PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows how to install Apex'i RSM into a Civic??? NEEDS HELP GUYZ!!

s2_eternity_s2
25-03-2008, 08:56 AM
:D Hiya guyz! I have a Civic 2000 EK1 manual and this baby of mine does not have a tacho/rev metre!!!! how boring is that!?? :( so.. i decided to get a RSM but not too sure how to install it :confused:?? Anyone can help? I did read some tips online but the point is they only show how to install on other models not the 2000 ones :zip:. And not even sure if I can instal this RSM into my 2000 (hhhmmm). If someone can show the steps and pics that would be great :thumbsup:. Thnx heaps guyz!!! ^o^ :cool:

sid
25-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Click here for a DIY. (http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47243&highlight=tacho+install) Is that what you're talking about? Or are you on about an APEXi RSM like > http://www.garage-13.com/apexiavcr.jpg

s2_eternity_s2
25-03-2008, 10:25 AM
no not that tacho one. Mine is the digital Apexi RSM >
http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/gallery/albums/Misc/RSM_withflash.jpg

teaseR
25-03-2008, 10:47 AM
they are the same.
just one is version 1 and urs is version 2

s2_eternity_s2
25-03-2008, 01:02 PM
oh i c. so how do i install the digital rsm? any steps and pix?

vinnY
25-03-2008, 01:40 PM
no wiring diagram that came with it?
depending on how permanent you want it, theres a few ways of doing it

just need to be armed with a soldering iron and some wire cutters for a basic job, otherwise you can throw some wire tap-in squeeze connectors and some spade connectors to make it easily removable later on with minimal damage to your stock wiring harness

vinnY
25-03-2008, 01:55 PM
personally i don't have an rsm, just a vafc2
but iirc its pretty much similar installation wise minus the vtec wiring
read the manual, its not plug and play so there is some soldering work involved(twist and tape if you're looking for a dodgey job)
just read the manual that came with it and followed the wiring diagram and hooked it up myself with some wire tap-in connectors and spade connectors, ended up only having to cut the vtec signal wire(i think?) so the vafc2 could intercept the signal to alter the vtec crossover point

s2_eternity_s2
25-03-2008, 01:58 PM
i do have the manuals but its in japanese, cant understand a single word of it :zip:

vinnY
25-03-2008, 02:00 PM
http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/diagrams/Apexi_RSM_GP_wiring_diagram.pdf

linked from http://paulr33.skylinesaustralia.com/diagrams.html
/credit

s2_eternity_s2
25-03-2008, 02:11 PM
oh my god.. finally i found the manuals in english!!!! man ur the best vinnY!! thnx.. but another question.. this is what i really want to know: in the manuals it doesnt have my model which is an EK1 (2000) does that mean i cant install this rsm or if i can .. which diagram should i use? *sigh* hopefully i can get this *freakin* rsm to work in my car.....

vinnY
25-03-2008, 02:20 PM
gotta have to wait for someone else to chime in on that one, only done it on a b series but a mates done it on his '00 ek1 so it is doable

Sexc86
26-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Just a word of advice mate.. make sure you disconnet your battery before you start cutting and soldering! or you are pretty much guarentied to blow a few fuses. can be a pain in the ass!

mclovin
26-03-2008, 08:25 PM
quick suggestion, why dont u just buy a autometer tacho. they are so much more easier to install. i think its like 4 wires and thats it power, earth,lights & rpm signal - all of which can be found at ur instrument cluster.

sid
27-03-2008, 09:39 AM
maybe the RSM has more features?

Like the original, the new Rev / Speed Meter GP is a complete multi function measuring device designed to measure and monitor data such as vehicle speed, engine RPM and elapsed times. The new screen utilizes the easy to read VFD (Vacuum Flourescent Display) with built in light sensor used in many of APEXis line up. The new unit also delivers a host of new functions.
Standard features include: Engine RPM, Vehicle Speed, Travel Distance and Battery Voltage (all which can be displayed in real-time graph mode, or analogue mode; 1-4 channels at a time). Peak Hold, Replay (60secs), Speed Limiter Cut, 0-100m/200m/400m time with Trap Speed. 0-100km/h/200km/h/300km/h times, Mid Range Acceleration (user can preset any range of speed to measure), Stop Watch functions, Best Time Memory, RPM Warning, Speed Warning, RPM & Speed Outputs (for external devices requiring an RPM or Speed signal). Tyre Size Correction (for timing accuracy), and Vehicle weight input.

