PDA

View Full Version : Audio specs on FD

geboy
10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi, Im really noob. I was just wondering, wat kinda speakers i could get to upgrade for my VTI without changing the stock headunit. Like is it 4' or 6' or both and how many way speakers (2,3,4)? Also how many speakers are there in the car that can be changed and their sizes please? AND wats the maximum watts it can take?

JaCe
10-03-2008, 11:33 PM
IIRC in the AUDM has only 4 speakers (2 in the front; one on each door) and 2 in the rear behind the back seat on the shelf. All are 6". Not too sure on the specs.

I was originally going to put in some high quality low power speakers but after talking to a few people realised that it probably wouldn't offer much improvement, ended up going with the amp/sub, and then later on adding splits.

trsc27
11-03-2008, 12:35 AM
Ive got a set of amplified Alpine Type R's in the rear and the standard ones in the front, makes a better sound than the 10 inch sub and the same speakers in my old car, I was once asked what sub i had in my boot :)

cracker
11-03-2008, 01:32 PM
man am i the only one who thinks this car comes with awesome stock speakers?

Whispaa
11-03-2008, 01:50 PM

:wave:
I do!

Well, they're not awesome but they're pretty good as stock speakers!

Frost_FD
11-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Yes i agree, pretty good for stock.

I am considering getting type R speakers for the fron and back.
Im also wondering if the head unit will be able to provide enought power to power these 4 speakers or i might have to get an amp

cracker
11-03-2008, 07:04 PM
:wave:
I do!

Well, they're not awesome but they're pretty good as stock speakers!

good man

renegadeice
11-03-2008, 07:09 PM
I'm happy with my stock speakers too :)

trsc27
11-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Whilst I agree the front ones are more than adequate, the rear speakers only have drivers the size of a 50c piece, if you want any sort of decent punch youll need something more substantial.

The type r's only just fit in the holes if you use the surrounds from the old rear speakers to mount them in, and because of the way they are mounted the boot the bass response is awesome

JaCe
11-03-2008, 09:02 PM

I liked them alot and thought they were comparable to much more expensive car's stock speakers. Even with the sub, I kept stock speakers and it still sounded alright. Of course once you amplify a set of splits you really feel the difference.

gerard
13-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Whilst I agree the front ones are more than adequate, the rear speakers only have drivers the size of a 50c piece, if you want any sort of decent punch youll need something more substantial.

The type r's only just fit in the holes if you use the surrounds from the old rear speakers to mount them in, and because of the way they are mounted the boot the bass response is awesome

The fronts are identical to the rears. So yes, the drivers are also 50c pieces lol.
Though I must agree they sound reasonable considering their meagre proportions

ktvin09
13-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Hi guys, I do think we have got 4 speakers in the FD, but what are those two "speaker" looking thingy hidden on each far side of the dash? (it's there in my VTI-L)

denot
13-03-2008, 10:52 AM
fake tweeters :p

ktvin09
13-03-2008, 12:01 PM
fake tweeters :p

So they are fake tweeters... Do u think I can install new tweeters in there?

denot
13-03-2008, 12:18 PM
So they are fake tweeters... Do u think I can install new tweeters in there?

not sure... maybe you can, but my friend install real tweeter on the top of them (maybe too small to fit a tweeter?)

cracker
13-03-2008, 05:45 PM
really fake tweeters?

wilzee
13-03-2008, 07:20 PM
really fake tweeters?

I don't think they are fake tweeters. I think that your able to install the tweeters in there. I've opened it up before and it's empty. Correct me if i'm wrong but I remember reading off a thread that asian countries (singapore/malaysia/thailand etc..) comes stock with tweeters because they pay more than us.

