PDA

View Full Version : squeek noise that increases with speed

55EXX
12-03-2008, 09:17 PM
i have a very annoying squeek noise that increases with speed not revs or braking. i have checked my brake pads and there is plenty of meat left on them. the sound seems to be coming from the front. after plent of searching could it be this (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79637&highlight=squeek%2A)? how can i tell? who has had this before?

my dad seems to think the brake rotors would be warped. what is a definate test for both.

my car is a eg si hatch

Limbo
12-03-2008, 10:06 PM
sounds like it might be your bearings.

But if you think its the rotors take them out and put them on a flat surface and see if they are flat

EG5[KRT]
12-03-2008, 11:09 PM
if your rotors are warped then you would have brake shudder

its probably just either tyre noise or bearing.. if you do swerving motions you can hear it get louder if its bearings.

55EXX
13-03-2008, 07:44 AM
no brake shudder so not rotors. plenty of meat left on pads so not brake pads. i'll give the sewerving a go. what other signs would indicate bearings? any other possiblilties?

krissy~eg5
13-03-2008, 08:15 AM
I had the same thing with my eg hatch.

It could possibly be bearings as stated.

Mine was tyres. I had Falken 205/40/17.

55EXX
13-03-2008, 08:27 AM
tyres? how does that happen?

krissy~eg5
13-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Not to sure.

Something to do with the profile and tread pattern.

They had this REALLY annoying " hum " about them.

At 70kph it was absolutely unbearable.

Sounded exactely like a bearing going bad.

Changed as soon as we downsized rim and changed tyres.

Try lending a set of rims with different tyres, or changing to a set of stockos for a while

55EXX
13-03-2008, 08:54 AM
na i've had these wheels and tryes for 1000's of ks. bout 15 000+ they are 215/45/15 toyo's that aren't noisy. the noise is like a sqeeky rusty noise not a hum. the sound doesn't happen straight away after about 1km of driving the noise starts

94vtirozguy
13-03-2008, 11:32 AM
wheel bearings

krissy~eg5
13-03-2008, 12:03 PM
Agree - Wheel Bearings.

Pity they arent the usual type.
I think you have to take them somewhere that can press them out to check them? Correct me if im wrong.

Limbo
13-03-2008, 12:37 PM
they will just get worse with time and then, yes you have to get them pressed out.

The bearing is about $50 and they charged me $30 to press and out it back in. I just brought the wheel hub to the autoshop (Mekong spares)

Usually you do both fronts at the same time its just easier and saves you having to put it on stands again.

Might be worth getting the rotors machined if they are rough also

55EXX
13-03-2008, 10:05 PM
really. i drove all the way home tonight without them making a noise. its like as if tho the air temp makes a difference. when the air is hot it makes that part warmer, or something, so it makes that noise. when the temp is cold it doesn't make it at all, like tonight. does that sound typical of a bearing? the noise goes squeek squeek squeek.... and as speed increases the frequency of the squeeks get faster with speed not revs, yes indicating some thing either drive train brakes etc after gearbox. the longer i drive the more the squeek part of the noise gets longer so there is less silence between squeeks to the point where the noise just becomes one long squeek that has no break. the sound seems to becoming from both sides or the centre of the front of the car.

just want to confirm its definately bearings before i source parts and book a mechanic.

just tight with money atm. if the mech put new bearings in and says discs are the prob i will be getting new rotors immediately and will be replacing them with standard dba items. otherwise i will be getting slotted ones and bendix pads in about 2 months as i had planned. just don't wanna do the bearings to find its not them.

shadou
13-03-2008, 10:45 PM
jack the wheels (front) off the ground and rotate the suspected side to hear for any bearing noise, if it is a wheel bearing you will hear a consistent noise as you rotate the wheel, plus if the wheel bearing has gone it would be sounding regardless in motion.

xntrik
13-03-2008, 11:50 PM
i have a very annoying squeek noise that increases with speed not revs or braking. i have checked my brake pads and there is plenty of meat left on them. the sound seems to be coming from the front. after plent of searching could it be this (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79637&highlight=squeek%2A)? how can i tell? who has had this before?

my dad seems to think the brake rotors would be warped. what is a definate test for both.

my car is a eg si hatch

try braking in a straight line, and see if your steering rattles or vibrates hard.
i think thats how you check if your rotors are warped and need machining.

55EXX
14-03-2008, 06:50 AM
wheel doesn't make noise when i jack it up and spin the wheel. braking is normal. no shudder or vibrations. this is why its got me stumped. its weird how it only sometimes make the noise like when the temperature is hot. i been thinking bout it but it might be from the bearing grease getting hot then not working effectively but this is a guess. can anyone confirm this not add another guess?

Limbo
14-03-2008, 05:23 PM
the reason why you don't hear anything is that the bearing is not that bad yet. Its prob the weight of the car on top putting stress on the bearings.

If its nothing else you can drive around with it until it gets worse, they you will really know its the bearings

55EXX
15-03-2008, 06:03 PM
now what i've come up with so far.

not warped disc as there is not braking shudder or vibrations

its not the wheel bearing as the noise would be there all the time not during just warm weather etc. night driving has little control over the bearing temp as the moving parts cause there own friction and temp rise to the same working temp no matter the air temp. braking is the biggest cuase to increase heat. ever felt you hot your wheels get after driving that is from your brakes. which for me is the same during night and day driving. bearings make a dull thud or knock. this is like a rusty dry squeek.

not brake pads they have plenty of meat.

the other night i tried to eliminate other reasons

i called honda to source the bearings and he told me that it sounds like the plates that go in behind the pad is virbrating to try glueing them first. so i took the pads off and used the rubber glue used to dampen vibrations.

the pads are not glazed over i sanded the pads making the surface all fresh and re bedded them in.

i have inspected the area for rocks and could not see any. i have also moved the rock guard clear of rubbing against the disc.

i took it off the stands and drove for over 2 hours not a sound then on the home stretch, like not even 5ks from my house the noise was back! very feint but there! i was pissed as i thought i had cured it! then i drove it to and from work today and it didn't make a noise!!!!!!

now anyone else got a idea?

94vtirozguy
17-03-2008, 08:10 AM
again when your wheel bearing startes to go it is intermittent.

find a nice long twisty road and then see if you hear it.. when a wheel bearing is starting to go, you usually wont here it on a straight road, you hear it when there is force applied.

55EXX
17-03-2008, 08:31 PM
well for the past few days it hasn't made the noise. after driving it for bout 2.5 hours while running erands for a mate it started then i stopped mid squeek reversed and it made a click and then i drove again for a few more hours and still hasn't made the noise since then? makes me think something it loose or something and going into reverse pops it in.