PDA

View Full Version : Spray painting EK side skirts

Mugen Civic
25-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Hay guys,

I see alot of you's have Side Skirts that are colour coded, how you guys do it? Cause I dropped off my side skirts and front lip to get colour coded and later today they call me and said that the side skirts can't be painted as it has silicon on it and the paint would just fall off. I think he said its actually inpregnated so sanding it off won't help.

Just would like to know how you guys do it? Like you use alot of primer or you guys did a DIY and used spray can or something?

Thanks

Q_ball
25-03-2008, 09:31 AM
???

If you're skirts are fcked, theyre fcked...
Unless the workshop is shiet, then i dare say that your side skirts are beyond repair... hence get new sideskirts.

Depends on the type of quality you want bro, you can opt for the el cheapo spray can... however if it were me, i'd get it done properly.

kraiye
25-03-2008, 09:37 AM
well... i washed mine with dashwashing liquid, gave them a sand with wet & dry then washed them down with a wet rag. sprayed them with a few coats from cans of touch up paint from super cheap.
so far no evidence of any problems/defects - I was poor-ass at the time & didn't even use primer

if it had silicon on it you'd see immediately that the paint isn't sticking.

qball - unless i missed something i dont see where it says his skirts are f*d

Mugen Civic
25-03-2008, 09:39 AM
oh no their not broken or anything.

Its just the original side skirts off my EK Sedan, Just wanted to get them spray painted to the same colour as the car.

Just see alot of civics around here thats done that and i'm wondering how they did it.

Mugen Civic
25-03-2008, 09:39 AM
well... i washed mine with dashwashing liquid, gave them a sand with wet & dry then washed them down with a wet rag. sprayed them with a few coats from cans of touch up paint from super cheap.
so far no evidence of any problems/defects.

did u use primer and clear coat?

sid
25-03-2008, 09:53 AM
so far no evidence of any problems/defects - I was poor-ass at the time & didn't even use primer
if it had silicon on it you'd see immediately that the paint isn't sticking.

That answers your primer question.

Mugen Civic
25-03-2008, 10:15 AM
hehe sorry, his post was edited.

i guess i'll have to give the spray cans ago. hope the spraypainting dude is wrong.

kraiye
25-03-2008, 10:40 AM
definately clear coat them when you're done. when i get a chance i'll freshen mine up and clear coat so they can be polished/waxed properly :thumbsup:
if you're worried just get one can and test it on part of the skirt you can't really see (underneath or on the ends etc.)
g/l

Mugen Civic
25-03-2008, 10:42 AM
definately clear coat them when you're done. when i get a chance i'll freshen mine up and clear coat so they can be polished/waxed properly :thumbsup:
if you're worried just get one can and test it on part of the skirt you can't really see (underneath or on the ends etc.)
g/l

cool thanks
i will do it right now

off to the shop for now...

Q_ball
25-03-2008, 10:43 AM

Hay guys,

I see alot of you's have Side Skirts that are colour coded, how you guys do it? Cause I dropped off my side skirts and front lip to get colour coded and later today they call me and said that the side skirts can't be painted as it has silicon on it and the paint would just fall off. I think he said its actually inpregnated so sanding it off won't help.

Just would like to know how you guys do it? Like you use alot of primer or you guys did a DIY and used spray can or something?

Thanks
A workshop saying that they cannot paint something means 2 things,

a) theyre shit
b) the skirts fcked

mrwillz
25-03-2008, 10:48 AM
lol me thinks the panel shop is shit

Mugen Civic
25-03-2008, 10:54 AM
nah i don't think so

becuase anyone can just spray paint onto somethin.
if my spray painter said he see's that theres silicon in the material then he can't really garrentee that the paint will stick. It maybe stick for acouple months or over a year but it wouldn't really justify his profesionalism if it peels off.

Sorry for the many spelling mistakes, about to go pick up my skirts.

His doing my front mugen lip thou, which is the harder one. I don't mind giving the sides skirts ago myself.
I'l try write a DIY if it turns out good

thanks guys

mrwillz
25-03-2008, 10:56 AM
i gave my sideskirts to a panel shop

they painted it

i picked it up

put it back on

I was very happy.

EK1.6LCIV
25-03-2008, 12:37 PM
I did them when I also did the side mouldings on my EJ8, the shop I took the car to in my area had to use a brand of Euro paint that does it, some paint will fail at the task I'll say it now as most of these panels are protected using a coating from factory.

Mugen Civic
25-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Yea tru

i'm back from the spraypainters, looking at the side skirts closer, it does have some coat on it and i also put some additional sort of protectant on it also. Dam wish i didn't do that because he said if i didn't put additional coats on it then it could of been possible to colour them.

Does anyone know how to get rid of silicone base coats off side skirts?? It seems to have absorbed it.

omgzilla
25-03-2008, 08:23 PM
I was talking to a mate of mine (who is a spray-painter) about doing mine and he reckons if we rub them back and use plastic primer first the paint it will stick just fine.

Said he's done it a few times before.

Did they use a special primer on yours Ryan?

mrwillz
25-03-2008, 08:27 PM
u have to sand it down, at least the panel shop should have askd you.
because it is not smooth , its pimply

you would want it smoothed out either way.

EK1.6LCIV
25-03-2008, 08:48 PM
I was talking to a mate of mine (who is a spray-painter) about doing mine and he reckons if we rub them back and use plastic primer first the paint it will stick just fine.

Said he's done it a few times before.

Did they use a special primer on yours Ryan?

On the mouldings yea, a euro brand, he wouldn't say. I'll ask him on the weekend when I see him

omgzilla
25-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I was actually thinking about just using that K&H Bumper Coat on my skirts (keeping them black).

I haven't put anything on them but i'm not sure how well it would turn out. Hmmm...

nugget666
25-03-2008, 09:02 PM
do you you put armorall on your skirts?

get some degreaser/ washing up liquid or take them somewhere else for second opinion.

hksunnychui
25-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Which panel / paint shop is that?

Let us know know so we can avoid to go there LOL....

Mugen Civic
25-03-2008, 10:19 PM
haha nah i don't wanna say bad things about them

it was just this panel beaters place next door to my dads workshop. I asked how much it would cost to get the lip colour coded and he said don't worry about, he was nice enough to do it for free.

just that as for the side skirts, he reckons its hard for the paint to stay on.
Does primer stay on silicone surfaces?

WANKFACTR
26-03-2008, 12:43 PM
i just did my brothers car all i did was sand them a lil so they had a rough surface for the paint to grip to spray on then let to go tacky then spray clear coat and let to dry all while they where still on the car . just taped round them so no over spray. and no paint has come of or anything. looks a treat

omgzilla
26-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I don't use armor-all or anything but the surface is smooth/slick (probably just as it was from factory).

I might have to get my mate to do them at his work.

Killa From Manila
26-03-2008, 08:27 PM
use prep wash...its the shit panel shops use to get rid of silicon on stuff b4 they paint it. then sand, maybe clean it again, prime,then paint. or even better take it to another shop

Mugen Civic
27-03-2008, 12:11 AM
oh i see

is prep wash something i can buy in autobarn?

Killa From Manila
27-03-2008, 05:23 PM
hmmm not too sure. maybe panel beater wholesaler places...il ask my friend

Mugen Civic
27-03-2008, 11:24 PM
cool thanks

lenz
02-04-2008, 12:57 PM
just sand it down with 800 or scotch brite then wash them dont use wax and shine soap just use normal car wash or wax and grease then wack on some plastic prime wallah you can start painting.. no panel beater cant say they cant do it you can always do it