PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust systems DC2

vkhaw
11-03-2008, 09:17 AM
hey guys,
wanting to ask ur opinions on exhaust system. driving a DC2 and have a stock exhaust..

1.) wanting to increase noise factor - not to loud!
2.) better air flow / performance

my knowledge is not that great on exhaust / cat back systems but i know buddy clubs, apexi, etc are all brands that are quite $$. can i just go to any exhaust place in melb and ask for their opinions of custom made?

what is the best buy for my needs?
is it just worth spending $$ on a good muffler? or buying the whole system?

looking forward to hear a great discussion abt brands, noise and performance on exhaust and mufflers.

thanks

ricki_kalsi
11-03-2008, 09:46 AM
This is for a DC2R right?

people will tell you Spoon, Mugen, Buddyclub etc are the best ever.. better than a custom exhaust.

Do REAL race cars use off the shelf bolt on parts - answer is no.

What you have to be careful about if the headers. 5zigen make a good, affordable header - you might be inclined to check them out.

As for Cat back - B-pipe section (from Cat to muffler) - a b-pipe is a b-pipe, as long as it's Mandrel bent. So 'custom' b-pipe are perfectly fine.
Alternatively, buy a Vision B-pipe for ~$350. They are pretty much, or if not exactly identical to Spoon B-pipes.

I assume you want the axel back (muffler) to look good, as you are one of those "I want to increase noise factor" people. I would look at getting a Spoon Muffler or something along those lines.

Different exhausts sound different... Just look up on Youtube, and listen to type of exhausts.

macoman69
11-03-2008, 10:14 AM
^^^^
I agree with this for one point though. Race teams have dedicated R&D which they spend amazing amounts of money on.
Unfortunately MOST exhaust shops dont have this facility to research what works and what doesnt this includes size/flow/resonators etc.

If you know exactly what you want then tell the exhaust shop...but not all exhaust shops know what is right for YOUR car. So dont take their word for it because they are not going to slander their own products "Of COURSE my exhausts work!".

Depending on what you want you can go 2 & 1/4 or 2 & 1/2 or inbetween the two.

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=451
I found the articles and information in here very helpful.

Shows alot exhausts and explanations about custom vs shelf items.

ricki_kalsi
11-03-2008, 01:40 PM
For DC2, I would use 60mm - Closer to 2 & 1/4 inch, as majority of the Jap exhaust run this width.

vkhaw
12-03-2008, 01:17 PM
hey that site really is quite cool.
just wandering for Value of $$
which brands would u prefer? i have heard:
Skunk
Magnaflow
Apexi
Twinloop

what are the major differences - performance n sound?

vkhaw
12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
anyone selling exhausts?

philBo
12-03-2008, 07:19 PM
This is for a DC2R right?

people will tell you Spoon, Mugen, Buddyclub etc are the best ever.. better than a custom exhaust.

Do REAL race cars use off the shelf bolt on parts - answer is no.

What you have to be careful about if the headers. 5zigen make a good, affordable header - you might be inclined to check them out.

As for Cat back - B-pipe section (from Cat to muffler) - a b-pipe is a b-pipe, as long as it's Mandrel bent. So 'custom' b-pipe are perfectly fine.
Alternatively, buy a Vision B-pipe for ~$350. They are pretty much, or if not exactly identical to Spoon B-pipes.

I assume you want the axel back (muffler) to look good, as you are one of those "I want to increase noise factor" people. I would look at getting a Spoon Muffler or something along those lines.

Different exhausts sound different... Just look up on Youtube, and listen to type of exhausts.

where abouts have you seen the vision bpipes go for ~350?

Sp00ny
12-03-2008, 08:36 PM
I'd recommend a Twin Loop if you dont want it too loud, with custom catback. I have a X-Force TwinLoop axle back and isnt over loud. Its definantly noticeable from outside, but inside the cabin there isnt much differance. Im presuming installing a custom catback would change this alot.

Twin Loops have a nice deep tone at low RPM, they don't sound farty or metallic. They also look stealth/not over the top. Depends on your tastes, as mentioned before you can check out alot on YouTube. Most CANNONs or exhausts like the spoon N1 or buddyclub are very loud, sound fantastic (at WOT above 5500rpm) but sound pretty horrible at low rpm(below 4500)...which is where you are the majority of the time.