JaCe
13-03-2008, 08:54 PM
Malaysian/Singapore models come with tweeters inside the slot. AUDM model just have it empty so I got my tweeters installed there. Not sure about the 'fake tweeters' though since Lifestyle did it for me and I didn't ask them "was there something in there?" but there definitely is a place you can put them in.

jorn
13-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Ive installed my tweeters in there...you can run your wiring pretty easily
but you'll need to modify the lid...as in cut it..you'll see what i mean...

denot
14-03-2008, 08:48 AM
oopss... i create a confusion here... :p what I mean by "fake tweeters" is "
empty tweeter slots that you think theres tweeters there" :p

ktvin09
14-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Sounds great! Now I can fit tweeters in there :)

gerard
14-03-2008, 05:49 PM
the tweeters fit into the covers. there's a rim you can silicon your tweeters to. Some other forumers have suggested the sound staging is not good with the tweeters there though. I tried fitting a 2 way speaker on the weekend but gave up for the moment as it was too difficult to wire the tweeter to the door.

cracker
14-03-2008, 09:08 PM
why would they toy with out feelings like that...i was so innocent thinking they had tweeters inside :(

trsc27
15-03-2008, 03:50 AM
The fronts are identical to the rears. So yes, the drivers are also 50c pieces lol.
Though I must agree they sound reasonable considering their meagre proportions

Must just be the shape of the doors then because when I compared front to back the rears in mine sounded awful compared to the front ones

Riviera
15-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Ive got a set of amplified Alpine Type R's in the rear and the standard ones in the front, makes a better sound than the 10 inch sub and the same speakers in my old car, I was once asked what sub i had in my boot :)

what you got powering you type R's??? mine are underpowered by the V-power F250

JaCe
15-03-2008, 02:07 PM
why would they toy with out feelings like that...i was so innocent thinking they had tweeters inside :(

LOL asian markets have it?

I remember the salesman thought it had tweeters in there too- in all fairness I didn't care that much and the car had *just* launched so I will let it slide that he didn't know.

markCivicVti
15-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Are there 2 tweeter positions?? I can only see one... I do have hondas interior trim set installed... would that cover one of them? The one I can see is above the passengers airbag panel thingy-majiggy.

I think if they did cover up the tweeter slot I'd complain... maybe i'm just to silly and it's right infront of me.

markCivicVti
15-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I got the bass works package.. and as much as I love it... and that it sounds pretty good... i'm finding myself wanting something a bit better... so thinking i might replace the two front speakers and perhaps have tweeters installed.

I'd prefer not to lose boot space to subs tho..

cracker
15-03-2008, 04:12 PM
what you got powering you type R's??? mine are underpowered by the V-power F250

alpine 4 life

JaCe
16-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Are there 2 tweeter positions?? I can only see one... I do have hondas interior trim set installed... would that cover one of them? The one I can see is above the passengers airbag panel thingy-majiggy.

I think if they did cover up the tweeter slot I'd complain... maybe i'm just to silly and it's right infront of me.

Not sure TBH but if you can see one, the other one will be on the exact same position on the other side (i.e. directly under the glass dash ... where the glass meets plastic?)

trsc27
20-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Mine are slightly underpowered by a cheap Lightning Audio amp i used to drive my old 10inch sub with in my old car, when i get around to replacing the fronts ill get a proper 4 channel amp

Frost_FD
12-05-2008, 06:14 PM
I just called honda and they said our OEM HU brand is alpine and speakers are pioneer.

Can any one confirm this?

dmx
12-05-2008, 06:58 PM
ED, EG, EK, as far as i know with Alpine.
but FD is Thai made, so .....

vunbin
25-05-2008, 09:22 PM
LOL asian markets have it?

Yes, they do have it, last year when I went back to my country in Malaysia and got a quote, the price is RM16 ~ AUS6 for 1 tweeter, harnesses sold separately.

dannybubu
26-05-2008, 10:22 AM
I just called honda and they said our OEM HU brand is alpine and speakers are pioneer.

Can any one confirm this?

yep i called honda ages ago and said that the speakers are pioneer but not sure about the HU being alpine...

tonz
26-05-2008, 12:10 PM
There are actually 6 speakers that can be changed in the FD series civics.

Tweeters at the front (near windscreen). Front and rear speakers are both 6" 2 ways.

I went with 4 way 6" speakers front and back and left the stock tweeters, no amp or sub and the sound is really good.

ssr
26-05-2008, 06:56 PM
sorry to burst your bubble, there are NO tweeter in the civic.

i did the sound system in my bros car, and i opened up the specker cover to put new tweeter in, and there was nothing in there.

