PDA

View Full Version : FD H.I.D Installation

ej20i
18-03-2008, 11:09 PM
hey guys, i know some of you guys have done an install for the H.I.D
any1 has an instruction on how to mount it properly?
like on how to take the bumper off etc...

applio
19-03-2008, 09:27 AM
first, you dont have to take off the bumper at all.

check your owner Manuel, it shows you how to access to the bulb.

here is the place to mount the ballast
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/applio/07civic1.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/applio/07civic2.jpg

jckidz
19-03-2008, 12:23 PM
first, you dont have to take off the bumper at all.

check your owner Manuel, it shows you how to access to the bulb.

here is the place to mount the ballast
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/applio/07civic1.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l156/applio/07civic2.jpg

I have tried mounting the ballast in those locatiions.. however, it doesn't seems to be secured properly.. any special trick applio? also, anyone here mount the ballast in other locations?

civic_07
19-03-2008, 03:21 PM
man, wish I took photos when I got mine installed about 2 weeks ago, I got a Honda tech guy to do it for me and it took like an hour.

The bumper needed to be taken off, there are locations just in front of the wheels where you can directly bolt/screw the ballast, very secure and tight. The headlights were also removed so he could put the bulbs in and tidy up all the cables.

I'm no expert :D but this is the best way to install HID in a FD imo. You can't even tell if the ballast are there. Everything is hidden, no chance of them getting loose or water coming in, all seal up behind the bumper :thumbsup:

maybe Jace here took some photos bcoz I believe he got it done the same way.

LD_Mart
19-03-2008, 04:11 PM
trust me, no bumpers need to be removed...biggest waste of time...

i got my ballast mounted in the same position as applios photos...

jckidz
19-03-2008, 04:18 PM
trust me, no bumpers need to be removed...biggest waste of time...

i got my ballast mounted in the same position as applios photos...

I've just got my kit installed (DIY).. Did my ballast at the same place as above's photos.. however, after a long drive, even without turning on the light, the ballasts get very hot.. Probably because of the heat from the engine.. Is it okay? Also, is it okay if the ballasts get into contact with water? ex: during rainy days..

applio
19-03-2008, 04:30 PM
if you mount the ballast like me, you don't need to remove the bumper at all, so easy possible DIY for handy person. took around 30-45min can be done

removing the bumper, you doing it more professionally, however takes long time for unprofessional person like me..... around 3-4hrs... but as civic_07 said, 1hr for honda professional person.

as all the ballast should be water proof, so shouldn't worries abt water getting in etc etc......

however if you did hide the ballast from vision, there is chance to avoid defect if copz questioning about your light.

applio
19-03-2008, 04:33 PM
I've just got my kit installed (DIY).. Did my ballast at the same place as above's photos.. however, after a long drive, even without turning on the light, the ballasts get very hot.. Probably because of the heat from the engine.. Is it okay? Also, is it okay if the ballasts get into contact with water? ex: during rainy days..

everything in your engine bay will get HOT, because a running engine is very hot... and ballast can work between temp -40c - 105c, should worries about cooling the ballast.

TurBIce
19-03-2008, 04:59 PM
the way i did mine is. i didnt take off teh bumper. or install it inside the engine bay. as it looks messy ( no offence :))

look in your mnual. it tells u how to change ur light bulb. i used the same entrance. while in there. double side sticker AND ziptie it to the panel inside. and its an easy reach to ur headlights. the wiring can be ziptied to the surrounding panels..

tip : remove ur front wheel so u can pull the flap down more, gives u more arm room n space to shine ur light in.

hope this helps. i shoudl have took pictures while installing mine. but i didnt have anyone extra to help me~

ej20i
19-03-2008, 08:07 PM
hmmm...thanks guys...i'll try both ideas...apolio idea is very nice tho...ez..hehe
but i'll try to take some photos of the install

kelvin00010001
24-03-2008, 02:37 PM
mine one also don't have to remove the bumper.... I saw them install from the inner part in the front wheel....

JaCe
24-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Mine are installed behind the bumper- very very tidy installation done by BK. If you search up my posts on the HID install you'll see them somewhere arather.

wassup
26-03-2008, 06:32 PM
I had a previous post with pics... The bumper takes about 10mins to remove. Its not difficult. Just alot of screws to remove and then gently pulling it away from the front bumper mounts (particularly under the headlights).

Once done that the hardest part of the entire install.... you can mount the HID kit easily with so many options.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42642&page=3

ej20i
26-03-2008, 07:46 PM
excellent...thanks mate,have u got any instruction on the removing the bumper?

myfd1
27-03-2008, 06:02 PM
mines different they put it inside the bumper and u can remove the bulbs without removing the bumper all u have to do is take off the front wheels then take off the clips under the fender and there you can put the whole kit.

wassup
27-03-2008, 08:27 PM
excellent...thanks mate,have u got any instruction on the removing the bumper?

Sorry i dont. But its striaght forward if you just dont force it too much.

