PDA

View Full Version : Gear box oil

icecrm
11-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Just a noob question, with Hondas, i heard that when changing gearbox oil, you should use engine oil instead of gearbox oil

is this true? or is the person who told me this the noob

Drew
11-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Honda actually used to use engine oil in gearboxes until they got their MTF which they now use/recommend/put into car...

The change happened sometime in the 90s

Limbo
11-03-2008, 09:49 AM
yeah i heard the same as drew. Run the gearbox oil, it must be better otherwise why would they make it?

I have heard of some people who have gearbox prob using engine oil and it fixed their problems, but its a pot luck game

aaronng
11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Honda's MTF 06 gearbox oil has the same viscosity as engine oil (75w80 / 10w-30 equivalent)

Drew
11-03-2008, 12:53 PM
yeah i heard the same as drew. Run the gearbox oil, it must be better otherwise why would they make it?

I have heard of some people who have gearbox prob using engine oil and it fixed their problems, but its a pot luck game

Thats because how it was...

It wouldn't fix any problems but cover them up; they will eventually resurface

aaronng
11-03-2008, 01:15 PM

I think (my opinion) the main reason why Honda gearboxes used engine oil back then was because they required a thinner oil than most aftermarket gearbox oils out there. Honda MTF is 75w80 (equivalent to 10w-30), while other brands including Redline sell 75w90. It's a small difference but that is my guess why Honda used 10w-30 engine oil until MTF came out.

Drew
11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
^^^ What Aaron said

icecrm
11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
so in an EP3 R

i should use????

shadou
11-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda genuine Manual Transmission Fluid

JohnL
11-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Honda genuine Manual Transmission Fluid

You can't go wrong with that. My understanding is that Honda 'retro-recommends' their MTF for all their earlier boxes that originally specified engine oil.

I've been using one of the Motul synthetic gear oils for the last three years, and it's been very good. I immediately noticed smoother and 'slicker' shifts with the Motul oil (not that the shift was in any way bad before the oil change), but can't say whether it's any better in this respect than Honda's MTF, the oil I changed is very likely to have been engine oil.

Motul has at least two gearbox oils, I think only one is recommended for boxes with synchromesh. More $ than the MTF. I've heard nothing but good things about Redline oils (any of their oils), but christ you pay for it ($$$).

Limo
12-03-2008, 12:11 AM
You can't go wrong with that. My understanding is that Honda 'retro-recommends' their MTF for all their earlier boxes that originally specified engine oil.

I've been using one of the Motul synthetic gear oils for the last three years, and it's been very good. I immediately noticed smoother and 'slicker' shifts with the Motul oil (not that the shift was in any way bad before the oil change), but can't say whether it's any better in this respect than Honda's MTF, the oil I changed is very likely to have been engine oil.

Motul has at least two gearbox oils, I think only one is recommended for boxes with synchromesh. More $ than the MTF. I've heard nothing but good things about Redline oils (any of their oils), but christ you pay for it ($$$).

yeh Redline gearboxoil all the way, ive also used honda oil, but found it didnt last aslong b4 the syncro probs came back, but yeh as said.. they are alot more expensive.

baby_phantom
20-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I dont know if this is the right place to post but i got a ep3 today and it has 58k on the clock clutch grabs early etc but shifting from 1st to 2nd jams alot i know u how to drive ive had a dc5r before so that aint the problem, could it be oil or syncros

bennjamin
20-06-2012, 07:27 PM
try changing the gearbox oil and clutch fluid - and see if that helps. The 2nd gear is known to be alittle notchy on K series ( EP3 , DC5 etc)

ejsalcepuedes
21-08-2012, 12:15 AM
what's the best yet not expensive MTF that I could get locally, and how much am I gonna need (EG D15)

bennjamin
21-08-2012, 07:45 AM
what's the best yet not expensive MTF that I could get locally, and how much am I gonna need (EG D15)

Get Honda MTF 06 , from your local Honda dealer or Trivett spares equivalent in Melbourne.

You will need approx. 2.5litres - 3 bottles of 1 l MTF06 will do it.
You change it every 40,000kms , not that expensive for piece of mind IMO

ejsalcepuedes
21-08-2012, 10:17 AM
I actually thought of getting one of those Castrol's 4ltr from Supercheap. how much would those mtf 06's will cost?

mocchi
21-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Get Honda MTF 06 , from your local Honda dealer or Trivett spares equivalent in Melbourne.

You will need approx. 2.5litres - 3 bottles of 1 l MTF06 will do it.
You change it every 40,000kms , not that expensive for piece of mind IMO

does it take that much on ep3?
funny how dc5 only takes 1.8L when its the same gearbox

bennjamin
21-08-2012, 10:55 AM
does it take that much on ep3?
funny how dc5 only takes 1.8L when its the same gearbox

Teh ep3 is exactly the same as the dc5. as long as u fill it , WITH the upper breather cap off - and the car is level you can't go wrong.
You just fill it thru the speed sensor until fluid leaks out of the fill hole on the side of the diff housing.

Btw a s2k is only 1.4l !