One of the most exciting new features is the option to utilise a revolutionary APEXi G-Sensor (Sold separately). The G-sensor allows the unit to measure G-forces in a 4 way front/rear/left/right directions. This data can be plotted in a graph display to map acceleration characteristics and lateral Gs on a race track, or used in an array of new features including : Highly accurate 100m/200m/400m times with trap speed and wheelspin correction, produce an extremely accurate power measurements. Usually, when measuring 0-400m times through the speed senso signal alone, the meter will end measurement too early (shorter distance due to wheel spin). Using the G-Sensor modifies the speed sensor signal, compensating for wheel spin, and producing impeccably accurate acceleration times.

mclovin
27-03-2008, 09:52 AM
it just seems like the only problem here is that they dont have a tacho??

But wow, didnt know it did all that. Are you sales person for Apexi, if not u should be cause you have just convinced me to go out and get one.

i already have vafc2 so this would be a ood addition on top of that.

cheers

Spoon-Accord
27-03-2008, 10:25 AM
where u from eternity?

i can probably help u install it

i got a EM1 cluster sitting here for sale. makes life easier :)

s2_eternity_s2
28-03-2008, 07:45 AM
i'm from brizzie actually. where u guyz from? show me the photo of EM1 cluster that ur selling spoon-accord

s2_eternity_s2
28-03-2008, 07:46 AM
hey mclovin wat's ur car model?

sid
28-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Are you sales person for Apexi, if not u should be cause you have just convinced me to go out and get one.

Yeah I am

nick_sixx
28-03-2008, 11:57 AM
it just seems like the only problem here is that they dont have a tacho??

But wow, didnt know it did all that. Are you sales person for Apexi, if not u should be cause you have just convinced me to go out and get one.

i already have vafc2 so this would be a ood addition on top of that.

cheers

a rev meter is a tacho you berk

mclovin
28-03-2008, 06:28 PM
hey mclovin wat's ur car model?

em1 vtir coupe, why is that???

mclovin
28-03-2008, 06:32 PM
a rev meter is a tacho you berk

WHY YOU DONT SAY!!!! but it would just be so much easier to wire in the tacho, which has less wiring than an apexi RSM. that was my point...

s2_eternity_s2
29-03-2008, 06:28 PM
i think i heard from somewhere that EM1 is rare... or did i remembered it wrong. I thought urs would be EK models. Mine share some pics of ur rides? cheers

p.s still waiting for someone to show how to install the apexi rsm...

s2_eternity_s2
29-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Yea.. i did thought of those black mirror autometer tacho but since my bro bought this rsm and changed his mind not installing it in his mazda 3 animore, i might as well steal this rsm instead of getting the tacho.. besides this rsm looks pretty nice actually... cant wait to instal it in my babie civic!!! there's got to be someone in here knows how to instal this bloody thing!!

itr_112
30-03-2008, 02:44 PM
WHY YOU DONT SAY!!!! but it would just be so much easier to wire in the tacho, which has less wiring than an apexi RSM. that was my point...

The RSM is also 4 wires..

mclovin
30-03-2008, 07:34 PM
The RSM is also 4 wires..

RSM requires piggy back into ecu whereas normal tacho only needs to go to instrument cluster. its much easier to find wiring at the cluster than at the ecu ( referring to the inexperienced)

CRXer
30-03-2008, 07:41 PM
RSM requires piggy back into ecu whereas normal tacho only needs to go to instrument cluster. its much easier to find wiring at the cluster than at the ecu ( referring to the inexperienced)

RSM can be piggybacked onto cluster as well...........

No need to go all the way back to ECU

mclovin
30-03-2008, 07:55 PM
RSM can be piggybacked onto cluster as well...........

No need to go all the way back to ECU

well consider me corrected!!! i assumed that being an apexi that it needed to go back to the ecu as that is wat i had to do with my vafc2.

CRXer
30-03-2008, 08:15 PM
vafc has vtec solenoid & pressure,map sensor,tps,etc connections only found at ecu & engine bay.

rsm only has power,ground,speed signal,tacho signal,which can all be found at the cluster,even cars without a tacho.

sid
30-03-2008, 08:21 PM
vafc has vtec solenoid & pressure,map sensor,tps,etc connections only found at ecu & engine bay.

rsm only has power,ground,speed signal,tacho signal,which can all be found at the cluster,even cars without a tacho.

Took the words right out of my mouth!

s2_eternity_s2
30-03-2008, 10:01 PM
hmmm... never heard of vafc before but it does sounds cool with its specifications. Well I finally got my Apexi RSM installed in my babie civic and happy wit it... (thnx 2 CRXer) dun wanna go wit more difficult wires like i mite wit vafc ... then CRXer prolly go thru wit the trouble drawing on pics i took again, isnt that rite CRXer? lolz.

CRXer
30-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Haha......i like tuning my n00b photo editing skillz

if u can install a rsm,u can install a vafc no prob

i'll help u out if u want,but i suggest for your car,u dont need a vafc,better money spent on a nice set of performance tyres or similar.u already got enough apexi bling on your dash