There are actually 6 speakers that can be changed in the FD series civics.

Tweeters at the front (near windscreen). Front and rear speakers are both 6" 2 ways.

I went with 4 way 6" speakers front and back and left the stock tweeters, no amp or sub and the sound is really good.

Shimian
26-05-2008, 11:09 PM
For rears, not much to choose from from Alpine. Im assuming 6.5" speakers will fit as our stock are 6"? These are the ones ive filtered without the tweeters for the rear speakers only. Set up will be rear speakers only with no sub/amp.

Type S
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=382

Type R
http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=317

So which one to go for?

adylim
27-05-2008, 12:10 AM
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=3&series_id=34&family_id=29&item_id=91973&locale=en_US&p_status=

How about this one??? would it fit in our front or rear for a VTI 08 model??? a 6.5"....tight fit? or have to cut some place to fit it in??? and is it nice??? And can i use 2 set of this to put 4 tweeters and 2 of these RF speaker front and 2 at back....then 2 tweeters at front, 2 tweeters at back....have anyone tried this way??? or anyone reckon it will be nice??

ssr
27-05-2008, 12:13 AM
why don't you want any tweeters in the rearshelf??? get any coaxial speaker and you'll be ALOT happier with it then just a 6 inch woofer.
if your looking to upgrade the standard udio system in the car your in the WRONG forum....
go through mobileelectronics and learn a thing or 2

ssr
27-05-2008, 12:20 AM
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=3&series_id=34&family_id=29&item_id=91973&locale=en_US&p_status=

How about this one??? would it fit in our front or rear for a VTI 08 model??? tight fit? or have to cut some place to fit it in??? and is it nice???

they're nice but for the price you can find much better bang for buck

adylim
27-05-2008, 12:25 AM
ooo, i am paying for 200 bucks each set...with 1 yr warranty

ssr
27-05-2008, 12:27 AM
ooo, i am paying for 200 bucks each set...with 1 yr warranty

yeah go for it mate

adylim
27-05-2008, 12:32 AM
Will they fit without cutting anything??? as in like good fit without cutting anything??? And how about 2 sets of the T162S??? 2 tweeters at front and also 2 tweeters at back....then the 2 speaker at front 2 speaker at back....are they gonna work??? anyone tried this setup??? if its not nice then wat would be better???

ssr
27-05-2008, 12:36 AM
the front will work, but you'll need some cutting if your planning to uses splits in the back, unless you use molds

adylim
27-05-2008, 12:38 AM
i am asking about the tweeters too...would it be a waste of money to do 4 tweeters??? 2 for back 2 for front?

trsc27
27-05-2008, 12:53 AM
I fit a set of Alpine type r 6.5" splits in the rear parcel shelf easy, no cutting was required at all.

It all fit nicely under the standard speaker covers too so it looks stock from the outside

adylim
27-05-2008, 01:17 AM
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...n_US&p_status=
can i use 2 set of this to put 4 tweeters and 2 of these RF speaker front and 2 at back....then 2 tweeters at front, 2 tweeters at back....have anyone tried this way??? or anyone reckon it will be nice?? That was my question....no one answered me T_T....4 tweeters would be nice or wat??? 2 back 2 front or 4 front, or i am thinking 2 front then 2 above the seat belt of the front driver and passenger seat, is that better??? Anyone tried these setup or have any comments???

Shimian
27-05-2008, 08:57 AM
I fit a set of Alpine type r 6.5" splits in the rear parcel shelf easy, no cutting was required at all.

It all fit nicely under the standard speaker covers too so it looks stock from the outside

Nice. Does it sound ok? Do you have amp/sub installed too?

adylim
27-05-2008, 10:08 AM
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=3&series_id=34&family_id=15&item_id=95103&locale=en_US&p_status=

Will this one at the back need any cutting??? its a 6"x9" coaxial....

sydfd
24-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Hey everyone

So if i change my speakers and ill still be using the stock Head Unit will it make alot of difference?

