PDA

View Full Version : Civic VTiR Reliability?

bluebird
31-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking for a reliable daily driver thats "fun" to drive, and with enough poke to keep me entertained, and the above mentioned car seems to fit the criteria.

Coming from a AWD Nissan (with a 13.7 quarter mile time -which i've just sold), a focus point of whatever new car I end up purchasing has to be reliability, and good build quality. So yeah - thats what has made me consider a Honda... :)

I've got a budget of $20k, and am currently looking at hatches, in a 96 - 98 range. (newer the better). I want a dead stock example for begin with.

But what I'm making this thread for, is to know how reliable the cars are, how well they can be thrashed (at wakefield for example - I enjoy track work), and how well they hold up to hard driving. I'm not expecting them to never break anything, more just wanting to know how often I should allow for things to break, and how expensive they are...

Any additional information would be excellent :) Any thing in particular to look for when purchasing them?

Regards,
Michael :)

2MPRSS
31-08-2004, 06:06 PM
me and my brother having 3 yrs experience with honda ican easyly say honda is pure quality and you can also say it is a little expensive when it comes to parts but it is worth it.

Weq
31-08-2004, 06:17 PM
out of the box, speed wise and corning wise, i dont think mujch other then a tyep-r (integra) will match the nissian, u will feel alot more top end power. that 13.7 u ran had alot to do with the AWD launch.

that said, if u are after a civic ur only option is an EK4 VTi-R. U can find plenty of them around, they are all as reliable as any other honda. however it may not be the most sensible option. if u buy something already modified u will spend alot less money. Something like a swapped hatch of that era with a b18c or h22a will help in the power department, and a full ahndling upgrade (coilovers, swaybars and struts) will help in the handling department. its a hard choice, just remmber, all these performance honda's were designed to be 'thrashed' so they will stand up to alot of ur punishment.. unlike the nissians (most of which are family cars) and have inhert problems that can be related back to thier commadore like nature back in the homeland.

2ds
31-08-2004, 06:35 PM
sounds like you may be better off buying a vtir integra, if you ar from melbourne, come to one of the meets and you can take mycar for a drive if you want to see what the b16a is like.

-2ds

Setanta
31-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Personally, I'd go the EM1 VTiR Coupe over the Hatch, I just like it's look a bit more.

If you want a good handling car, a DC2 Type-R 'teg is the best option (but out of your budget). Next on my list I'd go a VTiR 'teg and then the B16A powered Civics up last. I don't know what it is, but a B18C always seems to be the better motor than the B16A.

Reliability? Honda is it. My '90 B16A is running strong after 14 years and 276K kms. The EK and EM Civic's B16As are derivatives of this motor and should be as tough. Sevice it regularly and it'll look after you.

joneblaze
31-08-2004, 08:07 PM
LOL@Tommo...
First you bag us then you come for advice.

The EK4 is great. There're plenty such drivers on this forum that can give a quick review.
If you can push the budget a few grand further, you can always hunt for a DC2 ITR. Stock form will handle and go alot better than the Civic.

Psst... don't ask anyone here about leaving their windows cracked open so they can "listen to the road".... ;)

fried
31-08-2004, 08:30 PM
the honda vtec engine sucks.

when u wind ur window down, all you hear is vtec, and u cant listen to the rhythm of ur tyres.

stick to nissan.

luzinit
31-08-2004, 08:36 PM
AHHAHAHAHA .... ROFL.
n yeh, civic vtir is very reliable, decent handling outta the box too.

gelo
31-08-2004, 09:05 PM
just service your car regularly and dont do anythign stupid to it
honda parts and expensive tho i reckon

VTEC16
01-09-2004, 01:37 AM
Iv had no problems at all (other than a few rattles in the back). Its a '98 and only done under 70Ks.... full service history etc etc. Its a really fun car....not extremely quick....but its always fun to rev it out. Havent tracked it - so i cant really comment on the reliability in that sense. Definetly take one for a spin - its a great little car.

DC VTi-Rs seem to be a tad faster....but not by much at all....

Chi
01-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Hondas are crap, as fried said, go to nissan.

