PDA

View Full Version : dc2r koyo 53mm aluminium radiator!!

dslt
23-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Hey guys, Planning on replacing my radiator, was looking into Koyo radiators. Just wondering if a 53mm Koyo Radiator would be worth getting or just get any aluminium Radiator? Has anyone experienced koyo rads before is it just a aluminium radiator with koyo printed into them. Or is there another brand that i could use.
Any opinions would be appreciated..

And yes i use vtec quite abit =)

cheers guys

DLO01
23-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Depends on what price you can get it for? Why is the stock one good enough. Do you track your car? If you don't then the stock one is fine. Either way I spose it is a good upgrade.

Other brands besides Koyo are Pwr, Fluidyne and you can get other cheaper brands. I'd stick with the top 3 brands.

They all make their own radiators and all are slight variations on dimensions, look etc. Koyos look the smartest out of the lot.

dslt
23-03-2008, 09:13 PM
all these aluminium radiators look the same to me, just diff names being imprinted and $$ difference =)

Yeah just want one for the bling factor! lolz

DLO01
23-03-2008, 10:02 PM
They are all different in their own way.

If you want bling. You can't go past the Koyo replacement. :cool:

Spunkymonkey
24-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Just keep in mind that a lot of these aftermarket radiators are thicker than the stock radiator, so you may need to run slim fans, or just use one fan instead. There might be clearance problems if your running aftermarket headers.

ricki_kalsi
25-03-2008, 03:12 PM
I swear this topic has been covered alot?!

Koyo radiator's are fine... I use one. They are light and cool well when moving. However, when in stand still traffic they heat up more than stock ones.

For the street, the OEM DC2R radiator is suffcient. Just use lower temp thermostat and thermoswitch if you wish to run lower temperatures!

DLO01
25-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Just use lower temp thermostat and thermoswitch if you wish to run lower temperatures!

Just don't do it with a stock ecu for street use. Your temps will never get up to opperating temp and ecu will always see it in cold start up mode.

Much better option to get better radiator over low temp stuff.

ricki_kalsi
25-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Just don't do it with a stock ecu for street use. Your temps will never get up to opperating temp and ecu will always see it in cold start up mode.

True true.. forgot about that... I did ECU with the cooling things. So that's why I didn't think about that :)

DLO01
26-03-2008, 06:58 AM
Yep, yep, me too. ;)

ricki_kalsi
26-03-2008, 08:23 AM
This is why the Bel S2K runs weirdly

dynosaur
26-03-2008, 11:56 AM

what happen if I got an spoon ecu ?

can put the low thep thermostat or not ?

ricki_kalsi
26-03-2008, 12:20 PM
what happen if I got an spoon ecu ?

can put the low thep thermostat or not ?

Should be able to, if the Spoon ECU is for N1 Racing.

N1 race class only allows for you to change the Thermostat and Thermoswitch - stock radiator has to be used - unless rules have changed recently.

So it should be fine IMO.

Why run a Spoon ECU though?? I would run Mugen rather, or just a Power FC, as our fuel is shitter than that in JDM land.

dynosaur
26-03-2008, 12:55 PM
Mugen no a/c

Power FC too $$$

:p

fatboyz39
26-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Mugen no a/c

Power FC too $$$

:p

keep it stock tight arse.

string
28-03-2008, 02:36 PM
I'd like to know the real difference in construction and performance between these expensive brand name radiators and ebay knock offs. I've been running a half-size ebay radiator for the past 6 months now, and even during hot summer days in traffic the needle never moves with a single 12" slim fan (not that it's relevent). They all 'look' the same, and you'll have a hard time convincing me that the same material and same composition will conduct heat differently - so what are the subtle differences?

DLO01
28-03-2008, 06:44 PM
For me, personal preference. Sure they might perform the same or simular. And yes they may have same or simular lifespan. I personally by default go with a more expensive proven brand name over any other alternative. And I personally stay away from Ebay all together. But that is me an my own beliefs. No 2 brand alloy radiators will look the same unless they are made in the same place. And I don't want to try to 'convince' you. You seem to do that yourself. No offence String. :p

dslt
30-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Im with String, I tend to buy a few things on ebay. I am pretty hard to convince that the more expensive things are better than the cheaper ebay stuff. I think these radiators are manufactured from same factory but just distributed to individual companies to get labelled.

But anyways back to the topic. Is there much difference between a stock radiator and the koyo?

cheers!

DLO01
30-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Well both the stock DC2R radiator and Koyo are aluminium. The major difference is the koyo is much thicker, will hold more water, will cool better, will hold temps much better. And the Koyo bling is :thumbsup: