PDA

View Full Version : Workin My Lude

4PERVZ
02-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Hey just lookin for some advice... It looks like the lude is gonna be off the roads for 3 months... whilst its off the road i wanna really work the engine! just lookin for some advice on wat i should do to get some real performance out of it... I was contemplating re-building & turbo-charging it... Any suggestions would help!

Budget isnt a problem!

Thanx, Rick

4PERVZ
02-09-2004, 11:50 AM
By the way its a 95 Gen 4 VTIR!

Thanx

Jus-10
02-09-2004, 12:02 PM
HAHA...probably not a bad idea seeing as though me and my Jazz kept up with you ... I can understand why you wouldn't be happy with the performance. (I'm just stirring you man - but you remember that night on Victoria Road in Parra...the then stock white Jazz).

What sort of "performance" are you after? Straight line speed? Circuit? Do you want turbo or NA? Those are the usual sorts of questions you need to ask yourself before commiting to what could be a pretty serious project with budgets not being a problem.

4PERVZ
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
(I'm just stirring you man - but you remember that night on Victoria Road in Parra...the then stock white Jazz).

HAHA yea i remember that night... your car really suprised me! i've takin on so many good performance cars without a problem... your car just wouldnt let me go lol!

I want more power! So i'm either lookin at turbo chargin the lude or just buyin an S15... but after all the money i've put in the lude i dont wanna sell... so i'm just wonderin what i can do to get more overall performance out of my car!

Jus-10
03-09-2004, 08:36 AM
I guess you need to decide if it is worth spending more on the lude, or do you cut your losses and start with a more complete base. I guess lots of guys here are going to bag the S15 idea, but it will provide better bang for your buck IMO, get you in to a newer car, and you should have a bit better reliability from the S15 compared the turbo lude.

I guess you need to decide how much you love the lude when it's all said and done.

A'PEXi
03-09-2004, 11:37 AM
*chants* nissan.....

lol, depends if you want to spend even more money (than you already have) on the lude, and increase its performance - or get something thats different, power out of the box, and have even more power with a few simple upgrades :D

egSi
03-09-2004, 01:08 PM
hey man, why dont you try nice headers, tb, im and some cam gears and dyno it ;)

LUD02C
04-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Lets be serious here.
If you want speed buy a S15.
The amount of "bolt on" material for the SR20DET is amazing!

My advice with turbo's is, if it doesn't come from factory then don't turbo it.
Preludes are great cars, but not speed demons.

My advice go the S15

vtir22
04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I think stay NA for reliability reasons... Get some nice Japanese headers (RSR, 5zigen, Tannabe?) to free up the mid range, a cat back to free up the top end then get an ecu mod to tune it all up... I've heard wonderful stories about the Hondata s200.

But the BEST bang for your buck is a set of TEIN HA's. I found so much more confidence going into corners with them on my 4th gen vtir :)

LUD02C
04-09-2004, 03:07 PM
He says he wants REAL PERFORMANCE putting some nice headers, cams and exhaust isn't going to create that.

|N|
04-09-2004, 03:12 PM
i would say y not use the $ to get a faster car...

vtir22
04-09-2004, 05:13 PM
REAL performance has to be turbo does it?!

Have you ever seen the JUN BB4 prelude!?!? RANK!!

egSi
05-09-2004, 08:34 AM

Have you ever seen the JUN BB4 prelude!?!? RANK!!

yeah perfromance comes in many forms, not just the "psst" forms AND not only the "vtec" form.

i say spend some money on the h22...................

take me for a spin in the JUN BB4 prelude please vtir22 ;)

vtir22
05-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Yes and I don't dispute the performance of turbo engines. Although pricey, NA performance can be even more satisfying and importantly - controlable.

hmmmmmm JUN BB1 prelude (http://www.junauto.co.jp/democar/prelude/index.html?)

LUD02C
05-09-2004, 07:01 PM
Bringing the Jun prelude into this is just stupid.
Is he going to spend the same amount of money?
I don't think he is.

My point is, that if he is going to spend say between $5,000 to $10,000 on performance on his engine he is better of going for the S15 with some "bolt on" gear.

As for this comment

Originally Posted by vtir22

I never said real performance is a turbo, clearly for the money he wants to spend it is.

vtir22
05-09-2004, 09:15 PM
:confused:

vtir22
05-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Bringing the Jun prelude into this is just stupid.
Is he going to spend the same amount of money?
I don't think he is.

My point is, that if he is going to spend say between $5,000 to $10,000 on performance on his engine he is better of going for the S15 with some "bolt on" gear.