The pop screws at the top of the grill need to be all removed. Above each wheel at the corners of the bumper are metal screws (1 each side) that need to be removed. Underneath the bumper are also a series of small screws/bolts all are visible. Once removed pull each corner of the bumper down carefully, out and forward.. take time when pulling out from the headlight locations as there is a bracket under each headlight that essentially clips the bumper firmly to the chassis. As soon as you clear the headlight sections on each side the bumper will come out (forward).. just be careful where you then place it as you dont want to scratch the paintwork...

First time... 15mins.. every other time you do it.. 5mins!

Once you get the bumper off the HID install will very easily be a very clean install...

Use cable ties to secure the Ballasts and cable tie the cables too... you can run the cables from the right hand side HID to towards the battery area under the top part of the grilll... nice and clean.

Hope this helps

ej20i
28-03-2008, 08:55 AM
helped alot mate thanks
but one thing that anoyed me now...wen the h.i.d arrived.one bulb doesnt glow!!!!how anoying
so atm im driving with h.i.d on one side and normal on the oda..and the ebay guy ive contacted but he hasnt contact me back!!!

Frost_FD
28-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Does any one know where i can get good quality HID conversion kits?

I want my lights to look something like the Euros and new CRVs
not just a bright light, but ones that change when moving from distance.

ej20i
28-03-2008, 05:58 PM
u shud look for things like the real BOSCH or SOL but then u 2 pay the price they range from 400++ to around 1000++.
or u can just get things from ebay lolz for around 80++

destrukshn
28-03-2008, 06:01 PM

can't go wrong with the mu secret ones really, lifetim warranty.
installed plenty of em, with no problems ever.

wassup
28-03-2008, 09:10 PM

The silver to white to purple tinge your refering to happends becuase the headlight uses a lens (projectors) which the FD does not have... no matter what HID kit you get you wont be able to replicate that effect...

If you want good quality kits check out Xenon depot as their kits are made from Phillips OEM parts. The ballast are also very thin compared to the cheap kits so mounting options are endless.

JaCe
29-03-2008, 12:25 AM
can't go wrong with the mu secret ones really, lifetim warranty.
installed plenty of em, with no problems ever.

Agreed. I really like them. Also not "too" bright.

civic_07
29-03-2008, 07:55 PM
One more for the mu secret HID kit, got them for about a month now, just beautiful at nite :D

Kezza_Coupe
01-04-2008, 06:12 PM
what is the best Ks to get. i cant decide between 6000k or 8000k HID ?? any tips on which ones i should go for and what looks nice and clean

dmx
01-04-2008, 07:06 PM
6000k (white blue)
8000K (white purple)
4500k (white)
4000k (white yellow)
the differences only about color, it's personal choice.
same brightness (watt).

jpwwong
02-04-2008, 01:40 AM
Isnt it illegal to get HIDs in Aust? If its not stock, then its illegal isnt it?

Shimian
02-04-2008, 07:39 AM
a noob question. Does HIDs emit a brighter light if i use a bigger/stronger battery vs stock?

Riviera
02-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Isnt it illegal to get HIDs in Aust? If its not stock, then its illegal isnt it?

if its not installed by a certified auto electrician and calibrated with a certificate
maybe.... but see i dont know...
in QLD, its illegal if u just get a HID kit and slap it in the stock
headlight casing with out a light directing lens like u see in the S2k, euro, or legend

EuroDude
02-04-2008, 09:19 AM

Its illegal to have HID's without Projector lenses and washers, and I'm pretty sure its illegal to install HID's in a car that had Halogens stock. Not sure if you can get an engineers certificate to legalize it.

wassup
02-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Its not legal to fit HID's if it wasnt fitted at factory.

wassup
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
a noob question. Does HIDs emit a brighter light if i use a bigger/stronger battery vs stock?

The battery doesnt have a bearing on the light output so long as the Ballast and the electrical system get a minimum charge. If you want the brightest light output you need a kit with a colour temp around the 4800k mark the higher you go, the bluer it gets and light output drops.

Secondly, the more efficient the headlight (ie: factory projector housings the most efficient) the better placed the light it.

So, forget about voltage, worry about colour temp and beam

jpwwong
02-04-2008, 06:04 PM
lol then it kind of defeats the purpose of this thread...doesnt it? I wanna get one, but still weighing up the pros and cons i guess? I don't want cops buzzing around me all the time!

Shimian
02-04-2008, 06:15 PM
maybe go for a lower temp one so it wont attract as much attention. im using 4300k. its white with a slight yellow.

dmx
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
yes, illegal to fit HID, but it's like put 18" on ur car from stock 15" rims. or like ur drive about 65 kmh at 60 kmh zone. so i will say it's "grey" area. if bad luck, u got "catch".

The battery doesnt have a bearing on the light output so long as the Ballast and the electrical system get a minimum charge. If you want the brightest light output you need a kit with a colour temp around the 4800k mark the higher you go, the bluer it gets and light output drops.

Secondly, the more efficient the headlight (ie: factory projector housings the most efficient) the better placed the light it.

So, forget about voltage, worry about colour temp and beam
colour temp doesn't related to brightness. brightness measurement is WATT. if u want more, just go to 100W or 120W. colour temp only make it clearer (if white-yellow) or little "blur" (if white blue).

maybe go for a lower temp one so it wont attract as much attention. im using 4300k. its white with a slight yellow.
he's right, just go abouunder 5000k or about 4500k, i think is the best.
if about 6000-8000K, would be "bad" in foggy cond. hard to see.

