PDA

View Full Version : civic Questions

Nath
22-03-2008, 03:13 PM
hi guys. names Nathan, just joined, but have been reading up on articles for a few days after i found a stunning example of a EK (i think) civic sedan on carsales, ata great price)

problem is it is an autO D16YA GLi trim level.

now i HAVE searched, here, google, boostcruising, and wikipedia for as much info, but honda is just so damn confusing. i come from a long line of corollas and 4AGE's, and now i wanna get into VTEC lol.

i want to drop a Bseries VTEC motor into this GLi i have my eye on, obviously with a manual box attathced. as far as i searched, everyone says sell it and buy a manual one, not a problem for me, as i havnt bought it yet :P but it looks stunning (retrimmed, kitted, coilovers huge stereo etc.) with only 71kms on it.

im an apprentice mechanic, and motor swaps are no problem for me. im mroe worried about the manual conversion parts. obviously i would be getting a half cut but still a bit weary as to how hard it wil be.

also, i am still a bit confused as too all the different models of civics and B series motors. but i know so far i want either a B16A or B18C.

keeping in mind i wil be getting a half cut either way, which would be better for a street driven car with some power. (im used to 6ltr commos so its gotta be wuick :P)

which model would i idealy get these motors from?

im gunna keep searching, but would still like some help. sorry for the long winded post :P

Cheers
Nathan

edit: this should probably be in the n00b forum now that i look :P)

Red_EG4
22-03-2008, 03:51 PM
well going from those torque filled 6 litres to 1.6 or 1.8 litres is definately going to be a task.
I think given your two options B16 and B18 you would have to go for the B18. It really depends on your budget. Personally I don't think you should have too much problems with the manual conversion, it's all about weighing up the pro's and con's. You say the car has plenty done to it so that will save you more money for the conversion.
Just wait and til the experts get in here, you will know all you need to know.
Good Luck :thumbsup:

Nath
22-03-2008, 03:54 PM
http://www.uniquecarsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!unique_content.enquiry?current_rec=2&page_number=1&vehicle_id=5053597&total_rec=59&sort_type=1&keywords=civic&photo_flag=1

thats the civ i have my eye on. seems like a bloody decent price for the work that has been done, compared to others i have seen around

magicmike
22-03-2008, 03:54 PM
For the manual conversion you would need ECU, shift linkage, gearbox, clutch and master cylinder, pedals, which would set you back roughly 1-2K (including labour and depending on how cheap you can source out parts

The b16a comes from honda's civic/crx range, more commonly taken from the ek4/em1, quite easy to source out, just check out the traders section.

The b18c variants come from honda's integra range
b18c2 = integra vtir
b18c7 = audm integra type r
b18c = jdm sir or integra type r

I'd save up for the b18cr from the jdm integra type r if you want some power. And i'm sure there are heaps of these in the traders section as well

Nath
22-03-2008, 05:25 PM
im also looking at an 03 model integra type R with a 2l

http://www.uniquecarsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!unique_content.enquiry?current_rec=3&page_number=1&vehicle_id=4485594&total_rec=158&sort_type=1&keywords=integra&photo_flag=1

assuming it would set me back around 7k for a B18C half cut and install into the other civic i posted, for the extra 6or so grand, woudl it be worth my while getting the ITR with less hassles,les ****ign around, less cop trouble etc.?

are they even any good?

55EXX
22-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Up for sale is my Honda Civic sedan.....

thats where i stopped reading.

that integra on the other hand is sweet as! change the wheels to something more race spec and you have a very respectable car! integra wins that hands down! integra man! do it!

that way you have a very capable base to build from both performance and style whereas the 4 door will always be a 4 door. 4 doors for nannas. its like seeing a 4 door skyline. just a japanese commodore. average. monaro. its a different level. new level of respect and performance. 2 doors. sports cars are made with 2 doors. no matter what you do to that 4 door it'll always be a 4 door and not really seen as a sports car. my 2c. people will see it and like what you've done to it tho.

here are some engine specs for the k20's in these tegs

Displacement: 1998 cc
Compression: 11.5:1
Power: 211 bhp (220 PS, 162 kW) @ 8000 rpm
Torque: 132 ft·lbf (206 N·m) @ 7000 rpm
Redline: 8700 rpm
VTEC Engagement: 5600rpm

got revs?

Nath
22-03-2008, 06:06 PM
i have learnt hte hard way that speed is bad, i mainly want a nice car to cruis around in with mates, with a bit of power to back it up

but the motor wont be stock. plus the sedan is only 14K with less kms. les assume a B18C half cut is around 7K, plus 500 for misc. items when installing/removing fro mhalf cut.

99.9% of hte work will be done at home with myself and a few boys from work (being a mechanic)

so we are only up to about 21k assuming i pay 14 for the car. for something that in my eyes, looks better. goes similarly well, and would be a perfect cruiser that can hold its own on teh strip and shows.

the more cars i look at and think about, the more i get drawn back to the civic

Nath
22-03-2008, 06:10 PM
oh and also, how much more hassle is it installing a B18C into this EK civic, over a B16. as i found a B16 half cut EK civic for 3500, but B18 being out of an integra, would it need more custom work, along with new pedal box etc.? (to convert to manual)

Red_EG4
22-03-2008, 09:34 PM
The B18 is out of the DC platform. The EG and the DC platform are very similar. Both the B16 and B18 mount similarly into the EG platform.

55EXX
22-03-2008, 09:35 PM
that civic sounds more for you and your cruising style. i has had 1000's already spent on it saving your pocket if you were to do it later. it sounds to me like you want the civic. your choice man. can't say no to 1000's of dollars a free stuff installed. to me that car is a absolute bargain.

hunt down a turbo converted b16. b18c 7k or b16 ~3k turbo it ~4k = 7k + more power and the showy front mount and blow off valve

Nath
22-03-2008, 09:51 PM
lol thanks for the help guys.

as for turbo... i lost my licence.. and am only on my red P's so im restricted thats another reason behind my VTEC choice. i had plans (and parts) to build a nuts N/A rolla weapn, but not as much potential or aftermarket support as honda. so teh choice seems obvious.

im gunna go have a drive of this civic. i can put up with an auto for a while untill i get a halfy, and do some more research.

if i get a DC B18CR half ****, will the pedal box and master cylinder and all the associated manual ocnversion gear swap straight in?