Regards,
Andrew

vkhaw
13-03-2008, 08:25 AM
yeah good post spoony.. def true that i do drive main below 4500 haha
so just want something simple n stylish without goin to overboard.

how much did u set up ur system??

iv got a few ranges i can go with:
- can get a spoon n1 tail for me for $600
- anyone heard of the hks power getters ? anygood??
- or i can just go to like all the muffler places arnd melbourne and get custom made for $600-800..
- a dc2r stock system but dont know if there is any increase as much as a new system

vkhaw
13-03-2008, 08:29 AM
where r good custom exhausts places to be at in melb??
anyone go to mr mufflers?

philBo
13-03-2008, 11:53 AM
yeah good post spoony.. def true that i do drive main below 4500 haha
so just want something simple n stylish without goin to overboard.

how much did u set up ur system??

iv got a few ranges i can go with:
- can get a spoon n1 tail for me for $600
- anyone heard of the hks power getters ? anygood??
- or i can just go to like all the muffler places arnd melbourne and get custom made for $600-800..
- a dc2r stock system but dont know if there is any increase as much as a new system

if u want to keep it relatively quiet, why dont you get a dc2r muffler and custom piping? thatd be a nice n affordable setup. spend more on the extractors, as thatd be where most of your power will be netted

L a z y b O Y
13-03-2008, 02:14 PM
if you like it loud, then the spoon n1 is a good choice buddy. but in my opinion its too loud as i have one myself with a full exhaust system ie headers custom b-pipe to a spoon n1 axleback. im looking into getting a mugen twinloop or just a standard dc2r muffler.

vkhaw
14-03-2008, 10:37 AM
theres a guy selling his dc2r system for $400-500 if u ppl r interested.
PM n i can connect u to him.

but reason im not getting dc2r is probz coz i want a bigger outlet. n a newer sytem..

ricki_kalsi
14-03-2008, 10:46 AM
If your on an extreme budget... why not get the Exforce Mugen Copy??

Spoon exhausts are LOUD... but for under $100, you can get a silencer which brings it down in noise alot.

L a z y b O Y
14-03-2008, 11:54 PM
If your on an extreme budget... why not get the Exforce Mugen Copy??

Spoon exhausts are LOUD... but for under $100, you can get a silencer which brings it down in noise alot.

serious? hrmm what i have been told that it doesnt really help bringing down the noise.. i cant stand mine one anymore
might look into buying a silencer for the n1 then =]

vkhaw
17-03-2008, 08:38 AM
i think over the easter ill go along bell street n research more. they have some muffler shops arnd and will see what they recommend with size, the type of piping n their fits.

any other places u guys recommend?

ricki_kalsi
17-03-2008, 10:09 AM
serious? hrmm what i have been told that it doesnt really help bringing down the noise.. i cant stand mine one anymore
might look into buying a silencer for the n1 then =]

Get the silencer - you loose alot of tourqe through the range, but it does really reduce the noise levels ALOT!

I think they are $95 from JDMconcept.

IZY-10
17-03-2008, 02:16 PM
usually
cheap exhausts = cheap peformance

DC4Integra98
17-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Sorry to intrude into this thread but in reference to exhausts, will changing the muffler itself only to say a straight through system give me any noticeable gain (or any gain at all) in comparison to stock?

I ask because during the stages when I was looking to get an exhaust done, many workshops scoffed at the fact that I wanted to increase my stock 2" exhaust system by 1/4 to a 2 1/4". They suggested me change the muffler instead and that by doing so I will see a significant gain in the lower end.

I nearly let go of $350 on a cannon muffler or did I?
I currently only have a short ram intake installed.

tRipitaka
17-03-2008, 05:15 PM
the only significant gain that changing a muffler would do is make it sound louder.

increasing your exhaust system from 2" to 2 1/4" will increase your power across the rev range.

vkhaw
18-03-2008, 11:24 AM
=) ur not intruding but good post DC4Integra98. probably in the same boat as you as im not to sure whether its worth spending that much for little gainage.

just may as well get a new car.

im thinking of increasing it to 2.5" hopefully will get much better air flow n breath better.

ricki_kalsi
18-03-2008, 05:34 PM
=) ur not intruding but good post DC4Integra98. probably in the same boat as you as im not to sure whether its worth spending that much for little gainage.

just may as well get a new car.
im thinking of increasing it to 2.5" hopefully will get much better air flow n breath better.