That VTEC sound is very annoying, cant hear the music playing when it comes on.

But if you do get a civic go for the hatch, coupes are a bit heavier i think.

SPEEDCORE
01-09-2004, 09:28 AM
Coupe for looks, hatch if you want to track it... not so much a weight thing... just better handling.

As for reliability..... look after it and it will look after you.

They are virtually bullet proof if you do, well almost...... you wont see the Pope rolling in one but you know what I mean!! ;)

Astro
01-09-2004, 10:34 AM
civics are nice car overall bluebird.

i have seen a vtir hatch beat a black supra NA with zorst.... (and the civic was stock as a rock) :):)

VTi-RT
01-09-2004, 10:07 PM
The scream of vtec from a B16a is better then a B18c :p

RAYTDR
01-09-2004, 11:13 PM
The scream of vtec from a B16a is better then a B18c :p
Yeah that :D

Also check this link im guessing ur from sydney (wakefield) should just b in ur budget. :thumbsup:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=188675&page=1

bluebird
02-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Hey all,

Firstly - thanks for the advice and general comments. Exactly the kinda information I was looking for. :) I would love a DC2R (as they are a VTiR but better), but the cars just above my specified budget all seem to be a little bit dodgy....

Are there any particular issues with an EK4 I should look out for when purchasing (apart from the obvious signs of thrashing/track work) ?

Is there a performance / handling difference between the VTiR Integra and the VTiR Civic? I must admit I do slightly prefer the shape and size of the Integra. :) I read somewhere they are the same power, but the Integra is just 5kg's heavier?

Setanta: Whats the difference between the EK4 and the EM1? Is it simply the hatch vs the couple?

joneblaze: lol at bagging comment. To be honest, I must admit I did not like Hondas at all, but it's only recently after researching them a bit i've realised how awesome of a package they are (performance/handling/reliability/resale etc), compared to a lot of the imported Nissans and other cars in my budget on the market.

Astro: haha, I saw that civic smash the supra as well - awesome stuff :)

luzinit
02-09-2004, 12:48 AM
bluebiard, particular issues... if u get one with full service history, and relatively low km's, theres not much to worry abt, probably if its near the 100 000 mark if the timing belts replaced etc, to be honest, i cant think of a problem that is EK4 specific, - just coz there isnt any... but i hope some other members can provide more information on this regard

handling wise, the civic vtir stock is alot better than a teg vtir from what i've gathered after owning one, u can pretty much track it straight out of the package if ya wanted too! just get some decent tyres and she'll be right..

EK4 = hatch vtir, 96-98 model, EM1 = coupe vtir, replaced the hatch in 99 and went thru to 00.

yes, i didnt really like hondas until it was time to find a car in the same criteria as you! they are great for their money and as a daily driver, i've had mine for 1 year and only upgraded the suspension and the car is very fun ! gl in finding one

2ds
02-09-2004, 12:53 AM
The integra is faster.

-2ds

joneblaze
02-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Tommo the EK VTiR Civic comes with approx 118kw, B16A engine. The DC2 VTiR Integra comes with approx 125 (?)kw, B18C engine. Stock for stock the DC2 would beat the EK comfortably IMO, but modded the b16a can be a handful. Same goes for the b18c of course.

A modded EK4 can be pretty deadly in the right hands. :)

Da1nONLY
02-09-2004, 08:57 PM
scream on the b18c7 sounds much meaner! =P

SiR
02-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Stock for stock the DC2 would beat the EK comfortably IMO

Hmmmm...not so sure about that. More of a driver's race imo.

joneblaze
02-09-2004, 11:31 PM
When I say comfortably I mean 1/2-1 car length over a 1/4. I'd back the DC2 anyday. :)
DIdn't mean the Integra would destroy the Civic.

[twins]vtec
03-09-2004, 03:47 AM
main differences

dc2 VTi-R 125kw@7300rpm
173nm@6200rpm
2570mm wheelbase (Same as EG6)
10.0 comp ratio
4.4 final ratio
1176kg

Ek4 118kw@7600rpm?
148nm@?
2620mm wheelbase