NeoNode
02-04-2008, 07:41 PM
yes, illegal to fit HID, but it's like put 18" on ur car from stock 15" rims. or like ur drive about 65 kmh at 60 kmh zone. so i will say it's "grey" area. if bad luck, u got "catch".
Putting on bigger wheels or driving a bees dick difference over the speed limit does not impair on driver's vision like incorrectly fitted HID will.

To blind other drivers momentarily for even a split second is far more dangerous than driving 5km/h over the limit.

Colour temp doesn't related to brightness. brightness measurement is WATT. if u want more, just go to 100W or 120W. colour temp only make it clearer (if white-yellow) or little "blur" (if white blue).
It's humans perception of the blue colour that makes it the worst colour to be used in headlights and why 4300k would be optimal for all conditions and in rain.

And to measure light you use lumens, not watts.

Shimian
02-04-2008, 08:15 PM
You cant really say one is worst than the other. All are disobeying the law. He is only giving an example of how rules are disobeyed daily. People who put HIDs will take the risk of getting caught and may cause harm in some way (e.g. blind oncoming traffic causing them to crash). This is same for driving 5km over speed limit, increasing the braking distance and can also cause harm.

dmx
02-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Putting on bigger wheels or driving a bees dick difference over the speed limit does not impair on driver's vision like incorrectly fitted HID will.

To blind other drivers momentarily for even a split second is far more dangerous than driving 5km/h over the limit.

It's humans perception of the blue colour that makes it the worst colour to be used in headlights and why 4300k would be optimal for all conditions and in rain.

And to measure light you use lumens, not watts.

lumens --> use for home light , u r in wrong section mate
for car bulb they use kelvin for color.
and ONCE AGAIN !!!!!!! for brightness, we all human being in the WORLD using WATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!
home = 2700lumens (warm light color) and brightness =12W or 15W or 20W
car = 6000K (white-blue) and brightness = 100W, 120 W.
and don't put ur GE home bulb into ur car mate !!!:thumbdwn:

dmx
02-04-2008, 08:29 PM
white -blue color CANNOT penetrate the whity foggy as good as yellow color.
if 5000K (white-blue) compare with 4300K(white-yellow), 4300K better.
if compare with standard or yellow glass fog light, they're better.
this is not a human perception, this is science !

NeoNode
02-04-2008, 08:32 PM
You cant really say one is worst than the other. All are disobeying the law. He is only giving an example of how rules are disobeyed daily. People who put HIDs will take the risk of getting caught and may cause harm in some way (e.g. blind oncoming traffic causing them to crash). This is same for driving 5km over speed limit, increasing the braking distance and can also cause harm.
Of course one is worse than the other.
Penalties range in serverity, thus not all offences are equal.

If it was an example, it sure wasn't well thought out.

You can quickly fix your 5km/h over issue by taking your foot off the accelerator pedal or use the brakes, it doesn't annoy other drivers with glare nor does it cause them to get temporarily blinded.
What can you do to a car equipped with aftermarket HID's driving at night?

To break the law by speeding and knowing the consequences is one thing, but to break the law, blind other innocent drivers, and not know one is doing anything illegal is another kettle of fish.

NeoNode
02-04-2008, 08:44 PM
lumens --> use for home light , u r in wrong section mate
for car bulb they use kelvin for color.
and ONCE AGAIN !!!!!!! for brightness, we all human being in the WORLD using WATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT !!!!
home = 2700lumens (warm light color) and brightness =12W or 15W or 20W
car = 6000K (white-blue) and brightness = 100W, 120 W.
and don't put ur GE home bulb into ur car mate !!!:thumbdwn:

The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI unit of luminous flux, a measure of the perceived power of light

The watt (symbol: W) is the SI derived unit of power, equal to one joule of energy per second.

Brightness is an attribute of visual perception in which a source appears to emit a given amount of light. In other words, brightness is the perception elicited by the luminance of a visual target.
Light is light, it doesn't care if it's used in homes, on cars, on photographic flashes or even coming from the sun.

Do explain why the watt in this sentence is talking about power and not brightness?

A typical household incandescent light bulb uses electrical energy at a rate of 25 to 100 watts, while energy-saving compact fluorescent lights, which are gradually replacing incandescent bulbs, typically consume 5 to 30 watts.

Source (http://www.wikipedia.org/)

dmx
02-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Of course one is worse than the other.
Penalties range in serverity, thus not all offences are equal.

If it was an example, it sure wasn't well thought out.

You can quickly fix your 5km/h over issue by taking your foot off the accelerator pedal or use the brakes, it doesn't annoy other drivers with glare nor does it cause them to get temporarily blinded.
What can you do to a car equipped with aftermarket HID's driving at night?

