PDA

View Full Version : Removing front Hub on Civic

Danigirl82
21-03-2008, 08:38 AM
Does anyone know how you go about removing the front hub on a Honda Civic 1996 model. It seems almost impossible the thing will not budge, you cannot knock the studs out the back and it just will not come off from the front, even though we have undone the large nut that holds the axle and we have taken the disc and caliber. Please help!

Has anyone ever had to do this or does anyone know how you take it off??

Riviera
22-03-2008, 08:31 PM
pictures would be of a great assistance :thumbsup:

im assuming its never been removed and is just really sealed on there, basically the rotor with its protruding center part where
the studs are, has the bearing inside it u can push the axle back through and be left with the rotor wraped around the bearing
, they are very very hard to remove, you may need a shock puller, or ghetto sumthing up
like a bar with plates and either end and around the bar a cylindrical weight of some kind
to use the weight to act like a hammer

Riviera
22-03-2008, 08:40 PM
also this thread needs moving

below 2001

if its for your 96 VTi-R civic

denot
23-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Move the thread plox

backdog
23-03-2008, 09:06 AM
You need to remove the entire upright from the car, which means separating the lower control arm ball joint and the upper control arm as well. Then once you have tha assembly in your hands support the upright and you can hit the hub out with a drift and hammer from behind, or press it out with hydraulic press. Remove the large circlip at the rear that supports the wheel bearing, wheel bearing needs to be pressed out and should be replaced.
Why are you taking hub apart??

teh_mechanic
23-03-2008, 12:04 PM
dont mean to be rude but it sounds like your a bit in over your head.

you need a workshop press to do it properly
are you taking it off to change the wheel bearing or something?
if i were you i would take the whole arm out of the car then take it to a workshop and let them do the pressing work,give you the arm back and you put it in....then it will be done right and you still save a bit on labour

Sexc86
23-03-2008, 07:20 PM
agreed...

Best bet remove your complete front knuckle. You will need your hub Pressed out and most like you will need new Wheel bearings (genunine around $180 each side... Aftermarket around $90 each side) so make sure why your doing it is very important.

Why do you need to remove your hub?

ECU-MAN
24-03-2008, 05:15 PM
you dont have to replace the bearing

Danigirl82
27-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi there thanks for your input but its actually a little more complicated than that. Due to the fact it is a front wheel drive the entire arm had to be taken off. This is quite different when dealing with rear wheel drive cars as you can just hammer out the studs out the back of the disc.

Danigirl82
27-03-2008, 12:43 PM
the wheel stud snapped off

Danigirl82
27-03-2008, 12:44 PM
yeah we actually ended up taking the arm off. my dad took it off himself and took it to my uncle to get pressed