PDA

View Full Version : best headers + exhaust for k20a

SuperSteve
24-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey guys i got a jdm ep3 and looking to getting the best exhaust and extractors to go with my gruppe m intake that will give me the most kw gains. Money not a issue. What do you guys reckon

Thanks in advance :)

Nepolian
24-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Engine work?

If not, Toda FTW!

If so, something bigger from the states!

Everyone has different opinions on what they recommend based on their experience. Eg, Buddy club people will always say Buddy club and Toda people will always say Toda.

Everyone is right but it's up to you to decide :)

m0nty ITR
24-03-2008, 07:52 AM
For street without internal mods I'd say TODA headers with Fujitsubo Power Getter.

If you plan to mod the internals I'd say SSR headers and a 70mm titanium exhaust like Mugen N1 or J's Racing 70RR. These systems will be seriously loud though.

Benson
24-03-2008, 08:04 AM
If money isnt an issue go with the DTR/SSR headers from America. They make headers to suit what mods you have even for a stock motor.

In terms of exhaust, get a custom one with high flow cat, good flowing muffler and one resonator and 3inch piping!

fatboyz39
24-03-2008, 08:41 AM
For street without internal mods I'd say TODA headers with Fujitsubo Power Getter.

If you plan to mod the internals I'd say SSR headers and a 70mm titanium exhaust like Mugen N1 or J's Racing 70RR. These systems will be seriously loud though.

AGREEE^^^^^

SuperSteve
24-03-2008, 07:47 PM
yeah i was considering a j's racing 70RR but was also wondering about a spoon n1 exhaust. Would they b roughly the same pwr gains ?

Mattski_VTIR
24-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Hey guys i got a jdm ep3 and looking to getting the best exhaust and extractors to go with my gruppe m intake that will give me the most kw gains. Money not a issue. What do you guys reckon

Thanks in advance :)

Are you worried about how loud the exhaust will be? or just looking for all out power?

Nepolian
24-03-2008, 08:28 PM
The J's racing stuff was designed for the track as for many of the mufflers on the maeket!

With the J's 70mm and the like, I'm sure its not something you can sneek home in :)

Kidnkorner
25-03-2008, 05:18 PM
If money isnt an issue go with the DTR/SSR headers from America. They make headers to suit what mods you have even for a stock motor.

X2 also hytechexhaust.com is simply bad ass!!

The top brands making the most power for exhaust manifolds in the States are

SSR
HyTech
SMSP

These companies run circles around the likes of Toda. But if you like the name, by all means pick up their product.

We also have the other brands you guys have mentioned.

SuperSteve
25-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Are you worried about how loud the exhaust will be? or just looking for all out power?

im mainly look out for power. I know with most exhausts with type r's low revs u cant really hear it until u get mid range and vtec range. I granny drive day to day so noise levels shouldnt b that through the roof but i dont mind a lil bit of noise hehe

joek
25-03-2008, 09:53 PM
toda extractor + exhaust. U wont regret. They are pretty well priced when my friend's ep3 got it... around 2k for the package and they sounds really nice when u drive hard. Plenty of power gain. The thing is, u got to like the style of the exhaust tip which points downwards.
Joe

curik
25-03-2008, 11:44 PM
+1. Toda extractor gives the best gain AFAIK. With exhaust almost any catback give a similar gain. Also get high comp gasket, forged pistons and cams from TODA. http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79595

Those will seriously turn your car into a rocket

Limbo
26-03-2008, 12:43 PM
WHere money is no issue TODA for sure.
I just wish i had more money to spend on the car!

STOCK
26-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Toda FTW

dc2r_fAn
26-03-2008, 01:46 PM
No Frills From Kmart best for money and 50kw boost :D

SeverAMV
26-03-2008, 02:31 PM
X2 also hytechexhaust.com is simply bad ass!!

The top brands making the most power for exhaust manifolds in the States are

SSR
HyTech
SMSP

These companies run circles around the likes of Toda. But if you like the name, by all means pick up their product.

We also have the other brands you guys have mentioned.

hytech arent really anything special, they just copy other companies. if you want something good, get the new bisimoto extractors. their design is irregular, but the longer primaries (about 35+ inches) will give you more power throughout the entire revrange, moreso than a 4-2-1 header. but if all you want is a high power figure, get a tri-y. 4-1 extractors with extra long primaries are better if you're after real world performance.

