PDA

View Full Version : Jdm dc2r with wheel spacers!!!

dslt
09-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Hey guys, Im planning to put on some wheel spacers on my jdm dc2r to make it have a better stance, Just wondering has anyone got these on their car and does it affect the handling of the car? or is there any downside of these at all?

Cheers guys

bennjamin
09-03-2008, 07:15 PM
downside =

dangerous
illegal

Sums it up. Dont do it. Get new rims.

Spicey
10-03-2008, 05:57 AM
Yeah I use them on some of my cars (non-honda's) they are not ideal. Dont go over 10mm without changing your studs or using these...
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/11247287/Wheel_Spacer.jpg

Just get new wheels.

ricki_kalsi
10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
10MM!! Don't go over MAXIMUM 3 mm.

Just get new rims man!

macoman69
10-03-2008, 03:01 PM
why does everyone think spacers are the devil.
a hubcentric 5mm spacer is 99% safe to use.

Racecars use up to 20mm spacers ffs.

Just make sure the spacers you use are not a universal crappy one that moves all around your hub. If you can get your hands on a spacer that has less than 3-5mm movement you should be alright (Either JDM spacer or custom made).
If you dont get ones that fit snuggly around your studs than you may have problems with steering wheel vibrations etc.

People may say that because you are extending the hub you have less thread for the wheel nuts to grab onto. Allowing a greater sheering force, but there is no way that by daily driving or even the occasional track day will a stud shear off with a hubcentric 5mm spacer.

and btw unless your trying to fit some new brakes or something along those lines under your stock wheels than i probably would put a hold on the spacers cause you probably wouldnt feel that much of a difference.

So in the end yes wheels with a wider offset would be better to buy if you want better handling (even forged wheels for better steering response). But spacers are not as dangerous as everyone percieves them to be (AS LONG as you dont get shitty ones)

dslt
10-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah thats what i thought, I know alot of people that do drifting that use spacers.. they dont seem to have problems

ricki_kalsi
10-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Race cars also use extended wheel studs. If not one other massive hub bolts which are better than 5 little wheel nuts.

macoman69
11-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Yes but there is a big difference between a 5mm spacer to a 20mm spacer!
A 5mm spacer still leaves plenty of stud track for the wheel nuts.

If you had to go any bigger than 5mm then i would probably invest in ARP extended wheel studs.

Ricki_Kalsi - what makes you think having a 5mm spacer is so dangerous.... do you actually have any experience??

Drew
11-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Having a 5mm will leave a lot less thread for the nuts to hang onto using factory studs...

Get new wheels with a different offset and while you're at it get extended wheel studs and open ended nuts...

Doing so or using a spacer will change your turning circle and cornering ability of your car

NEVER EVER compare a race car to a production street car -_-

Next person that says "oh but race cars do it so it must be safe" will get a beating :thumbdwn:

At the end of the day

THEY ARE ILLEGAL

ricki_kalsi
11-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Ricki_Kalsi - what makes you think having a 5mm spacer is so dangerous.... do you actually have any experience??

As a matter of fact yes, I do. I put 8MM spacers on my wheels, and after driving for 2-3 hours... the bolts came loose - ie: not safe at all.

I would recommend you buy ARP extended wheel studs too.

macoman69
11-03-2008, 08:35 AM
As a matter of fact yes, I do. I put 8MM spacers on my wheels, and after driving for 2-3 hours... the bolts came loose - ie: not safe at all.

I would recommend you buy ARP extended wheel studs too.

Did you actually tension them up?? And btw i think 8mm is a different story but 5mm is fine.

macoman69
11-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Having a 5mm will leave a lot less thread for the nuts to hang onto using factory studs...

Get new wheels with a different offset and while you're at it get extended wheel studs and open ended nuts...

Doing so or using a spacer will change your turning circle and cornering ability of your car

NEVER EVER compare a race car to a production street car -_-

Next person that says "oh but race cars do it so it must be safe" will get a beating :thumbdwn:

At the end of the day

THEY ARE ILLEGAL

Ill agree that they are illegal, BUT anyone that is running an open air filter or exhaust is illegal as well so dont bring that crap into it.

A 5mm spacer will NOT leave a LOT less thread for wheel nuts. It take a way a little but no where near to put enough pressure on the wheel studs to shear off. And if you have the wheel nuts tensioned up how the hell are they supposed to get loose?

And BTW all you have to do is go down to QR to see how many ppl ARE actually using small spacers safely. They are racecars but they are also street driven. And for them to do hard track using stiff suspension, semis all day without have wheel nuts falling off or studs shearing off than id say its pretty safe to use on the road

CONSIDERING
- They are hubcentric
- They are no more than 5mm
- Wheel Nuts have been tensioned correctly

Drew
11-03-2008, 09:09 AM
a 5mm spacer takes 5mm off the thread... and thats a fair bit of thread to not have...