Well you do own a 1.8L NA car. It's not like your going to get much power out of it.

IMHO... either go balls out, and mod hard, or just don't mod at all - unless your after the bling factor (noise and big canon).

hui
21-03-2008, 11:22 AM
IMHO... either go balls out, and mod hard, or just don't mod at all - unless your after the bling factor (noise and big canon).

well modifying is kinda personal, just like taste. some do it for bling factor, some do it to follow the trend, others buy branded shit just so they can make a statement bout themself.

vkhaw
21-03-2008, 12:04 PM
K I GOT A QUESTION.

IS IT WORTH getting a type r system on a normal dc2 ??
would there be much difference in GAIN / PERFORMANCE n sound better then a custom exhaust or other systems out there ??

please let me know ur thoughts on stock dc2r systems on a dc2

EKVTIR-T
21-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Maybe if it's mega cheap.At least you know it has headroom for 141kw at the fly so should be fine for vtir's.
Also it's not so look at me which is a good thing.

-vtec screamer-
21-03-2008, 12:46 PM
hey guys,
wanting to ask ur opinions on exhaust system. driving a DC2 and have a stock exhaust..

1.) wanting to increase noise factor - not to loud!
2.) better air flow / performance

my knowledge is not that great on exhaust / cat back systems but i know buddy clubs, apexi, etc are all brands that are quite $$. can i just go to any exhaust place in melb and ask for their opinions of custom made?

what is the best buy for my needs?
is it just worth spending $$ on a good muffler? or buying the whole system?

looking forward to hear a great discussion abt brands, noise and performance on exhaust and mufflers.

thanks

if u want to increase noise factor but isn't too loud, i recommend u get an XForce Cannon Muffler.
u don't really need a full exhaust system because u could gain or lose power from that. so keeping the stock exhaust is good. u just gotta put a muffler on it. lol

the XForce Cannon Muffler does the job when u wana hear the VTEC Scream!
the performance is good once ur in VTEC mode.

to make the VTEC scream any louder, install a full Cold Air Intake. it'll work well with the muffler mentioned above.

Sp00ny
21-03-2008, 02:12 PM
The DC2R system (full with headers) will offer minor performance gains expessially without a tune. Don't forget to consider all the modifications and engineering that go into the type R to get 18kw more. the exhaust will play a minor part.

Alot of people think exhaust give alot of power, in VTEC systems they have great potential but you have to modify the Intake(manifold, cams, air intake etc) and Exhaust to get full benifit....if not much more is going in then how is much more going to flow out? Thats a very simplified way of looking at it.

Also getting an exhaust system too large like 2.5"+ unless you have some serious intake and cam modifications you'll probebly loose power due to poor back pressure and decreased use of wave scavenging.

Also remember NA applications are sensitive to engineering quality. To get real power out of NA apps, quality is a key.

In my opinion, just get something that sounds nice and doesnt blow the budget.

Regards,
Andrew

vkhaw
03-04-2008, 07:19 AM
WILL DC2R FUJITSUBO's fit DC2/4's?? or does pipe works need to be done????

ricki_kalsi
03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
OMG... did I hear Back pressure?!??!?!

IMO it's not too hard man. Just go out, buy yourself some 5zigen headers, vision B-pipe, and a muffler (any muffler). Dyno your car before and after, and let us know how much you gain you get. You WILL get gains.

People that say it's hard to get gains from a Type R (B18C7) are totally wrong. It's not hard at all. Felix got 18 kW ATW gain from his Buddy club spec 3 cat back, and BC headers. - God knows how much gains I got from my Toda headers, and Spoon cat back. Quite a bit, as it's now spinning wheels in VTAK attack mode in 2nd gear. If I was to upgrade the cat to a better one, I would easily get another 7-9kW at the wheels with a retune.