Kidnkorner
26-03-2008, 04:06 PM
they just copy other companies.

That has to be the biggest laugh I have ever had! Do you have any proof of that or do you like to spread erroneous information and slander companies as you please? Even if that were remotely true why would a copy be so expensive, and why would their headers be producing among the most power out of all the units available on the market? The only product I know of that might be considered a copy would be thier twin loop muffler. Google Hytech and the word copy or copied and you will find it the other way around. Also I dont think major racers or companies like Skunk2 or AEM's Steph Papadakis would be using knock off product.

:thumbdwn:

Chi
26-03-2008, 05:32 PM
SSR headers are what I would recommend for DC5R.

They are the best rated headers you can get and are made to order not made in bulk like TODA, BC etc.

Also have been Dyno proven to output more than TODA.

Benson
26-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Too many JDM fanboys on this forum... they need to step out the circle and look at other known brand in the international scene like SSR, SMSP, Hytech and etc..

SeverAMV
26-03-2008, 06:45 PM
look around on the forums where their old engineers lurk, they dont design anything different, they just copy the best bits from other designs. not saying theyre crap, they just copy other designs and integrate them into one product. plus, extractors that produce the most power dont necessarily lead to a faster car, theres a lot more physics involved, and same length primaries dont quite take advantage of the physics involved. look around if you dont get what i mean. theres an NA s2000 that makes less power than j racing's supercharged s2000, but still performs better on the track and in straight line acceleration.

and asking why their copy would be so expensive is like asking why people pay more for gucci and armani suits, you pay for the name and partially the product.

their k20a headers are very basic in design with only a few if any antireversion steps, but to make the most power from a setup, you'll need 35+ inches of primary piping at least, which is something that only bisimoto seems to do.

curik
26-03-2008, 08:13 PM
Too many JDM fanboys on this forum... they need to step out the circle and look at other known brand in the international scene like SSR, SMSP, Hytech and etc..

It'll be quite hard to get things from overseas especially bulky items such as a header. And also you may get taxed for such things, not to mention the surcharge for shipping and any sort of hassles. TODA AU is a reputable trader and it has the header in stock ready for delivery.

After all Honda looks more bling with JDM products. You don't see M3's or porsches put JDM wheels on even though they are superior do you?

VTi_b0i
26-03-2008, 08:16 PM
lets get some pics, prices and dyno graphs up :)

xtercii
26-03-2008, 09:06 PM
It'll be quite hard to get things from overseas especially bulky items such as a header. And also you may get taxed for such things, not to mention the surcharge for shipping and any sort of hassles. TODA AU is a reputable trader and it has the header in stock ready for delivery.

After all Honda looks more bling with JDM products. You don't see M3's or porsches put JDM wheels on even though they are superior do you?

it's not that hard, u tell them what u want and place an order that includes the shipping...maybe the wait is a bit longer but the whole process is simple as. And u won't get taxed if u say the value is under 1000bux...

Nepolian
26-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Ha ha SuperSteve, you've started another header debate :D

Hey lets have a dyno day at Toda to compare headers! ;) ;)

-Joking-

SuperSteve
26-03-2008, 10:06 PM
hahaha ill meet u there Nepolian ;) take me 5 minutes to get there GOGOGO ! !

Hmmm so looks like that JDM parts arent the way to go for maximum pwr. Hey guys im thinking more of going JDM parts but i will also consider other brands. But just a question. How would a fujitsubo exhaust + toda headers go on k20a ?? or should i just go toda headers to toda exhaust ??

Also with fujitsubo which one is better RM-01A or Power Getter ??

curik
26-03-2008, 10:29 PM
BTW I saw a lot EP3 type Rs have projector headlights here. Why doesn't yours?

SuperSteve
26-03-2008, 10:34 PM
hehehe because i have the series 1, the pre facelifted version. I can get the projector ones installed but the headlights cost a bit. Might get them later on down the track after i get a few mods installed. The projector headlights look pretty awesome i must say

Nepolian
27-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Youll find that majority of EP3R's in Aus are pre facelifts due to cost.

Steve - I reckon most JDM cat back produce much the same output, give or take a few kw here and there. IMO, your decision should be based on which one you like most :)

Benson
27-03-2008, 07:37 AM

It's not hard to get headers from overseas. You email or PM the person, tell them what you want with a shipping quote(usually $75US). ITs not bulky, comes in 2 pieces...

