PDA

View Full Version : Haltech interceptor

Chris_F
10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
http://www.haltech.com.au/images/interceptor.jpg

According to the Haltech website the Haltech Interceptor works with the Accord Euro.

Haltech Website (http://www.haltech.com/interceptor.htm)
Haltech Interceptor manual (.pdf) (http://www.haltech.com/downloads/Interceptor%20Manual.pdf)

The above link to the manual has a lot of information about how this particular piggy back works. Unlike other piggy backs this unit gives you fuel and ignition control and from what I can gather the standard ECU shouldn't be able to relearn like it does with a vafc.

A forum member said he was running the interceptor on his car - so hopefully he can add some first hand information to the thread.

What do you think? Viable alternative to the hondata flash?

Interceptor + tuning should be about $1500 from what I've read on other forums.

For those with a bit of tech knowledge about engine management, what are your thoughts?

aaronng
10-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Why wouldn't the ECU be able to relearn with the Haltech? It's still intercepting signals and altering them before passing it onto the ECU, just like the VAFC.

Does anyone know if the stock ECU adjusts the fuel trim during open-loop full throttle mode?

Chris_F
10-03-2008, 02:09 PM
Taken from the Haltech interceptor manual. Is this the same as how the VAFC works?

Fuel Control
When installing the Haltech Interceptor, the signal wire from the engine load sensor to the ECU is cut and rewired so that the sensor signal output goes into the Haltech Interceptor. The Haltech Interceptor then produces a new signal that is connected to the ECU input for the sensor. The interceptor can now make changes to the load signal of the engine so that the factory ECU thinks that the engine load is different to what it actually is.

The factory ECU has tables inside its memory that are used to calculate the required injection time to achieve the desired fuel mixture at various engine load and RPM sites. By altering the
engine load signal, the interceptor can alter the position in the tables that the factory ECU is using to calculate the injection time. Generally it is possible to enrich the fuel mixtures by
increasing the engine load signal, and to lean the fuel mixtures by reducing the engine load signal. Inside the Haltech Interceptor is a memory that retains its data even when the interceptor is turned off. Within this memory is a table of percentages that are mapped against engine RPM and engine load. The interceptor calculates the engine RPM and load, and then extrapolates a percentage out of the table that it can apply to the input load signal to produce an output signal altered by this percentage. The tuner of the Haltech Interceptor can tune the percentage tables to output an altered signal that results in the factory ECU thinking the engine load is different to the actual engine load and changing its injection time to achieve the desire fuel mixture ratio across various engine load and RPM.

Ignition Control
The engine position sensor is usually a Hall effect or Reluctor type sensor that is fitted to detect teeth, slots, or magnets on the crankshaft or camshaft of the engine. The factory ECU uses the signal produced by this sensor to calculate engine speed and position, and using this information, it can generate pulses that result in a spark at the desired ignition advance angle.
When installing the Haltech Interceptor, the signal wire from the engine position sensor to the ECU is cut and rewired so that the sensor signal output goes into the Haltech Interceptor. The Haltech Interceptor than produces a new signal that is connected to the ECU input for the sensor. The Haltech Interceptor can then alter the phasing of this signal to advance or delay the signal on its output relative to the true engine position. The result of this is that the factory ECU thinks the engine is in a slightly altered position to the actual position, and therefore it will produce its ignition spark advance output at a similarly altered position.

The Haltech Interceptor contains another table that works in a similar fashion to the table used for altering the engine load sensor described above. The tuner edits this table to provide ignition corrections over various engine load and RPM sites. The interceptor alters the engine position signal by the amount it extrapolates from the table. In this way the tuner can optimally tune the engine to the desired ignition timing. By intercepting the engine load and position sensors, the Haltech Interceptor can accurately control the factory ECU to deliver the optimal ignition time and fuel mixtures for all engine load and RPM conditions. In addition to fuel and ignition tuning, there may be other engine signals that can be used to alter engine performance. The Haltech Interceptor has been designed to allow the control of many engine components for optimal performance such as turbo boost pressure and variable cam timing. Additionally, the Haltech Interceptor can be used to override factory protection features like speed limiters and boost limiters.

The Haltech Interceptor is designed to work in perfect unison with the complex factory ECUson modern cars. It works as a package to provide control of all performance parameters, as wellas defeat unwanted protection features of the factory ECU.

aaronng
10-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately, the manual doesn't anything about being able to defeat the stock ECU's short and long term fuel trim adjustments.

The Haltech maual also confirms that the ECU self-learning can mess up the Haltech adjustments under closed loop mode. That was why I was wondering if the stock ECU also did the same in open loop mode.

Closed Loop Mode
Most factory ECUs use closed loop control of injection times at light loads. This means that the actual injection times are calculated after monitoring the exhaust mixtures with the O2 sensor. This is generally only done at light loads (cruising, idle) with a stoichiometric fuel mixture.
During closed loop mode, the factory ECU only uses the engine load sensor for the base injection time, and it then applies corrections to this time to get the mixture to stoichiometric. The impact of this on the Haltech Interceptor is that the factory ECU will tune around any fuel corrections made whilst in closed loop mode as it attempts to get back to stoichiometric fuel mixtures. If large corrections are made in the Haltech Interceptor fuel tables during the factory ECU closed loop mode, the factory ECU could generate a fault code if the closed loop corrections it must do fall outside of its normal expected range. It is recommended that fuel corrections done in closed loop mode should only be done to bring the tune closer to stoichiometric fuel mixtures.