Let us know what you do man...

altin
06-04-2008, 05:38 PM
I'd go for a complete exhaust system from hytech (USA) I've been researching a bit and I'm just waiting for the right time (saving up the money) to buy it. Its got renault catback and twin loop exhaust. So its powerful and not too loud at the same time. Its good for 4-2-1 but haven't heard much about their 4-1 but if you search Honda-Tech they'd tested it all and this was one of the top ones. Its not cheap around 1.8K delivered but well worth it.

vincikwan
23-04-2008, 01:15 PM
So will a spoon 4-2-1 header fit into a AUDM cat n cat-back? Will it be possible to just take out my stock header and put in the spoon header? Or do i have to get heaps of other stuff to make the spoon header fit?

blommer
11-05-2008, 02:53 AM
anyone selling exhausts?

i would seriously recommend 5zigen exhausts for honda.. particularly the pro-racer A spec for the DC2R. i've it on my teg R and it's quiet along with a low grunting note on normal driving, but when vtec kicks in, it grunts better than a V8 commodore. the beauty about this exhaust system is that it has inconel in it and it is known for its high-heat resistance.

comparing to top brands like fujisutbo and kakimoto, 5zigen gives the bang for bucks and the same quality as well.

if u do have any interests in getting 1, do let me know..

VTECMACHINE
12-05-2008, 10:51 AM
So will a spoon 4-2-1 header fit into a AUDM cat n cat-back? Will it be possible to just take out my stock header and put in the spoon header? Or do i have to get heaps of other stuff to make the spoon header fit?

Don't bother with Spoon headers... they are stock design, only a tad fatter. Everything Spoon is based on OEM products and designs. EG: Spoon cam shafts are made from OEM blanks.

if you want good headers, go for Toda... if you want a good bang for buck header, go 5zigen. Majority of JDM exhaust systems require a shorter cat, ie: JDM ITR cat - in order for it to fit properly. Alternatively, you can modify and make your B-pipe shorter.

F.O.B Squad
09-06-2008, 01:03 AM
I was looking to purchase a 5zigen pro-racer or buddy club sec III or IV still undecided out of the 3.
Which of the 3 is recommended for a dc2, as in performance, sound and money? not to go in too deep with details, just a general idea or opinion.
Sorry didnt really want to go off topic.

94dc2tegz
09-06-2008, 10:36 PM
if u want to increase noise factor but isn't too loud, i recommend u get an XForce Cannon Muffler.
u don't really need a full exhaust system because u could gain or lose power from that. so keeping the stock exhaust is good. u just gotta put a muffler on it. lol

the XForce Cannon Muffler does the job when u wana hear the VTEC Scream!
the performance is good once ur in VTEC mode.

to make the VTEC scream any louder, install a full Cold Air Intake. it'll work well with the muffler mentioned above.

i'm pretty sure the 'scream' ur talking about comes from the engine so as long as u get rid of the resonator box u'll hear the scream. ideally a SRI or even better the CAI would produce a better result.

exhaust expels gases mainly and not engine noise

theuan101
17-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Just got my exhaust upgraded my Pipewerx on Kessels Road. I got a 2.5" mandrel bend Cat-back with a standard 2.5" muffler, a 18" resonator and a 3" dump tip (I am not a fan of cannons at all, hence the standard muffler). My plan next is to get some headers, not sure if I am going to get 5Zigen, or the Tri-Y headers and a 2.5" hi flow cat. Will get a after market ecu, or just SAFC for a tune.

The exhaust is not that load, but is REALLY deep!! I like that the best. The car has that same amount of low end power and a bit more at the top.

The exhaust doesn't buzz, but just before VTEC kicks in it buzzes for a half a second. Would the header and cat fix the buzzing noise, or will I have to live with it????

cheers

soru
17-06-2008, 07:04 PM
would a cannon with a bigger body be more quiet than a cannon with a smaller body (inlet and lengths kept the same)?? Whats the biggest resonator you fit on a Integra? Does a oval muffler fit on the middle section of the exhaust? cheers

mr dc2 vtecdu
16-07-2008, 09:00 PM
mugen:)

,ive gotz a mugen twin loop ,its perfect has a nice soft deep sound low rpm range etc,it aint too loud so ye mugen does tha job fo me .