PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Avanguarde kit

jpwwong
16-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Hi Guys

New to the modding scene. I have been seeing alot of mugen replica kit pictures on this forum. I have seen the mugen avanguarde version of the kit somewhere before, (don't know whether it is in this forum or some international forum). For those who don't know how it looks like, it looks like a normal mugen kit, but on the front lip there is a slit on the bottom corner for both sides. Was just wondering whether it is possible to get it here in Australia (Melbourne), and have you guys ever seen a FD2 anywhere in Aust that has it installed?

Cheers

dyljoy
16-03-2008, 08:55 PM
i think u talking about the rear one, coz i know some of replica one didn't come with that. I got the real one before, so i know the real one should be get that slit thing.

dyljoy
16-03-2008, 08:58 PM
here is one sample which taken from my past FD1 with mugen kit
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/161/348660813_3bc094bc8f_o.jpg

JaCe
16-03-2008, 09:33 PM
lol yat lok bat.

dmx
17-03-2008, 04:13 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75938

n6290884
17-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey guys, im in brisbane, do u guys know where i can get a good mugen kit for not too dear a price? thanks ^^

dyljoy
17-03-2008, 12:47 PM
man, someone selling it around $750 in "Part for sale" section, check it out by urself.

jpwwong
18-03-2008, 11:19 PM
yup its the one tat dmx posted up! its different to yours dyljoy...its got the slit on both sides on front lip...anyone got more info on this type of kit?

dyljoy
19-03-2008, 03:07 PM
sorry,mate, my fault!!

dmx
19-03-2008, 04:05 PM
sorry,mate, my fault!!

not ur fault mate, u just too excited with ur new accord :D

TurBIce
19-03-2008, 05:20 PM
dyljoy~

civic. then teggy R. now a 08 v6?

jpwwong
19-03-2008, 07:55 PM
So does anyone know whether one can get this kit in melb??

JaCe
19-03-2008, 10:26 PM
not sure but the mugen (and mugen replica) kits are everywhere in sydney now if u have even the slightest idea where to look.

if u want to buy online, check out the traders for genuine kit (jdm concept) or eBay for replicas.

denot
20-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Dont think its available yet in Oz... havent seen or heard anyone have them yet...

dyljoy
20-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Ya mate, just keep exciting when i see it everyday, haha

dyljoy~

civic. then teggy R. now a 08 v6?

denot
20-03-2008, 12:26 PM
have u post any pics up yet joy?

dyljoy
21-03-2008, 01:20 PM
I will post up some pic later, completely stock atm, but it will update around May, when it wear mugen bodykit, visor, Advan AVS T7 18" rim in gold, can't wait!

kelvin00010001
24-03-2008, 02:31 PM
JDM Concept selling it ????

dyljoy
24-03-2008, 03:59 PM
here is the link about my new ride, will keep update:thumbsup:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86801

have u post any pics up yet joy?

bangers178
13-04-2008, 12:32 AM
hey guy just got back from thailand a couple of weeks ago.
just though i'll tell u bought a rep. mugen kit for 150 AUD!!!
and paid 40 buck tax at australian customs. damn it cheap over there!
look like an idiot with a MASSIVE box at the airport though.
just got it painted and fit look good it was perfect and the quaility was REALLY good too. ABS material.

dyljoy
13-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Ya, the replica one is damn cheap in asia. but not everyone have chance to take them via flight like ur way. btw,Show us some pic with ur car's new look.

civic_07
13-04-2008, 06:22 PM
wow, that cheap! Want one for mine real bad now :)

JaCe
13-04-2008, 10:39 PM
150aud for the full lip kit? Wow. I'm gobsmacked. Lucky that it fits well cos I've heard of so many people with badly fitting kits. I'm fortunate that most of mine fit perfectly- except for the rear which needs a little bit of work.