Chris_F
10-03-2008, 02:22 PM
So in closed loop you're essentially letting the factory ECU do it's thing but in open loop the interceptor comes into play?

They list the accord euro as a model that has been "fully tested" so I'd assume and hope that means the re-tune isn't affected by re-learning of the factory ecu (in open loop mode at least). I might email haltech and ask them.

Suntzu
10-03-2008, 09:54 PM
I considered this as an option before I got my Mild Jtune.

A guy from these forums contacted me about it about 6 months ago but didn't follow through.

I did then contact haltech and they assured me it works fine with a euro and it wont "unlearn" any changes. This was in an email.

Needs someone to take the plunge.

Chris_F
10-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the input Suntzu.

I've emailed Haltech with a few questions myself and will let everyone know how they respond.

Do you know if it can control i-vtec?

Chris_F
11-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Haltech replied to my email (very quick response) A summary of the details in response to questions I asked:

The Interceptor will not control I-VTEC.

Haltech didn’t come across any problems with the ECU relearning ,but if your car has a 5 wire 02 sensor it may well be the case with closed loop o2 control. (the euro has a 4 wire 02 sensor as far as I know)

Power gains of 15kw -20kw on an accord euro with a pod filter and extractors.

Haltech is currently developing a new platform to support drive-by-wire and are looking doing more with Hondas in the future.

Sounds pretty good to me and you should be able to get one for about $1500 installed and tuned. I wonder how the gains compare to a mild reflash?

ALN
11-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Haltech replied to my email (very quick response) A summary of the details in response to questions I asked:

The Interceptor will not control I-VTEC.

Haltech didn’t come across any problems with the ECU relearning ,but if your car has a 5 wire 02 sensor it may well be the case with closed loop o2 control. (the euro has a 4 wire 02 sensor as far as I know)

Power gains of 15kw -20kw on an accord euro with a pod filter and extractors.

Haltech is currently developing a new platform to support drive-by-wire and are looking doing more with Hondas in the future.

Sounds pretty good to me and you should be able to get one for about $1500 installed and tuned. I wonder how the gains compare to a mild reflash?

I would say that's pretty good gains tho. I assumed the interceptor will only control the vtec engagement points not the vtc.

Chris_F
11-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Actually, I don't think it will control the vtec cross-over either.

But they say they are working on a drive-by-wire ecu so that should have more features

ALN
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Actually, I don't think it will control the vtec cross-over either.

But they say they are working on a drive-by-wire ecu so that should have more features

is it? I'm using e-manage ultimate and I just have driven it for 1 week since tuned 3 months ago, lowered vtec 5500 points still haven't changed tho, unlike the Vafc2 since I have tried both before. But if haltech will have stand alone ecu for DBW it would be much better.

Chris_F
11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
so if the e-manage ultimate doesn't re-learn the haltech interceptor should work fine. Does the e-manage ultimate control ignition timing or just fuel + vtec?

ALN
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
I think the stock ecu doesn't affect the settings of E-manage tho so far. It can control ignition timing as well, pretty much similar to haltech interceptor.

Chris_F
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
ahh very nice. So you have vtec control, but no VTC control with the e-manage. Do you think the piggy-back tuning is worth the cost?

ALN
11-03-2008, 05:47 PM
ahh very nice. So you have vtec control, but no VTC control with the e-manage. Do you think the piggy-back tuning is worth the cost?

Yeah they lowered it to 5500 rpm but no vtc control with the E-manage, when tuned by chasers at 40 degree, I got close to 12 kw gains on the top power. It is worth the money since it still have the resale value and higher gains compare to mild reflash.

Chris_F
11-03-2008, 06:47 PM
do you have a before and after dyno you can share? it'd be interesting to see the mid range increase aswell.

I wonder if there's a difference in accuracy between the e-manage and the haltech and if you're only taking the vtec point down to 5500rpm maybe vtec control isn't so important?

ALN
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
do you have a before and after dyno you can share? it'd be interesting to see the mid range increase aswell.

I wonder if there's a difference in accuracy between the e-manage and the haltech and if you're only taking the vtec point down to 5500rpm maybe vtec control isn't so important?

I'll ask chasers for the dyno sheet sometime this week since when the car was done I have already left to overseas for 3 months time, CL9_k24a the one that picked up the car.:D
Well e-manage supposedly can increase the rev limit however the power made only peak at 7000rpm so it seems no use to increase it for more than the standard one 7300 rpm that no power was made.

Chris_F
12-03-2008, 09:56 AM
I'll ask chasers for the dyno sheet sometime this week since when the car was done I have already left to overseas for 3 months time, CL9_k24a the one that picked up the car.:D
Well e-manage supposedly can increase the rev limit however the power made only peak at 7000rpm so it seems no use to increase it for more than the standard one 7300 rpm that no power was made.

that'd be great hopefully they still have the charts.

i think one reason some decide to raise the rev limit is so that when you change from first to second you reach vtec again sooner.

Omotesando
12-03-2008, 11:01 PM
I think the other reason to have a higher Rev limit is because in NA cars with fairly linear power output, the Gears and gear ratios pretty much fall inline with the accelerating power.

If 1 gear is shorter than another by say 25% to 30%, but the power output for the engine only drops 10-15% after reaching its peak power, from say 6000rpm to 7300 or 7600 rpm, then even if the power drops after the normal peak rpm or normal redline, it is still worth raising the redline limit.

I think with the Hondata updates, people who shift at higher RPMS should get a better quarter mile performance as well!