To break the law by speeding and knowing the consequences is one thing, but to break the law, blind other innocent drivers, and not know one is doing anything illegal is another kettle of fish.

mate, my example is not about the risk, penalty, fines, or what so ever.
but my point is, sometimes u drive over 5kmh, and u got gun radar by police, sometimes (most) they will let you go.
if u run out of ur luck, by the law, they (let say new young cadet cops) can fine u.
so the same like in HID thing, if u passed by wise and easy going police, you're ok, but let say, a cop just rejected to have s** by his wife and meet you with blue bright HID, you better ready:wave:

dmx
02-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Light is light, it doesn't care if it's used in homes, on cars, on photographic flashes or even coming from the sun.

Do explain why the watt in this sentence is talking about power and not brightness?

Source (http://www.wikipedia.org/)
heya... like talk to year 10 kid.
Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that colour temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or Hid kit . This belief is completely false.......

http://www.popnow.cn/list.php?nid=70
http://www.delonixradar.com.au/products/HID/colour_chart.html

and for me, power have 2 : input and output. Output power (watt) as we will see for brightness result.

Shimian
02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
lets get back to the topic. we all know its illegal on non standard HID cars. You take the chance if you install it.

Anyways, i installed mine on the inside part of the bumper. Its well hidden and hopefully protect from water touching it. I may try to find some 5ks to replace my 4300ks

NeoNode
02-04-2008, 08:59 PM
mate, my example is not about the risk, penalty, fines, or what so ever.
but my point is, sometimes u drive over 5kmh, and u got gun radar by police, sometimes (most) they will let you go.
if u run out of ur luck, by the law, they (let say new young cadet cops) can fine u.
so the same like in HID thing, if u passed by wise and easy going police, you're ok, but let say, a cop just rejected to have s** by his wife and meet you with blue bright HID, you better ready:wave:
I really do wish you would read the whole post before coming up with your reply.

I refer you to the last sentence of my post.

The amount of n00b HID threads I've seen lead me to believe is not far from the truth, and people don't even realise they are endangering others.

NeoNode
02-04-2008, 09:07 PM
heya... like talk to year 10 kid.
Color Temperature is a measurement in Degrees Kelvin that indicates the hue of a specific type of light source. Many people believe the misconception that colour temperature is a rating of the brightness of the bulb or Hid kit . This belief is completely false.

http://www.popnow.cn/list.php?nid=70
http://www.delonixradar.com.au/products/HID/colour_chart.html
I'm not even disagreeing about the fact regarding colour temperature.
I have made no mention at all in disagreeance regarding colour temperature in my replies, so I have no idea why you keep bringing it back up?

Perhaps you need to read more carefully, this is the only part of your reply i'm refuting.

Brightness is NOT measured using WATT.
WATT is a unit of measurement of POWER.

To measure light, two units of measure are used. Lumens and Candelas.

I hope I don't have to make it any more clear that to measure brightness you don't use the SI Unit WATT.

dmx
02-04-2008, 09:07 PM
I really do wish you would read the whole post before coming up with your reply.

I refer you to the last sentence of my post.

The amount of n00b HID threads I've seen lead me to believe is not far from the truth, and people don't even realise they are endangering others.
i completely agree with you about illegal and the danger about misfitting HID, but, once again, ..... ahh.. anyway, lets we respecting each other opinion.
cheers

NeoNode
02-04-2008, 09:12 PM
dmx, no dramas, i'll leave it at that.

dmx
02-04-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm not even disagreeing about the fact regarding colour temperature.
I have made no mention at all in disagreeance regarding colour temperature in my replies, so I have no idea why you keep bringing it back up?

Perhaps you need to read more carefully, this is the only part of your reply i'm refuting.

Brightness is NOT measured using WATT.
WATT is a unit of measurement for POWER.

To measure light, two units of measure are used. Lumens and Candelas.

I hope I don't have to make it any more clear that to measure brightness you don't use the SI Unit WATT.

ok, now you tell me, have you ever know someone who sell/advistise the bulb or mechanic who say this bulb will give you 5000 lumens or 5000 candela bright. with my years and years exp. never heard. but they will say, this is bulb will give 120watt bright and ur old ones is 100watt bright.
and yes, power measure by watt for input or output.
with output power in result to the brightness.
if see this in reality, you will know, lumens or candela or gondola never exist in car mods.
http://www.h-i-d.co.uk/
http://www.hidworld.com/cart.php?page=more_about_hid_kit

dmx
02-04-2008, 09:21 PM
dmx, no dramas, i'll leave it at that.
no no no, no heart feeling mate:thumbsup:
we just sharing our tought and info.
and may be how i write not reflecting my mood.:cool:
i'm ok, and not upset or what ever.:D
don't forget, write is just a word and character, doesn't have sound and laugh. my apologize if my writing is too "rough".:o
cheers:cool:
:thumbsup:

ej20i
02-04-2008, 09:45 PM
yeah...guys dont worry...if u want to install em..go ahead...if u think its dangerous dont do it...
my exp is that the only thing that blinds is when u actually look at it...dun look at it if someone is driving past u..
i get pulled over at least 3 times a week with my Impreza since it was all modded...the ballast just sits there....they dun really care...all i got question about is always the HOOD SCOOP