I guess when you consider the bodykit is just a few bits of plastic which have been moulded to fit, maybe it is only that much. Surprised he has to pay $40 tax if it only cost $150aud unless he brought a lot of other stuff over as well.

dyljoy
14-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Good point, JaCe

denot
14-04-2008, 10:24 AM
Surprised he has to pay $40 tax if it only cost $150aud unless he brought a lot of other stuff over as well.

That's what I thouhgt as well JaCe...

viper8548
15-04-2008, 03:56 AM
maybe the $40 tax was for everything he took over, not just the kit

JaCe
15-04-2008, 11:53 AM
^ Presumably. Only thing which makes me wonder is, the taxes would be levied only if you brought a considerable amount of stuff over the allowed tax-free threshold. If he only paid $40 tax, then I don't think that would be total tax since they wouldn't bother to charge you for only $40 worth of unpaid duty/tax- therefore the $40 is likely to be an allocated amount. I'm inclined to think the kit must therefore be closer to the $400 mark; but then only the person who actually bought it from Thailand would know.

Considering I am from Malaysia and I know how much kits cost there (since they are sourced from Thailand alot of the time), I still doubt the $150 pricetag for the entire kit. Maybe one piece such as the front underspoiler, but not the whole kit- especially not for a well-made good-fit kit.

bangers178
15-04-2008, 08:08 PM
when i got to australian customs the officer were just looking at me cause of the massive box i had.
when they talked to me they asked if i had a reciept for the cost of the parts. i didn't have it and told them it was 150. after 10 minutes of waiting they said 40 dollar tax on the item, they also said they did have the right to keep the item until a receipt is produced so i just gave them 40 cause i didn't want any problems.
But i do know that differant items have differant taxes. and i did get it for 150(not trying to pull anyones legs) even if it was 400 it still at good price.

bangers178
15-04-2008, 08:12 PM
oh yeah i bought the replica mugen pedals too for 50AUD - it thought it was a bit expensive.-

triode12
15-04-2008, 09:19 PM
when i got to australian customs the officer were just looking at me cause of the massive box i had.
when they talked to me they asked if i had a reciept for the cost of the parts. i didn't have it and told them it was 150. after 10 minutes of waiting they said 40 dollar tax on the item, they also said they did have the right to keep the item until a receipt is produced so i just gave them 40 cause i didn't want any problems.
But i do know that differant items have differant taxes. and i did get it for 150(not trying to pull anyones legs) even if it was 400 it still at good price.

One is allowed to bring in up to $1000AUD of taxable items into the country w/o being taxed. You should have got a receipt from the shop. Even if the receipt was for $999, you wouldn't have been taxed.

dyljoy
15-04-2008, 10:55 PM
damn right! item under $1000 shouldn't taxed.

denot
16-04-2008, 10:29 AM

bangers178, did you cary them on the plane or baggage? how much roughly do they weight? also, perhaps its not $40 tax... maybe its "we dont want problem here" tax... go straight to the custom guy pockets :p

JaCe
16-04-2008, 06:04 PM
One is allowed to bring in up to $1000AUD of taxable items into the country w/o being taxed. You should have got a receipt from the shop. Even if the receipt was for $999, you wouldn't have been taxed.

Even if got receipt they can still challenge the authenticity of the receipt if it is from a distributor/retailer which is known to produce fake invoices.

Nonetheless though unless you have a serious commercial quantity, they probably wouldn't give a toss. I've brought in $2k++ AUD worth of goods which I've declared (they were gifts) and had no issues with (i.e. no need to pay duty/tax).

dyljoy
17-04-2008, 12:49 AM
anyway, u got a good deal on ur kit. Just enjoy then!

bangers178
19-04-2008, 01:28 PM
it was 10 kg so it weighed shit all. i just carried the bodykit on the plane and put it in oversized lug.
with that 40 buck i dont really care lke i can say i bought a kit for 190 instead of 150 same shit.