You wont get taxed if the seller value the headers for less than 1000AUS, which they can do when you purchase them. Sellers are always there to help you out.

uknowsergio
27-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I would go buddyclub club exhaust and header all the way...

since those buddyclub header has been dyno proved good power gain all over the world..

I would buy this package in the near future....

Limbo
27-03-2008, 02:56 PM
just rem that your looking at gains through the whole rev range and not just peak power. Also i wouldn't get buddy club if your gonna drive on the street alot its so Bloody loud!

VTi_b0i
27-03-2008, 03:00 PM
^^ agreed

Mattski_VTIR
27-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I was very happy with the gains through the rev range on the K20 with I/H/E kpro! When u do decide on an exhaust system i recommend getting a tune, really brings the mods together! Very nice car to drive now

free2d
27-03-2008, 08:00 PM
How about the whole system J's Racing? I like it bcos the mid pipe do not have the 2 resonators.

I am using 5Zigen ProRacer and looking for a matching header too.

SuperSteve
27-03-2008, 10:43 PM
ok im looking at

Full BC system - BC headers and BC exhaust (not sure which exhaust spec to go though, anyone know which spec will give the most gains ??)

Full Toda System -Toda Headers and Toda Exhaust

Fujisubo Exhaust with Toda headers ( im not sure which 1 to pick RM-01A or Power Getter, which 1 gives better gains ?? )

VTi_b0i
28-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Id go for the 2nd or 3rd option.
Buddyclub just too loud for me. I like to hear the engine too not just go deaf from exhaust noise lol

Kidnkorner
28-03-2008, 06:25 AM
I was very happy with the gains through the rev range on the K20 with I/H/E kpro! When u do decide on an exhaust system i recommend getting a tune, really brings the mods together! Very nice car to drive now

KPro all the way! Guys in the states who have a K20A2 have all the bolt on goodies and a set of cams are pushing between 245-260 HP to the wheels! Tuning is the only way you will see the full potential out an exhaust system and bolt ons.

thebob
05-04-2008, 04:24 PM
US dynos seem to read very high, even for stock K's.

bennjamin
05-04-2008, 09:52 PM
thread starter - its header not headers :) A header is a collective piece of metal not a collective of them :D

SuperSteve
05-04-2008, 10:55 PM
thank you BEN ! lol

Hey guys im gonna b going for full Buddy Club system. BC "HEADER" + BC Pro Spec 3 Exhaust system
Also with this setup im going to have to buy a hi flow metal cat aswell.

So once i get the money ill b purchasing and ill post a review :)

Thanks everyone for all ur feedback

And thanks bennjamin for helping me with my england !

.::F[L]Y::.
06-04-2008, 11:50 AM
imo, i dont like BC exhaust systems. Crap quality and fitment...i had one on my dc2 ages ago and even the exhaust shop complained at how bad the fitment was. Theres been other reported evidence of this elsewhere on the forums.

do they have j's racing exhaust for ep3?

wuism
06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
yep.. they have 70rr and 60rs for ep3

kongfu
07-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Js racing and TODA would be my choice.

Buddyclub is crap.

Kidnkorner
07-04-2008, 11:29 PM
US dynos seem to read very high, even for stock K's.

People who use dynos for things other than tuning and trouble shooting need a kick in the nuts. Dynos don't measure HP they calculate it.

Edit: You also can't compare 2 different cars on 2 different dyno in 2 different parts of the world, or from dyno to dyno daqy to day.

.::F[L]Y::.
08-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Id go for the J's Racing exhaust since its probably the most lightest of them all. Not to mention the excellent quality

barefootbonzai
08-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey guys i got a jdm ep3 and looking to getting the best exhaust and extractors to go with my gruppe m intake that will give me the most kw gains. Money not a issue.

I'd get in contact with SSR/DTR in the US and tell them what you're after. Tell them money isn't an issue, and they'll build you the sickest setup! Probably not realistic, but man that would be hetick!

Dr.k20z1
14-04-2008, 03:31 PM
how much wud shipping be u rkn? for ssr headers?

xtercii
14-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Less than 150au

Dr.k20z1
15-04-2008, 01:33 PM
are u joking? cos thats cheap as.. do we just contact ssr direct?

Black_DC5_R
18-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I just got a quote for shipping for the SSR header by contacting them.