Riviera
02-04-2008, 09:47 PM
yeah...guys dont worry...if u want to install em..go ahead...if u think its dangerous dont do it...
my exp is that the only thing that blinds is when u actually look at it...dun look at it if someone is driving past u..
i get pulled over at least 3 times a week with my Impreza since it was all modded...the ballast just sits there....they dun really care...all i got question about is always the HOOD SCOOP

how can u not look at it i saw a FD civic just as i came off the highway with HID
they were beaming sideways even... it was so beautiful lol i just had to stare

applio
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
who has got defected by using 4000k-6000k aftermarket hid conversion kit? and how much is the fine?

we all saying is illegal, but i wanna see how many people actually got fined because of the light....

applio
02-04-2008, 10:10 PM
3000K -- Intense Yellow / 3200 lumens,
4300K --Extreme White / 3100 lumens,
6000K --Diamond White / 2900 lumens,
8000K --Iceberg Blue / 2500 lumens,
10000K --Brilliant Blue / 2300 lumens,
12000K --Voilet Purple / 2000 lumens

here is chart related to K and LM,

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/images/articles/66/1.jpg

jpwwong
02-04-2008, 11:11 PM
lol the thread got slightly skewed, but back to the topic, yea i think i'm gonna go with it! looks like everyone got off with their 4300k lights...and it looks like a normal HID anyway, so i dont think it is any worst than factory fitted ones.

Shimian
02-04-2008, 11:17 PM
You can go wrong with 4300k. I want to try out 5k but dunno where to get some cheap ones. Maybe ill try ebay. There is a car that drives around with purple low beams. Looks sexy :thumbsup:

jckidz
03-04-2008, 04:20 PM
You can go wrong with 4300k. I want to try out 5k but dunno where to get some cheap ones. Maybe ill try ebay. There is a car that drives around with purple low beams. Looks sexy :thumbsup:

I always see one white Merc around melbourne CBD driving with Purple low beams, too sexy..

denot
04-04-2008, 12:47 PM
to tell you the truth... seeing ppl with blue (10,000 K) HID coming from the other side of the road is A LOT better then seeing ppl with stock bulbs but keep his/her (I cant see!!!) high beam ON ALL THE TIME!!!!! I almost kill a poor cat this morning when this idiot just came from my oposite direction!!!

Anyway, I've sen bad HID install (too bright), good HID install (looks like OEM HID) but never heard any story abt ppl get fine for installing an Aftermarket HID. Even when my mate was pulled over by RBT, he was asked about the HID, and he honestly (and stupidly - IMO) say it was aftermarket, the police just say "oh ok" and walk away... I was like... "WTH???"

applio
04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
to tell you the truth... seeing ppl with blue (10,000 K) HID coming from the other side of the road is A LOT better then seeing ppl with stock bulbs but keep his/her (I cant see!!!) high beam ON ALL THE TIME!!!!! I almost kill a poor cat this morning when this idiot just came from my oposite direction!!!

Anyway, I've sen bad HID install (too bright), good HID install (looks like OEM HID) but never heard any story abt ppl get fine for installing an Aftermarket HID. Even when my mate was pulled over by RBT, he was asked about the HID, and he honestly (and stupidly - IMO) say it was aftermarket, the police just say "oh ok" and walk away... I was like... "WTH???"

yeah, i rekon copz dont really care about your headlight is runing hid or not in aus, as long as nothing in "blue".

seems "violet" color HID? they look more sexy than "blue" hid.....

dmx
04-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I always see one white Merc around melbourne CBD driving with Purple low beams, too sexy..
but when u see closely, the color become white, not purple anymore.
that OEM HID :thumbsup:

I'm still hunting to find aftermarket HID which similiar like OEM HID,
ie. euro lux HID, from far away, you will see blue-purple-white color, but when u pass it (side by side)the light, just white.
but aftermarket HID, far away=blue/purple-white, when u closer look, still the same, have blue color.

Frost_FD
04-04-2008, 03:57 PM
One more for the mu secret HID kit, got them for about a month now, just beautiful at nite :D

Have you got a picture of the mu HID installed on your civic i would like to see the colour of it.

applio
04-04-2008, 09:54 PM
but when u see closely, the color become white, not purple anymore.
that OEM HID :thumbsup:

I'm still hunting to find aftermarket HID which similiar like OEM HID,
ie. euro lux HID, from far away, you will see blue-purple-white color, but when u pass it (side by side)the light, just white.
but aftermarket HID, far away=blue/purple-white, when u closer look, still the same, have blue color.

1 thing for sure, same 6000k HID KIT, put on projector headlight, view from 100m away to 0m, color change from purple/blue/white dancing a bit to white......

put on refector headlighter like the FD civic, same 6000k,
100m away to 0m
blue to white.

so is not the matter of the HID kit, is the matter of your headlight, i own a BA 323 come with stock projector headlight and the FD civic. and i had HID runing on both car

Frost_FD
05-04-2008, 11:58 AM
There was a thread on changing your projector head lights ima going to try and find it.

Thanks apllio ill see if that works

mikoZ
05-04-2008, 08:58 PM
06 civic fd is 9006 or h1???

