 10:15 PM
The torque damper actually increases your cabin vibration in most if not all cases, it's like having solid engine mounts so the feedback from the engine resonates to the damper and into the chassis of the car. The damper basically minimises the movement of engine so you can get more power to the ground

Hmm... thats odd... i was always under the impression it was the opposite, as it worked in the same way a shock absorber would in your suspension ie the shocks takes the vibration of the road... not the chassis...

I guess you learn something everyday...

ricki_kalsi
10-03-2008, 08:52 AM
what car??? DC2 Type R, DC2, DC5???

ricki_kalsi
10-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Ultra Hyper Ignition System: Can be helpful - bigger injectors needed aswell.
Spoon Engine Torque Damper: Don't waste your money - either this or Engine mounts... Noth not needed
Samco Radiator Hoses: If stock radiator... no need. - don't waste your money
Spoon High Tension Leads: Good mod
J's Racing Engine Mount Set: Good mod, but would rather go Mugen.
Walbro EG/EK/DC2/DC5 500Hp Fuel Pump: yes
Toda Racing B-Series Timing Belt: No, if using stock cams - you can snap them.
Skunk2 B18C Pro Series Intake Manifold - If type R... don't bother. If not then YES! - along with a Spoon throttle body.

For some background this car is getting a Mugen intake, Fujitsubo Legalis R exhaust, Toda headers and Hondata s200.

Saget
10-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Car in question is a DC2R.

xtercii
13-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Out of that list i would probably not bother with the Toda racing B-series timing belt and the Samco Radiator Hoses... as the OEM timing belt is perfectly fine, and the radiator hoses... well... i would replace the fan switch, radiator cap and thermostat before the hoses (note: replace both the fan switch and thermostat at the same time, with matching brands (mugen, buddy club etc))

Hope this helps :)

Why would you use low temp fan switch and thermostat if the car is street driven?

string
13-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Hmm... thats odd... i was always under the impression it was the opposite, as it worked in the same way a shock absorber would in your suspension ie the shocks takes the vibration of the road... not the chassis...

A "shock absorber" doesn't absorb shocks, it transmits them to the chassis - the spring can store energy.

So they do work the same was as a suspension damper ;)

ricki_kalsi
14-03-2008, 08:46 AM
Why would you use low temp fan switch and thermostat if the car is street driven?

I guess assuming he drive quite hard, a lower Water temp is safer. Lower temp thermoswitch and thermostat with stock radiator will only lower temps 5-8 degrees driving normal.

It's all for reliablitiy - just like installing a oil cooler on a street driven car.