Its US$150.

Each one is made to order, so you tell them what mods you have, or what your future mods will be, so they design it perfectly for you.

Dr.k20z1
19-04-2008, 12:04 AM
group buy ftw!!!!!! lol

SuperSteve
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
just a quick question which exhaust gives better power gains

Fujisubo RM-01A or PowerGetter or the Toda Exhaust ??

Hullabaloo
01-05-2008, 03:36 PM
I've heard that the rm01a gives better mid range where as the powergetter gives better top end. not sure about the Toda system but i think that they're all quite similar.

I think the rm01a (10.6 kg) is lighter than the PG (not sure of weight).
with stock headers i've heard that the rm01a is quieter than the PG.

Some say that with aftermarket headers the rm01a is louder than PG (not sure about this).

kongfu
01-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Steve.

RM01A is better than Powergetter. I have tried on my DC5R.

RM01A is also lighter,low to mid range power gain is very noticable.

SuperSteve
01-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Thank you Hullabaloo and kongfu for ur feedback :)

Malenic1981
04-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Very intresting tread, I'll be importing EP3 very soon so I started looking around for possible mods as well, so far from what I have read around the net you can't realy go wrong with any of the big name brands TODA, SPOON, MUGEN ect, but what I found out is that Buddyclub is the only company that had EP3s as their race cars and that anything to do with EP3 Buddyclub has developed very well.

Anyway it's hard to decide what to go for, my plan is to go for exhaust first, sice everybody recons that stock headers are pretty good and stock exhaust pretty restricted that looks like good way to start things, also form my reaserch groupM air intake looks to be the answer.

js0n1
05-05-2008, 11:11 AM

I doubt it there would be any problems purchasing headers from overseas. So far I've had a turbo kit(fmic, manifold etc) and springs shipped over from the US without paying any tax upon landing in Australia.

Kidnkorner
25-09-2008, 02:21 PM
look around on the forums where their old engineers lurk, they dont design anything different, they just copy the best bits from other designs. not saying theyre crap, they just copy other designs and integrate them into one product. plus, extractors that produce the most power dont necessarily lead to a faster car, theres a lot more physics involved, and same length primaries dont quite take advantage of the physics involved. look around if you dont get what i mean. theres an NA s2000 that makes less power than j racing's supercharged s2000, but still performs better on the track and in straight line acceleration.

and asking why their copy would be so expensive is like asking why people pay more for gucci and armani suits, you pay for the name and partially the product.

their k20a headers are very basic in design with only a few if any antireversion steps, but to make the most power from a setup, you'll need 35+ inches of primary piping at least, which is something that only bisimoto seems to do.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that HyTech DOES NOT FUGGING COPY anyone! No one is going to pay $1200 USD for a copy of someone else header. There are basic fundamentals of header design that you fail to realize and you will see the incorporated in many header designs. John the owner of HyTech invented the anti reversion chamber. When I said that HyTech makes the most power I was referring to the overall power band as well as peak. But it's not about peak power it's about the power band and some cars are faster on short tracks but slower on long tracks.

Snoop_gee
26-09-2008, 01:27 PM

In terms of exhaust, get a custom one with high flow cat, good flowing muffler and one resonator and 3inch piping!
thats the 1 i went for... :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup:

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/216965-1/exhaust+001.JPG

vertex_s15
19-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey guys

We running the Rcrew Headers and 3 inch Rcrew exhaust with cat delete pipe. Makes the power and and definately worth the value. Not as expensive as other headers in the U.S market.

Wei

Benson
19-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey guys

We running the Rcrew Headers and 3 inch Rcrew exhaust with cat delete pipe. Makes the power and and definately worth the value. Not as expensive as other headers in the U.S market.

Wei

:thumbsup:

DTR headers are getting overrrated... There has been a test between the cheap Tri-Y headers and the DTR's and the results are very surprising. If anyone wants the result, send me a PM

air23box
20-10-2008, 01:00 AM
I'll go spoon 4-2 header (45-48) with Mugen N1 if you go track more often....<I run this setup on track> or....
J's racing 4-2 (40-50) with J's 70 RR......they both good combination and will give good power gain.....by using that I chop 2 sec off my lap pb.... for street I will go mugen header plus RM01A.....

2002 TeGgY
21-10-2008, 07:02 PM
toda headers + 3'' catback ftw