Not worth my $$ or is IT ???

trsc27
24-07-2008, 10:21 PM
Nice. Does it sound ok? Do you have amp/sub installed too?

No sub, the amp just powers the type r's and is fitted to the underside of the metal part of the parcel shelf

I am intending to install some front speakers when i can be bothered but i have been asked if i have a sub in my car by a few people

And with the line converters the stock headunit sounds fine to me

wilzee
03-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Hey guys! I'm looking at getting a set of splits at the front. I'm thinking about getting the jaycar response 6.5 inch splits. I would like to know what pple are running in the fronts set and the size.

I heard response speakers from jaycar are pretty good. Can anyone confirm this! Thanks. :D

Stig
04-12-2009, 01:23 AM
running alpine spx-17ref (6.5') at the fronts

wilzee
04-12-2009, 08:01 AM
running alpine spx-17ref (6.5') at the fronts

Nice speakers!

I would like to know if you had any issues mounting them on? Just because the speakers on the stock are 6 inches.

Muzzy
04-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I'm happy with my stock speakers too :)

I'm more than happy with stock speakers also :)

fitme
04-12-2009, 09:28 AM
heeh i happy with the stock...just pump it up a little bit

6,4 and ON (press at the same time) (DIAG will appear)
press 4 (FLAT)
press OFF
press ON..

too bad you need to this everytime you start...

Stig
04-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Nice speakers!

I would like to know if you had any issues mounting them on? Just because the speakers on the stock are 6 inches.

yeah i had to make the hole bigger at the bottom to fit the magnet in

aero
04-12-2009, 04:49 PM
i'd like some more bass in my car. would it be ok to put in a sub or two and and an amp off the stock head unit?

Stig
04-12-2009, 05:27 PM
it is okay to do that, but what i felt was that the oem speakers sound like it needed to "catch up" to the subs when i had that set up

sophiekate
05-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Hi does anyone know if I get the front tweeters from Honda Asia is it an easy install...

wilzee
05-12-2009, 09:43 AM
i'd like some more bass in my car. would it be ok to put in a sub or two and and an amp off the stock head unit?

I did that with my car. I put a single 12 inch JL sub at the back and amped it. It definately makes a difference! on my stock audio system, i put the bass to -2 and the treble up to 6. And to me, my system set up sounds really good. But after a while like all things, you desire something better. That's why I'm looking at get splits at the front. But yeah dude, i recommend it. and if you're not happy, buy a set of splits as well.

wilzee
05-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Hi does anyone know if I get the front tweeters from Honda Asia is it an easy install...

How about getting a pair of decent aftermarket splits? I'm sure it'd be worth your money rather than buying stock tweeters. :thumbsup:

sophiekate
05-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Can you recomend someone in Melbourne to do a neat job

curtis265
06-12-2009, 10:34 PM
ooh i'm late to the party.

big question for this thread - do you have lots of bass on the front door speakers, but the rear deck absolutely weak??

Try moving your fader around

threesix
07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
heeh i happy with the stock...just pump it up a little bit

6,4 and ON (press at the same time) (DIAG will appear)
press 4 (FLAT)
press OFF
press ON..

too bad you need to this everytime you start...

everytime??!?? hmmmm....

Datuk
14-12-2009, 07:17 AM
what diff does it make?

wilzee
14-12-2009, 11:51 AM
what diff does it make?

I tried it a few weeks ago.. My system went all bisurk.. :eek:

threesix
14-12-2009, 12:01 PM
ever since ive done it its been fine... and louder! lol

cbl25
21-12-2009, 06:47 PM
thanks for the audio type. def can tell a difference!

now in the market for a new headunit but just wondering where you guys think is the best place the source the double din fascia for my 08 civic? what price am i looking at paying for it?

thanks
chris

curtis265
22-12-2009, 03:02 PM
thanks for the audio type. def can tell a difference!

now in the market for a new headunit but just wondering where you guys think is the best place the source the double din fascia for my 08 civic? what price am i looking at paying for it?

thanks
chris

You'd probs have to go OEM or look at JDMyard's OEM parts.