Shimian
05-04-2008, 09:32 PM
9006 low beam

jcpabc
07-04-2008, 11:20 PM
I put mine without removing the bumper too, DIY, 90mins.

rk 86 wa
09-04-2008, 01:00 AM
how are the stock headlight casings with the hids?

is it very "projected" or is there much reflection of the light?

am curious cause looking at them myself, thanks! :)

ej20i
09-04-2008, 10:00 AM
i just got my bulb replacement yesterdae and oh damm....im loving it...it is beautiful

applio
09-04-2008, 02:18 PM
how are the stock headlight casings with the hids?

is it very "projected" or is there much reflection of the light?

am curious cause looking at them myself, thanks! :)

here is what i found by comparing the beam pattern with stock halogen and HID.

the beam pattern look exactly the same.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/DSC02021.jpg

just because the HID produce almost 3x LM than the stock halogen, so it could glare for other peoples

denot
09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/DSC02021.jpg

applio, what K HID you use there? is it too dark on the road? cheers

ej20i
09-04-2008, 03:11 PM
i use 8000K and its fine on the road well except when its raining...harder to see in comparison with halogen

applio
09-04-2008, 04:13 PM
applio, what K HID you use there? is it too dark on the road? cheers

this photo is runing 8000k, i did try 25000k, 15000k, 8000k, 6000k, 4300k and 3000k, but at the end, i stick with 4300k, the brightest i rekon over all.

applio
09-04-2008, 04:15 PM
i use 8000K and its fine on the road well except when its raining...harder to see in comparison with halogen

agree, all HID are harder to see when raining, except 3000k.

denot
09-04-2008, 04:27 PM
i stick with 4300k, the brightest i rekon over all.

do you have pics of 4300K? (sorry if you've posted it somewhere before)

applio
09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
do you have pics of 4300K? (sorry if you've posted it somewhere before)

yup.

left is 4300k and right is 6000k

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/DSC00631.jpg

JaCe
09-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Wow how'd you take a photo of it? I can't take photos of my headlights (even before I put the HIDs in)!

applio
09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow how'd you take a photo of it? I can't take photos of my headlights (even before I put the HIDs in)!

use tripod/stand, than change your shutter speed.

different digital camera different setting.

JaCe
09-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Hmm even if it looks really blindingly bright on the LCD screen?

I'm a bit slow.. I only recently discovered the benefits of using tripod and delayed shutter.

philmak
09-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I've got 6500k, couldnt be happier..

rk 86 wa
10-04-2008, 03:31 PM
thanks applio1

sKy.xD
12-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Just a few days ago i saw 6k headlights on 2 cars ... damn they look sweet! but their totally noticeable lol. So if it is illegal wow at the ones that have them illegally ... i guess the cops dont care ..

wassup
12-04-2008, 11:53 PM

Where can these kits be found and how much typically? Im getting an FN2R so my current kit in my Sport wont fit :(

applio
13-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Where can these kits be found and how much typically? Im getting an FN2R so my current kit in my Sport wont fit :(

FN2R not good to install HID kit, because the design of the headlight housing. the beam pattern will be "uncontrollable"

wassup
14-04-2008, 06:58 PM
FN2R not good to install HID kit, because the design of the headlight housing. the beam pattern will be "uncontrollable"

So ive seen.

But the UK have ppl selling a H7R bulb that has improved beam pattern control as a section of the bulb is blocked....???

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/hidshopuk/GT%20-%20LISTING/h7R.jpg

freakygeek
15-04-2008, 04:20 PM
ok, now you tell me, have you ever know someone who sell/advistise the bulb or mechanic who say this bulb will give you 5000 lumens or 5000 candela bright. with my years and years exp. never heard. but they will say, this is bulb will give 120watt bright and ur old ones is 100watt bright.
and yes, power measure by watt for input or output.
with output power in result to the brightness.
if see this in reality, you will know, lumens or candela or gondola never exist in car mods.
http://www.h-i-d.co.uk/
http://www.hidworld.com/cart.php?page=more_about_hid_kit

You make no sense and have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about.

NeoNode is correct, wattage is irrelevant to light intensity/brightness. "Brightness" is measured in Lumens. Any decent HID bulb manufacturer (Philips, Osram) will give you a light output measured in Lumens. This is also different from the colour temperature, which is measured in Kelvin.

dmx, Do some research before spreading misinformation and garbage please.

denot
15-04-2008, 05:04 PM
You make no sense and have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about.

NeoNode is correct, wattage is irrelevant to light intensity/brightness. "Brightness" is measured in Lumens. Any decent HID bulb manufacturer (Philips, Osram) will give you a light output measured in Lumens. This is also different from the colour temperature, which is measured in Kelvin.

dmx, Do some research before spreading misinformation and garbage please.

ok ppl... what does this has to do with installing HID on FDs? :confused: Back to topic pls...

freakygeek
15-04-2008, 05:09 PM
ok ppl... what does this has to do with installing HID on FDs? :confused: Back to topic pls...

Just trying to stop the spread of misinformation around these parts.

Back to the topic of the FD then, shall we?

My advice would be - don't put HID's into an FD unless you are going to do a projector retrofit, or purchase the JDM HID headlight assembly complete, otherwise you will produce glare to the max.

General advice for HID's, 4300k (OEM colour temperature) produces the best output. (most LUMENS)

applio
16-04-2008, 10:24 AM
So ive seen.