As for this comment

I never said real performance is a turbo, clearly for the money he wants to spend it is.

Stupid?!? CHILL DUDE. Did you forget to read this?

Budget isnt a problem!

Or am I just $#@%* blind :?:

egSi
06-09-2004, 07:29 AM
yeah i dont like ludes but ill have one lemon thanks!!!

CHU85
06-09-2004, 03:46 PM
if u want a fast car then just buy one.
Trust me its not worth the time and hassle and in the end it doesn't work right. Too many hassles i reakon.

4PERVZ
06-09-2004, 03:51 PM
thanx for the help guys... I'm gettin some quotes done at the moment to turbo charge it... from wat i've been told there is no point in spending the money and keepin it N/A....

LUDO2C: All the places i have been to agree with u that i should just get the S15... But i'll miss my lude to much :D

Vtir22: How much do u think they spent on the JUN lude??

LUD02C
06-09-2004, 04:28 PM
4PERVZ: I know you'll miss the Lud, mines for sale and i'm sad about it but you got to look to the future.
The Prelude is a great learning car, but not that powerful...
Turbocharging it will cause alot of trouble and alot of work etc.
Plus you don't get the best performance out of them (from what i have read on American Prelude forums)

Trust me, JUN have spent a stupid amount of money on the Prelude.
Remember, they don't pay for anything, and the amount that Vtir22 is going to say doesn't include labour or nothing, just parts.

S15 is your best choice.

vtir22
06-09-2004, 06:30 PM
I personally advise against turbo charging it. Never like the idea of turbo'ing a car designed from the factory as NA (as someone else has mentioned).

You have to deal with all the issues with Heat, Extra stress on the block (reliability) and most importantly the extra torque you'd be forcing through the front wheels.. Just won't be a very 'complete' package in the end for the immense outlay to do it properly. Probably do well at the drags though. Might be worth visiting some of the prelude American forums... they've done plenty of turbo and supercharging on the H22a over there.

And yes going NA won't be cheap either. I don't know the $$$ figure for the JUN lemon BB1, as I haven't built one myself :(. But I'm just pointing out how sweet you can get a NA H22a to be. You can probably add up the price of all the parts on the JUN web page. 10-15k on the engine maybe?! that's my guess. They do have their own factory so it's obviously MUCH cheaper and easier for them than it is for you :( . Makes me think though, Is it really that much more $$ than a proper turbo conversion :confused:

Either way, modifying ANY car is a BAD investment. you'll be lucky to get 50% of the outlay back. So lay out all the sums and decide what you really want to achieve. If you're leaning towards turbo, I'd agree with everyone else, get a turbo car and improve that. At least the block was designed for it.

Not to open a whole new can of worms, but why is the s15 the best choice? My friend who has a S15 (his brother has a 03 WRX) couldn't believe how much better the WRX was, especially powering out of corners and also the stability in corners.

4PERVZ
07-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Hey everyone...

After doing some researching and getting quotes for the car i've finally made my decision... it was a very hard decision to make!!

I'm......... Selling the prelude :( Goin for an S15

I'm gonna miss it... If anybodys interested let me know or if anyone needs any parts i've got a whole list of extras!

Thanx again for the help... Rick

blahblah
28-12-2004, 06:34 PM
good choice

Da_Lude
28-12-2004, 07:11 PM
If your S15 is built correctly you should have no problems or regrets...just smiles

LUD02C
28-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Once you get the S15, you will soon see it was an easy choice!
The Prelude's have nothing on the Silvias!

Tessai
29-12-2004, 06:07 AM
Only the S15. stock for stock a 5th gen prelude with LSD will outhandle S13 and S14 with LSDs.

Ozwolfbane
29-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Nitrous the sucka like i will in abt 6 months

mbilic
01-01-2005, 03:18 PM
just buy a car that came out factory with a turbo....

toE
01-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Better late than neva.

I'd have said the S15 as well, if it was me. :)
So, great minds think alike aye? :p

Gd luck in your decision. :)

91'lude
09-01-2005, 01:07 PM
Once you get the S15, you will soon see it was an easy choice!
The Prelude's have nothing on the Silvias!
ya, rite, thats why the 3rd gen prelude will kill a s13/180sx through the bends, and unless they have a turbo, in the streight line aswell..

S15's are great cars, but they lack the style, and handleing of a tunned prelude, but nothing will beet the streight line power they put out for that size engine.

Just do something about those factory rear lights, that aint altezza's.

How much are s15's worth these days? Mid to high 20's at the cheapest id guess.

