PDA

View Full Version : COILOVERS or springs?

nny911
23-03-2008, 12:15 PM
looking for coilovers for my fd civic

does anyone know any good brands
and where to get them?

not too expensive but not too cheap as in quality wise.

or is it a better idea to just get springs thanks.

sKy.xD
23-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Yeh i was thinking the same thing ... coilover or springs :S.

rawr
23-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I was taught coilovers are essentially a good spring + shock combination

Just the coils and shocks are made for each other so they are put together

It might help to ask what you want to achieve. i.e. just height? do you mind having a rough ride? etc etc

cupu-80
23-03-2008, 12:52 PM
me too was thinking....was thinking of getting Tein S springs.

Nepolian
23-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Depends on whether you're gonna track it, want it lower later on or just set and forget.

Tein super streets are very good street coil overs or just Tein or spoon srings are very good. Spoon one are quite firm and should be good with sock shocks as they dont go too low!

CB7_OWNER
23-03-2008, 01:15 PM
if you got the money go complete coilover system, best street performance for best/closest to stock comfortability.

Getting just spings and just wacking it on your stock shocks, arnt usually recommended at all..because stock shocks cant handle the spring rate that aftermarket springs have, well they can handle it.. just a matter of time before they blow.

OR you can opt for a spring+shock combo , e.g. ( get sm yellow koni shocks, and pick and springs on the market you want. cause koni shocks are good and have adjustable rate.)

marc-o-lishuz
23-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Wait for the KONI Yellows for the FG2/FD. They're currently under development and should be out in April. KONI and RedShift are collaborating on this project to achieve good DD performance and occasional track/auto-x. They're using VW Golf front shocks and Mitsubishi Eclipse rear shocks for this setup.

n6290884
23-03-2008, 03:35 PM
What if i was wanting real tough suspension for high speed corner? i wanna avoid coilovers coz i dun wanna wreck my car. what springs do u guys recommend?

FallenAngel
23-03-2008, 03:40 PM
What if i was wanting real tough suspension for high speed corner? i wanna avoid coilovers coz i dun wanna wreck my car. what springs do u guys recommend?

What do u mean by "wreck your car"...?

If ur looking for good suspension for high speed cornering (tracking) then Coilovers are the best option for u

mugenfd
23-03-2008, 04:23 PM
rekon in the long run coilovers will be more practical in the sense that it will provide you with more choices than lowered springs

choices in ride height in case you intend to chage from 17 to 20" wheels or vice versa.

intending to cruise to unfamiliar roads, you can adjust the height into a more higher setting for ground clearance.

getting more passangers will put stress on the struts and adjustment of the stiffness is another choice.
too many variables to consider.too many advantages.

only thing that would be a disadvange is the price which most of them is too expensive.

but in the other hand how much is" expensive".there are many big companies that make coilovers that is cheap and be reliable. like the skunk 2 pro S (AU$ 900 to 1100 shipped).this coilover has adjustable hieght but not adjustable damper. tein basic is another big company that makes coilover for the FD1.adjustable height and damper (au$1100 to1300) ETC ETC

at the end of the day.i belive that coilovers are the best bang for the buck suspension upgrade.

rawr
23-03-2008, 04:46 PM
a GOOD shock + spring combo is only a few hundred difference between a decent set of coils

Coils are worth it

Nepolian
23-03-2008, 04:50 PM
a GOOD shock + spring combo is only a few hundred difference between a decent set of coils

Coils are worth it

:thumbsup:

Yep, may aswell if you're gonna spend the $$$.

aaronng
23-03-2008, 05:31 PM
How much are you lowering by? If by 1-1.5", then springs. If you plan to go lower, it can reduce your OEM shock life, so you have to get either lowered shocks or go coils.

Eventhough ppl say go for coils only if you are tracking, I disagree. Coils like Tein SS are actually too soft for track and are actually better for street and more comfortable than a silly superlow King spring + OEM shock combo.

In the end, ask your self how much you want to spend. Put a number to your budget (including alignment, camber kits and installation costs). Then you can see what options you have. I'd go for Tein SS + camber kit if it was for street.

aaronng
23-03-2008, 05:32 PM

What do you mean? How would you wreck your car with coilovers?

n6290884
24-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Tru, yeah you guys are right. but where will i be able to find the Skunk2 Pro S? and at that price? thats pretty cheap for coilovers.

n6290884
24-03-2008, 01:08 AM
What do you mean? How would you wreck your car with coilovers?

My friend has an FTO with coilovers and his car is now starting to "fall apart". screws are coming loose coz the coilovers are too hard. dun want the car to become like that coz will be driving it for a while :P

aaronng
24-03-2008, 07:08 AM
My friend has an FTO with coilovers and his car is now starting to "fall apart". screws are coming loose coz the coilovers are too hard. dun want the car to become like that coz will be driving it for a while :P

Get street coilovers like Tein SS. That won't cause the screws to fall apart. I have Tein Flex and it's not falling apart either. I think it's more a build quality issue than a vibration issue. Anyway, new Civics are held together by clips, not screws, so they won't unscrew themselves (but will rattle more)

denot
24-03-2008, 11:39 AM
my mate has an euro and change the spring only. after a year, you can see the car actually get "lower" :(

aaronng
24-03-2008, 11:59 AM
my mate has an euro and change the spring only. after a year, you can see the car actually get "lower" :(

That's because springs settle. When you first put them in, it is not the true ride height. Same thing happens with new coils.

Nepolian
24-03-2008, 12:24 PM

Thats along time looking at a car :p

Shimian
24-03-2008, 01:01 PM
That's because springs settle. When you first put them in, it is not the true ride height. Same thing happens with new coils.

What is the time frame before it sets on true height? And usually around how much? I know its kinda like a how long is a piece of string question, but just dont want to lower it to a level then later find it settling at true level then seeing sparks as im driving

dannybubu
24-03-2008, 06:07 PM
anyone tried buddyclub N+ dampeners? i was thinking of putting them in...and also do you have to get a camber kit when changing coilovers?

aaronng
24-03-2008, 08:33 PM
What is the time frame before it sets on true height? And usually around how much? I know its kinda like a how long is a piece of string question, but just dont want to lower it to a level then later find it settling at true level then seeing sparks as im driving
Usually a few months. Depends on whether you load your car with a full load or drive empty.

Shimian
24-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Most of the time i drive by myself or with my gf. 25% of the time with people at the back. I dont load anything else maybe general shopping. Maybe just lower it to legal limit and let the drop lower it a bit more???

nny911
25-03-2008, 01:13 AM
i was looking at the skunk2 pro s and i found some on ebay.

would the civic si coilovers fit on my fd?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260223285592&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:us

or should i search for acura csx

and if not does anyone know of where to get them

thanks!

nny911
26-03-2008, 06:03 PM
bump:p

myfd1
27-03-2008, 06:04 PM
ill go for coilovers coz ull have better cornering.

enkay
27-03-2008, 09:07 PM
i dunt think the si suspension fits on your model nick lol it might but doubt it
but just look for the JDM brands since they actually got the same civic model lol like tein n stuff lol

mugenfd
28-03-2008, 12:18 AM
skunk 2 pro s US 4door civic will fit FD1/FD2. as per skunk2.