PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic: CAI/Extractors or Air Filter?

SaBReT00tH
12-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I have a Honda Civic 2007 VTi 1.8 litre, and am just wondering what is the best mod for performance. I heard extractors would be the best but they're about $1000. My friend says Honda Civics come standard with an intake which takes in cold air so I'm guessing the Injen ones take in extra air?

So instead of extractors, I was thinking of otherwise putting a Cold Air Intake in and maybe a K&N air filter. Does anyone know if the Injen CAIs come with free flowing air filters or would adding a K&N air filter along with an Injen CAI be worth it?

Also, I looked a putting a pod filter on but apparently the 07 Civics were made so you can't remove the built in pipe piece to fit the pod and also my friend said there was a problem with the built in sensor. Is this true or is there a way around it?

Limbo
12-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Haven't seen the 07 personally but if you can't put the pod in try a K&N replacement filter.

Only doing the intake is not gonna help you that much. It breathes in better but its gotta breathe out better also. To get the best out of the CAI or inproved intake you should do your exhaust mods also.

destrukshn
12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
the 1.8's you can't change the extractors, they are a one piece with the head, look at it carefully.

iced
12-03-2008, 02:00 PM
i think that means you have to swap with k20a lol

dannybubu
12-03-2008, 02:25 PM
i got a K&N pod filter in my 06 vti...if you're looking for max power gains...then go the CAI as pod is mainly for sound and very little power gain..

locote
12-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Not been rude but if you wanted a performance version of a civic why did u get the vti???
The K20 sport will have more power stock than a vti with intake mods

kayot1k
12-03-2008, 07:45 PM
beggars cant be choosers ?
another newbie question, what to do for first mods ? bang for buck mods ? i have X amount of dollars what can i do ? why didnt i just get a sports car and not a family car sedan ?

Limbo
13-03-2008, 03:08 PM
there is always some improvements to be done, just depends on what you wanna spend

SaBReT00tH
15-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I didnt get the sport model cause it was heaps more than the vti. Ok if I wanna get a CAI will it work on an auto?

rayb3na_
15-03-2008, 03:37 PM
yes jsut cos ur cars auto doesnt have anything to do with whether the CAI will work.

TheSaint
15-03-2008, 03:55 PM
the best starting point for some light modifications is

1. CAI - get a Injen full CAI system or if u can get a Fujita they are almost the same, CAI will let ur car have cleaner smoother air intake, u wont get any power gains without doing the exhaust as well but u may get a small % of fuel economy and it will give the car a nice smooth sound =)

2. front and rear strut braces will give u a little more stability, u can goto rear sway bar re-enforcement (like an ASR brace or tie) to advance this a little but it will start costing a bit more

3. good suspension like some tein super streets or even some good springs etc will be good for the car, (not necessarily lower sussy just good quality) good sussy will put less stress and wear on the car and be safer and give u less tyre wear as well

4. some nice light weight wheels, rays wheels are the ideal but they will be expensive, make sure that whatever u get is only 1-2 sizes bigger than urs stock and remember the bigger u go the less performance u will get, i think race-nation sell some nice rays and jdm style light weight replicas that arnt too expensive =)

5. dont get a axle back exhaust - it will give nothing but noise and no gains at all and cost $$ =(

6. and oil pressure/temp guage will give u a good indication about when u can boot ur car a bit more and when vtec is ready to do its thing

i dont really know ur model of car so i cant help much more but im sure others will be able to expand on my post and correct me where i am wrong =)

good luck

SaBReT00tH
16-03-2008, 08:15 AM
hey saint,, thanks for that. I have an exhaust and resonator on at the moment as well as kings springs (lowered half inch). Model of my car if Honda Civic 2007 VTi 1.8 JDM FD.

Does anyone know if those CAIs can be installed onto an automatic?

Some peoples say yes some say no. I'm so confused!!!

TheSaint
16-03-2008, 11:17 PM
gear box should make NO difference at all.... i dont know wer the hell they got that from =/

a cold air intake is from the intake manifold to just under the inside of the front quarter panel where it usually ends in a pod to take colder air from outside of the engine bay, shouldnt go anywhere near the gearbox

SaBReT00tH
19-03-2008, 08:18 AM
cool. Anyone know the best priced site to get an Injen CAI from?

vinnY
19-03-2008, 10:41 AM
before you go and waste your money what do you expect out of a cai?
because there won't be much of a performance boost for your money spent
better off spending on something you can feel i.e. suspension mods, better tyres

TheSaint
19-03-2008, 05:10 PM
what he said ^ refer to my list

it may give ur car a throatier sound and 0.5% better fuel economy but u would probably want to get a Apexi Neo or Apexi PowerFC and a tune to get any performance out of it, in which case u prob wont to not waste ur money and get a different car

1 thing i learnt with my car is when to stop... if im only using the car to get to work.. whats the point

good suspension, good tyres/wheels, good bracing and a CAI i think are the only things a daily needs