LUD02C
09-01-2005, 03:30 PM
ya, rite, thats why the 3rd gen prelude will kill a s13/180sx through the bends, and unless they have a turbo, in the streight line aswell..When i had my Prelude i killed a R32 GTR, Satria GTi, modded 180SX and a VTi-R Prelude going up Bells line of Road...

Point here, anything can "kill" something, but it comes to the drivers ability!
I could drive the Prelude and knew its limits as well as knowing the road.

If i was in a 180SX i'm sure i could leave the Prelude behind me!

***The incident of me racing the cars above was on a forum cruise (not ozhonda, and now those forumers hate me because of their defeat. I got beaten by a 405 Mi16 that night :( ***

91'lude
09-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Was it a boost cruising cruise, yeah you looked experience, u use to take your car to track days, iv got pics actually.

DId you crash it, or sell it?

Whats "Car: 2.0 HVT POWER!!!" that?

zco
09-01-2005, 04:02 PM
get a TYPE S badge. makes your car go faster ;) hahha

LUD02C
10-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Was it a boost cruising cruise, yeah you looked experience, u use to take your car to track days, iv got pics actually.

DId you crash it, or sell it?

Whats "Car: 2.0 HVT POWER!!!" that?It wasn't a boost cruising cruise!
Well, the split pin dropped and the crown nut threaded the ball joint and my whole front end collapsed which bent guards and creased the engine bay :(
It was a sad sight man!

I got the mechanics who were at fault to fix it up and after that it drove like Nikki with 20b Turbo! Just shit...

I got a 2004 Hyundai Elantra now, it has the 2.0 HVT (there version of V-TEC) thats my round around car!
Otherwise i got a 1984 Mazda 323 Panelvan with a 12a EFI in it, might turbo it

Which pics of me do you have and which track?
Post them if you can, that'd be sweet...
I lost a whole bunch due to HDD problems :o

91'lude
10-01-2005, 08:29 PM
http://img124.exs.cx/img124/9089/gen3lude4wj.jpg
http://img124.exs.cx/img124/2836/gen329xy.jpg
http://img124.exs.cx/img124/7905/whitewheels9ft.jpg

There ya go... she was a hot one, one of the original preludes that inspired me to get a gen 3 prelude...

I remember when ur wheel fell of actually, was a mess... Why would you turbo a van *or was that a joke?*...

I bet that hyundai would outperform the prelude too....

LUD02C
10-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Dude, thanks heaps for those pictures I lost all of them!
Its a panelvan not a van, only 2 seats and weighs 850kgs :D

91'lude
11-01-2005, 12:40 PM
LOL... should be.... yeah. go the van :P

Grimace
28-03-2005, 10:42 PM
hey
Just going though the same thing at the moment, with my 92 lude
i dropped a bearing in the F22a, got a told off my mechcanic that will be 3495 to rebuild my old motor
F that as it will cheaper to get a front cut and swap them, which i am doing atm

Thing is on h22a is a open deck block, so you cant run big boost like 8 pound max,
unless you sleeve the block and then ya can run good psi

the jun cam kits will be about 3g landed, and they only have stage 2
crower and some other US companys will do stage 3 racing cams
they look good and the non vtec lobe is still close to stock but the vtec on is alot bigger
probly would seg to put mircotech in
im have got mine and will make any more mods i do to the engine more worth while
would seg to talk to CRD or online performance (jim and denni know their sh@T)

i have done alot of pricing so i ya want can send ya some of it

My car should be back in time to race at compact attack......well hopefully

Flash_Gordon
30-03-2005, 03:21 PM
S15 is hot, go spec R :P i rekon that ova a gen4

4PERVZ
30-03-2005, 06:08 PM
S15 is hot, go spec R :P i rekon that ova a gen4

I've done exactly that... after doin all the running around and getting quotes and lookin at all different solutions.... I have sold the Honda :( and have bought a S15 Spec R...

Hopefully u will still count me as part of OZHONDA because i'm truley a honda boy hehe :D

Next car after S15 i'm hopin NSX :D :D :D

Thanx for all da help, Rick

Flash_Gordon
30-03-2005, 06:16 PM
awesome, and you is still honda :D, post pics of new car ??

91'lude
30-03-2005, 06:34 PM
Everyone one day wants the true performance honda's... S2000 and NSX.

vtecprelly
06-04-2009, 12:15 PM
the amount u spend on buying an s15 could be put into performance on the lude... there still pretty expensive. sexy cars tho..

the real question is...what car do u want more?