JaCe
19-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Pls send us pics when it's on- I'd be most interested to see how well it fits and looks cos it's a bloody amazingly good price.

bangers178
20-04-2008, 11:40 AM
it's on and it fit PERFECT! but cbf taking photos atm.
i'll post up my pic once my car is complete.(all i need to do id lower it)
just a couple of more weeks now. just seeing what i should lower the car on.

JaCe
20-04-2008, 01:38 PM
lol mine is on too. i took a few photos but no time to upload just yet :)

sigh, already hit bumper once when i turned onto the driveway >_>... very disconcerting thud. have to be more careful.

also got car washed/detailed but it looks like it might rain :(:(

Double R
20-04-2008, 01:46 PM
rice body kit

perfectblue
20-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Double R you've been to all the threads leaving the same comments, if you wanna pissed us off, come out with something more creative or original.

denot
20-04-2008, 05:56 PM
sigh, already hit bumper once when i turned onto the driveway >_>... very disconcerting thud. have to be more careful.

Haha JaCe, you might need a reverse parking sensor on your kit, not your rear bumper :p

dyljoy
20-04-2008, 06:48 PM
haha, good point

Double R
21-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Mugen body kit is the best!

Good aerodynamics means improved performance.

jpwwong
23-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Jace

CAn you post your kit up? Did it fit really really well? Was it from ebay auto platinum?

JaCe
24-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Nah not auto plat.

Fitment was good for front bumper- perfect.
Side skirts- supposedly very good but I can see tiny <5mm gaps; not sure if it was intended to have a tiny gap or not at the back of the skirt.
Rear bumper- did not fit very well initially so required a bit of glue and moulding as opposed to the other parts which were all strictly bolt on.

Check my photos thread- http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88722

Shimian
24-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Nah not auto plat.

Fitment was good for front bumper- perfect.
Side skirts- supposedly very good but I can see tiny <5mm gaps; not sure if it was intended to have a tiny gap or not at the back of the skirt.
Rear bumper- did not fit very well initially so required a bit of glue and moulding as opposed to the other parts which were all strictly bolt on.

side: theres a gap because the rear bolts dont bolt directly to the car. It uses some sort of bracket which connects to the car then kit to the bracket. I dont like mine as the skirt is installed too low. It doesnt sit at the same level as the lowest part of the door. (if u know what i mean)

BTW, do you have brackets under your side skirts? Or just bolts at the front, rear and 3m all over?

rear: im guessing you needed glue at the curved part of the car? I have the same problem if its that part. Im gonna get mine redone with some glue/sikaflex

front: perfect

JaCe
25-04-2008, 01:29 AM
side: theres a gap because the rear bolts dont bolt directly to the car. It uses some sort of bracket which connects to the car then kit to the bracket. I dont like mine as the skirt is installed too low. It doesnt sit at the same level as the lowest part of the door. (if u know what i mean)

BTW, do you have brackets under your side skirts? Or just bolts at the front, rear and 3m all over?

rear: im guessing you needed glue at the curved part of the car? I have the same problem if its that part. Im gonna get mine redone with some glue/sikaflex

front: perfect

Skirts have brackets. I think there's 4 or 5 each side.

Sounds like you and me had very similar kits.

triode12
25-04-2008, 07:16 AM
With the exception of the front bumper, I find that the side skirts and rear bumper of our FDs to already be quite "sporty" (for want of a better term).

I feel, from side view, the car without mods already looks pretty good. I only find that it only looks a bit anemic viewed front on.

Actually, all the car needs is a front lip spoiler like Honda used to offer for the EG Civic when it was new. But one that isn't so low as the mugen lip to cause the car to look front heavy without the matching side and rear skirts.

I feel kits like the mugen and modulo (while nice) requires one to upgrade the wheels to sizes 17" and up in size in order that the car looks balanced. So the cost of the mod has to include a set of appropriately sized rims (unless the car already comes standard with them).

Shimian
25-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Skirts have brackets. I think there's 4 or 5 each side.