Doesn't matter if you torqued them down or not properly the extra stress can just strip the studs...
I'm not saying that it will; but it very well could happen

Running an open air filter or exhaust is not really a safety issue as such...

You wheel falling off; car spinning out of control and taking out some innocent pedestrian on the other hand is something to be concerned about it...

So stop trying to justify it and piss off

ricki_kalsi
11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Spacers are freaking spacers.

Drew has a great point about safety. Mods like exhaust and intakes being illegal aren't a safety hazard. Mods like Brakes and wheels are a safety hazard.

Macoman69 - I tightened them perfectly fine. Stop trying to justify it. 5mm is 5mm, that 5mm is HALF a CM, which is a s#%t load of thread you getting rid off. Feel free to use them if you want... but if your wheel falls off while your VTECing, I won't be remotely sympathetic. :)

Back to original statement - Buy new wheels with correct offset, orrr... if you HAVE to use spacers, buy ARP extended wheel studs.

macoman69
11-03-2008, 09:51 AM
a 5mm spacer takes 5mm off the thread... and thats a fair bit of thread to not have...

Doesn't matter if you torqued them down or not properly the extra stress can just strip the studs...
I'm not saying that it will; but it very well could happen

Running an open air filter or exhaust is not really a safety issue as such...

You wheel falling off; car spinning out of control and taking out some innocent pedestrian on the other hand is something to be concerned about it...

So stop trying to justify it and piss off

Ok fine lets put into perspective. Someone running canards on their car ive seen plenty of ppl do it yet if you hit someone chances are you will slice their freaken leg off.
Carbon bonnets and wings HEAPS of ppl running them yet everybody has heard what might happen if your in a head on collision with a carbon bonnet = no more head.

Ok lets say you take 5mm off the studs. I know at least 5 ppl that have been running a hubcentric spacer with no problems who track their cars and drive on the street and have had no problems in the years they have been running them, This is due to correct design and not shotty universal crappy spacers.

And just to prove you wrong look at what Muzz the freakin TECHNICAL MODERATOR for ozhonda has to say.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1136149&postcount=31

So before acting like a tough guy and telling ppl to piss off why dont you get your facts straight........fcukwit :wave:

thebob
11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83920&page=5

safe and legal way to do spacers.

marky53
12-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Ive got a dc2r with dc5r wheels and 3mm spacers on the front. With a wheel balance and alignment, the car handles smoothly and safely with no steering wheel vibrations.... Honestly, I cant notice they are there.....

dslt
12-03-2008, 08:41 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PAIR-3mm-WHEEL-RIM-SPACERS-HONDA-ACCORD-PRELUDE-CIVIC_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33586QQihZ017QQit emZ270217287128QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Arent these spacers?

ricki_kalsi
12-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Yes they are...

dslt
12-03-2008, 10:22 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-2000-TOYOTA-SEBRING-WHEEL-SPACERS-5X114-3X25MM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em122QQcat egoryZ42614QQihZ025QQitemZ380003104651QQrdZ1QQsspa genameZWD2V

then what are these? lolz

ricki_kalsi
12-03-2008, 10:25 AM
spacers with studs.

For bigger spacers... they add studs on them.

They do the same thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...a genameZWD2V - they are safer - wouldn't recommend dodgy Ebay brands though.

I'm sorry if you guys think spacers are not dodgy and are totally fine - I just don't share the same views.

Drew
13-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok fine lets put into perspective. Someone running canards on their car ive seen plenty of ppl do it yet if you hit someone chances are you will slice their freaken leg off.
Carbon bonnets and wings HEAPS of ppl running them yet everybody has heard what might happen if your in a head on collision with a carbon bonnet = no more head.

Ok lets say you take 5mm off the studs. I know at least 5 ppl that have been running a hubcentric spacer with no problems who track their cars and drive on the street and have had no problems in the years they have been running them, This is due to correct design and not shotty universal crappy spacers.

And just to prove you wrong look at what Muzz the freakin TECHNICAL MODERATOR for ozhonda has to say.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1136149&postcount=31

So before acting like a tough guy and telling ppl to piss off why dont you get your facts straight........fcukwit :wave:

All of a sudden we went from spacers to exhaust to canards

Change the topic why don't you... Third time lucky?

Really doesn't matter if they are safe or not... they are still illegal hubcentric or not

dynosaur
13-03-2008, 10:25 PM
can we use it as inner spacer if I alter (machined) the outer diameter ?

anybody know ?

macoman69
14-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Eh Drew honestly cant be bothered.
Each to their own.

bennjamin
14-03-2008, 09:11 AM
the first reply made most sense here

downside =

dangerous
illegal

Sums it up. Dont do it. Get new rims.

So , now that is out of the way is there anyone elese here with a DC2R that has "spacers" ?