But the UK have ppl selling a H7R bulb that has improved beam pattern control as a section of the bulb is blocked....???

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj47/hidshopuk/GT%20-%20LISTING/h7R.jpg

not much different, because FN2R didn't come with the little "cap" that bouncing the light.

Double R
20-04-2008, 01:48 PM
another rice install that shouts look away "rice driver inside"

ej20i
21-04-2008, 09:30 AM
rice install?wad do u mean?this actually serves a purpose...berter driveability at nite!

freakygeek
21-04-2008, 10:00 AM
rice install?wad do u mean?this actually serves a purpose...berter driveability at nite!

Poor quality HID kit bulbs are often worse than OEM Halogens for visibility...

This is the perfect example, HID in one side, Halogen in the other... look at the light on the road... which is best do you think? The HID lamp is producing heaps more glare, but not as much usable light on the road!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcX63e7peV0&search=Hidding

denot
21-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Poor quality HID kit bulbs are often worse than OEM Halogens for visibility...

This is the perfect example, HID in one side, Halogen in the other... look at the light on the road... which is best do you think? The HID lamp is producing heaps more glare, but not as much usable light on the road!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcX63e7peV0&search=Hidding

uhm... that video doesnt show how does it looks like from Inside the car... :thumbdwn:

freakygeek
21-04-2008, 01:08 PM
uhm... that video doesnt show how does it looks like from Inside the car... :thumbdwn:

It doesn't need to!

You can clearly see there is less light on the road from the HID, and far more glare to blind oncoming drivers!! :thumbdwn:

applio
21-04-2008, 01:16 PM
It doesn't need to!

You can clearly see there is less light on the road from the HID, and far more glare to blind oncoming drivers!! :thumbdwn:

is the matter you adjust the beam, is a 5th gen prelude, and seems to be he took off the stock cap to install the hid.

is glare because of the hid is very bright, and is not light on the road because he didnt adjust the beam, not because of the quality of the HID.

freakygeek
21-04-2008, 01:22 PM
is the matter you adjust the beam, is a 5th gen prelude, and seems to be he took off the stock cap to install the hid.

is glare because of the hid is very bright, and is not light on the road because he didnt adjust the beam, not because of the quality of the HID.

Whatever, you'll never achieve really decent results when you slap some crappy HID kit into reflector headlight housings designed for Halogen bulbs.

But you know, it doesn't stop people like yourself flogging useless chinese 8000k HID kits with crap bulbs and components to people who don't know any better. :thumbdwn:

OEM HID FTW! :p

denot
21-04-2008, 03:26 PM
But you know, it doesn't stop people like yourself flogging useless chinese 8000k HID kits with crap bulbs and components to people who don't know any better. :thumbdwn:

u sure OEM HID kits are not made in china? :cool:

oh well, Eagle Eyes FTW! :p

MrThanh
21-04-2008, 05:15 PM

i've got HID in my fn2, and the beam is quite decent from a reflector. the cutoff is alot sharper compared to hids in the DC5.

applio
21-04-2008, 08:51 PM
Whatever, you'll never achieve really decent results when you slap some crappy HID kit into reflector headlight housings designed for Halogen bulbs.

that video demonstrate how glare when hid installed into stock halogen reflector housing. BUT did not mention where is the kit made, he could be putted a Phillip hid kit in, who knows..... is just your own opinion that kit are come from China. :thumbdwn:

any if all "made in china" are crap and sh!t, throw out 50% of your house goods :thumbsup:

ej20i
21-04-2008, 10:54 PM
2 be honest im using applio's hid kit and im loving it...better vision at nite...to be honest driving my bros fd without hid...its like driving without lites

Double R
21-04-2008, 11:18 PM
HID imitation

freakygeek
22-04-2008, 08:58 AM
i've got HID in my fn2, and the beam is quite decent from a reflector. the cutoff is alot sharper compared to hids in the DC5.

I'd like it if you could post up a shot with the beam pointed against a wall, for interests sake... :)

MrThanh
22-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I'd like it if you could post up a shot with the beam pointed against a wall, for interests sake... :)

just for you cambo

on the '0' setting
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8772&d=1208861033

on the lowest '3' setting
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8773&d=1208861033

the HID in this has a similar cutoff to my gfs jazz with halogens. they havn't come up very well in the pics probably because of the blue wall. i'll admit that it still causes some glare, however i'm on the hunt for another headlight housing and then its retrofit time.

wassup
22-04-2008, 11:47 PM

*Yawn*

Its well documented that youve got an issue with non OEM HID installs.. move on!

The fact of the matter is this thread is about non OEM HID installs and people are interested...

freakygeek
23-04-2008, 09:56 AM
*Yawn*

Its well documented that youve got an issue with non OEM HID installs.. move on!

The fact of the matter is this thread is about non OEM HID installs and people are interested...

Sorry if I am boring you, 'wassup'. But I feel that lighting is an important safety issue, and if people are made aware of the proper way of doing things, maybe more people will spend a little more money and time to do it properly?

If people don't know there are better ways of doing things, then they won't. I previously had an '88House' crap HID kit in my DC2R, after it didn't give me the results I had wanted I looked around for more information and went down the retrofit path, and now I am very happy with the results I have.