Sounds like you and me had very similar kits.

LOL, probably from the same factory. There are some kits out there that doesnt use the brackets below, just the bolts (front+back) with lots of 3m tape. Thats why they can install it as high as the door level. Whereas the brackets restricts you. I will probably remove the brackets and reinstall. Looking at the under brackets, they are pretty useless. With mine, it bolts to the kit then to car body. But the bolt that screws to the car body just touches the car body and doesnt go into any holes. Kinda hard to explain, but again, its useless.

JaCe
25-04-2008, 10:41 AM
Hmm... I thought the brackets were bolted to the skirts on mine and act to hold it up/keep it strong so if you knock something it won't just fall off. I'm not really a fan of 3M tape and would rather only use it as a last resort since adhesive, in it's nature, leaves a tiny gap which gets thicker depending on the type of adhesive (e.g. foam tape) and exposes the adhesive to the elements (e.g. wind, water, dirt, etc..) which could, in the long run, weaken and damage the adhesive.

JaCe
25-04-2008, 10:45 AM
With the exception of the front bumper, I find that the side skirts and rear bumper of our FDs to already be quite "sporty" (for want of a better term).

I feel, from side view, the car without mods already looks pretty good. I only find that it only looks a bit anemic viewed front on.

I used to feel that way too lol. Couldn't see why anyone would want to modify the skirts or rear. Until I saw the Mugen kit in real life up close next to another stock Civic FD. The skirts stick out, front lip sticks out (now the numberplate holder is no longer the first thing to make contact if you hit something like a wall!) and the rear diffuser looks great. I see a few here in M'sia where the rear diffuser is colour painted grey whilst the rest of the bumper is colour coded- also looks very nice and a bit like an Evo.

One thing which I really don't like however is when the grille is not painted correctly- the top part I think is supposed to be black; whereas the left/right/bottom should be colour coded per the Mugen pictures @ http://www.mugen-power.com/street/civic/ (look at the blue civic's front grille)

Shimian
25-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Hmm... I thought the brackets were bolted to the skirts on mine and act to hold it up/keep it strong so if you knock something it won't just fall off. I'm not really a fan of 3M tape and would rather only use it as a last resort since adhesive, in it's nature, leaves a tiny gap which gets thicker depending on the type of adhesive (e.g. foam tape) and exposes the adhesive to the elements (e.g. wind, water, dirt, etc..) which could, in the long run, weaken and damage the adhesive.

ill take a photo of mine and see if its the same. Its very hard to explain. As i mentioned, other kits only bolts from the front and rear which is sufficient and the rest is 3m. i dont mean use 3m on every inch of the skirt surface area. But enough to hold it.

triode12
25-04-2008, 09:20 PM
I used to feel that way too lol. Couldn't see why anyone would want to modify the skirts or rear. Until I saw the Mugen kit in real life up close next to another stock Civic FD. The skirts stick out, front lip sticks out (now the numberplate holder is no longer the first thing to make contact if you hit something like a wall!) and the rear diffuser looks great. I see a few here in M'sia where the rear diffuser is colour painted grey whilst the rest of the bumper is colour coded- also looks very nice and a bit like an Evo.

One thing which I really don't like however is when the grille is not painted correctly- the top part I think is supposed to be black; whereas the left/right/bottom should be colour coded per the Mugen pictures @ http://www.mugen-power.com/street/civic/ (look at the blue civic's front grille)

If I were to put a body kit onto my FD2, It would be the FD2R kit.
Too many people with the Mugen kit on their FDs...Someone has got to be different. :p

The INGs kit isn't too bad either.

Shimian
25-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Other than myself, from the day i bought my car (06), ive only seen 2 FDs with a Mugen kit. Not a big fan of the Type R kit. Maybe the rear skirt is ok. Its a full bumper replacement and doesnt look like theres a kit at all. Personal taste i guess.

triode12
25-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Other than myself, from the day i bought my car (06), ive only seen 2 FDs with a Mugen kit. Not a big fan of the Type R kit. Maybe the rear skirt is ok. Its a full bumper replacement and doesnt look like theres a kit at all. Personal taste i guess.

