PDA

View Full Version : Problem with G4 coilovers 'HELP!'

cro_civic
17-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Hey guys i got a Ek1 civic and just put G4 coilovers in. The problem i have is when i go over a bump a clunk comes from the front like the shocks are bottoming out, does anyone know or have had the same sort of problem and how can i fix it. They are only 3 days old :(

Thanks Adrian

bennjamin
17-03-2008, 06:04 PM
take it back to the place that installed , and ask them to fix the issue.

if you installed it , then you need to look at a few things.
Did you properly tighten the spring perches ?
Is the spring itself held captive ? (IE not loose)
What ride height are you on ?
What damper setting (if your coilover has adjustable damper) are you on ?

Did you properly tighten ALL parts of the suspension linked to the shock ?

A common mistake is to leave the 14mm bolt (that secures the top of the front fork to the lower shock) alittle loose , so with every bump it lets the shock shift up and down making a "clunk" noise

Get the front checked out asap

cro_civic
17-03-2008, 06:10 PM
now that you said to check the 14mm nut that could be my problem coz they told me not to use a rattle gun on it (the guys from just jap) ill check it when i get to work tomorrow.
thanks.

OMG.JAI xD
17-03-2008, 06:15 PM
.. bled the shocks before fitting?

just a thought.. =]

Sir_vtec
17-03-2008, 06:19 PM
are they second hand? have you got pillow ball mounts? it could be pillow ball mounts.

cro_civic
17-03-2008, 06:31 PM
they are new and thats what the guys from Bell Garage said but i dont think they pillow ball mounts

dsp26
17-03-2008, 08:07 PM
check everything bennjamin said... my bet is the pre-compression state of the springs as the adjustable perch for the spring--> strut mount hasn't tensioned the spring enough...

happens very commonly on coilover sleeves as the springs slide around on the perch....