There is a Camry in my area with what looks to be a 8000k HID PnP kit fitted, driving toward it is absolutely horrible, and the clueless owner thinks they have "good lights". The more people I can make "see the light" (lol) and realise that what they are doing isn't much good, the better off all road users will be.

freakygeek
23-04-2008, 09:58 AM
just for you cambo

on the '0' setting
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8772&d=1208861033

on the lowest '3' setting
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8773&d=1208861033

the HID in this has a similar cutoff to my gfs jazz with halogens. they havn't come up very well in the pics probably because of the blue wall. i'll admit that it still causes some glare, however i'm on the hunt for another headlight housing and then its retrofit time.

Cheers for taking those... OEM headlight height adjustment is handy at least :)

It's a bit hard to see with the background light, but yeah, the cutoff is very typical of most reflector headlights... quite 'soft' around the edges, but thankfully not too much glare above the lit up area!

jkz
23-04-2008, 08:57 PM
i just installed the mutec hid kit but i seem to be blinding everyone. Does anyone know where im able to adjust the beam to aim downwards? i've tried looking for the cog but i can't seem to find it

BC8
26-04-2008, 03:53 PM
anyone have a photo of their FD with HID's 6000k or 8000k?

LD_Mart
29-04-2008, 04:42 PM
has any one tried using PHILLIPS DIAMOND VISION instead of HID or even just the crystal vision...
just wondering if the light would be more controlled cause on my FD the HID seems just to shoot light every where...

howy
30-04-2008, 09:22 PM
hmm..

So if I didn't want to install HID's, what are the 'legal' options?

I've heard bits and pieces about the phillips bulbs? anyone used them before?

jeffreymui
30-07-2008, 12:21 PM
lol applio's hid's are awesome, too bad for u that dun want to use made in china stuff, i guess u might want to stop using the comps u have right now, i gotta give it a lol, no offence buddy

applio
05-08-2008, 11:11 PM
lol applio's hid's are awesome, too bad for u that dun want to use made in china stuff, i guess u might want to stop using the comps u have right now, i gotta give it a lol, no offence buddy

:wave:

just installed hid for a FN2 CTR lo beam, hi beam and fog light, and took some photo of it, (not my car) but nice photo to share

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/338401536_dsc_0826.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/338401716_dsc_0828.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/338401973_dsc_0834.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/342788388_dsc_0933.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/342794684_dsc_0938.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/342450924_dsc_0928.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/342451000_dsc_0921.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/342451183_dsc_0906.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/342451021_dsc_0909.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/342451182_dsc_0907.jpg http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m47/ebuyproduct/342451188_dsc_0908.jpg

musers
05-08-2008, 11:17 PM
looking nice
fog lights are HIDs too ?

applio
06-08-2008, 12:37 AM
looking nice
fog lights are HIDs too ?

yup, all front light are converted to HID.

VTECACCORD
06-08-2008, 08:56 AM
looks cheap

Egsix
14-08-2008, 02:40 AM
I have used philips crystal and diamond vision before but changed to HIDs recently. It is a world of difference and i would put my money on the pair of HIDs anyday over the Philips. They cost around the same anyway :D

denot
14-08-2008, 09:21 AM
LOL @ Grand Style... DMX has been selling the double din kit for ages (and its the Japan OEM one).

Back to topic: anyone has pics to compare how the lightning looks like from the driver seat using AE + HID, just HID or just AE?

Thanks in advance

Grand Style
14-08-2008, 09:25 AM
I usually install the HID by took off the front bar, it only take 15min to take it off, then it will be easy to work on, u can also mount it properly, I think it doesn't look good if u just mount it in the engine bay, better hide it somewhere under the headlight.

FD2R
14-08-2008, 12:38 PM
yup, all front light are converted to HID.

That is bright .. :cool:
anyway ill put my high beam to halogen (my setup). coz hids need 5-10 seconds to charge up, if i want to flash my high beam suddenly(eg: “seek for a race”, lol), halogen can work instantly. Also the blue coat on the halogen lights can bring your car a blink blink look at daytime. Lol. :D
BTW, just letting you know, 4 HIDS kills my battery within one half year :( (I mostly drive at night 1h/day).

applio
14-08-2008, 07:44 PM
I have used philips crystal and diamond vision before but changed to HIDs recently. It is a world of difference and i would put my money on the pair of HIDs anyday over the Philips. They cost around the same anyway :D

plus, those philips crystal or diamond vision bulb only last 3 or 4 months (for me) and they not cheap too

applio
14-08-2008, 07:46 PM
That is bright .. :cool:
anyway ill put my high beam to halogen (my setup). coz hids need 5-10 seconds to charge up, if i want to flash my high beam suddenly(eg: “seek for a race”, lol), halogen can work instantly. Also the blue coat on the halogen lights can bring your car a blink blink look at daytime. Lol. :D
BTW, just letting you know, 4 HIDS kills my battery within one half year :( (I mostly drive at night 1h/day).

agree, HID for hi beam is not that useful,

but 1am on the motorway with all these on, fcuking awasome just like driving in daytime...