I've seen quite a few here in Sydney. Perhaps not the full kit all the time. Most of them have the front grill changed at the very least.

I like the idea of a full bumper replacement, looks bespoke rather than like an after thought. But like you said, it's subjective. The mugen kit done well looks good too.

I wouldn't mind either...but I can't afford them. ;)

Shimian
25-04-2008, 09:52 PM
mugen kit is the cheaper alternative. Maybe go for Type R kit, as you mentioned many ppl in Sydney has mugen look. If you do go for Type R, make sure it fits perfectly as its a full bumper replacement. You might not be able to do some 'touchup' work like the mugen kit

JaCe
25-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Usually I only see ppl with the grille and/or wing; very rarely see full kit. I think I'm one of the few who has the full kit AND the grille/wing.

denot
26-04-2008, 12:07 PM
My first mod: CTR replica Wing!!! ^_^

pics will be up later :p

JaCe
26-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Just saw a new style kit- never before seen actually in my experience. It looks a bit like a BMW 3 series front with a huge opening at the bottom on the front. Rear and side looks same as mugen. Costs RM1600 (approx 540aud) incl. fitment within 30mins (apparently!). It is also prepainted to match Honda colours...

Oh did I mention this was at Jusco in JB? Jusco is the equivalent of their Big W (i.e. it's like Kmart but it also sells food products).

Shimian
26-04-2008, 09:36 PM
jusco is more like a myer. In HK anyways. They sell actual brands like nike, timberlands etc. Whereas Kmart sells retarded brands like NOW with the exception of BONDS FTW :thumbsup:

JaCe
27-04-2008, 03:14 AM
jusco is more like a myer. In HK anyways. They sell actual brands like nike, timberlands etc. Whereas Kmart sells retarded brands like NOW with the exception of BONDS FTW :thumbsup:

Hmm Jusco is more low market in Malaysia- they usually sell replica crap and cheaper stuff alongside the low-end models from brand names (e.g. cheap digital cameras from Sony) so I figured it's more like BigW/Target/Kmart/etc.. with a supermarket attached lol. I'll upload some photos I took from a local car mods shop sometime too.

markCivicVti
27-04-2008, 10:43 AM
sounds like pick-and-pay we have here.. Not common here.. But there are a few. Supermarket with a big w attached.

Shimian
27-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Heres some pics of the bracket holding up the side skirt. There are 3-4 but only took 1 to show what i mean

As you can see, i think its kinda useless as the bolt attached to the car body only touches it and doesnt go into any hole for better security. By using the brackets, it restricts me from installing it higher as i have to follow the bracket bends. Is yours the same Jace or others?

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/Shimian8/Bracket2.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh46/Shimian8/Bracket1.jpg

dmx
05-05-2008, 08:11 PM

side = genuine ones have the rubber lining along top of side skirt.
but not the replica ones. instead of that, we need to put silicon glue along the top (also to make it nice and fit sit on ur car side)
if u see Camry or Aurion sportivo skirt, they're all use silicon glue on the side and rear.

also the rear skirt.

mugen kit is the cheaper alternative. Maybe go for Type R kit, as you mentioned many ppl in Sydney has mugen look. If you do go for Type R, make sure it fits perfectly as its a full bumper replacement. You might not be able to do some 'touchup' work like the mugen kit

someone already used type-r kit in QLD. very nice fitment indeed.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88888&page=2

Shimian
05-05-2008, 08:57 PM
ahh ok. Then thatll solve my problem. Ill get it redone by removing those brackets underneath. My initial thoughts were correct. They are useless. Now i can install it to where i want it to sit. Just gotta apply sikaflex or 3m or whatever to hold it.

Not really a fan of the type R kit except maybe the rear skirt.