PDA

View Full Version : Tyre pressures - Wakefield Park

Zilli
26-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey all,

Im hitting Wakefield tommorrow, and ive got brand new Toyo R888's.... I was wondering what tyre rpessure anyone would recommend to me as a good starting point, and perhaps give a breakdown of what having higher and lower pressure is about and what the effects are....

Thanks all for your help

aaronng
26-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Lower pressure (down to a limit) = More contact area but tyre will roll more and cause premature shoulder wear. Also, more heat generated and tyre temperature goes up quickly.

Higher pressure = slightly less contact area if pressure is too high. Less friction on the straights, less tyre roll means less shoulder wear (more efficient use of tyres).

Zilli
26-03-2008, 09:38 AM
ok, so what is a good starting point?

i would presume that having lower pressure specifically on the rear would induce lift off oversteer? front end under?

aaronng
26-03-2008, 09:55 AM
ok, so what is a good starting point?

i would presume that having lower pressure specifically on the rear would induce lift off oversteer? front end under?

No, lower pressure at the rear means less tendency to slide in the rear, so you get understeer. I'd say start with 36-40psi all around, go out for a few laps to familiarise and then do 2 hot laps. Then come back in, measure all 4 corners again. It should something ridiculous like 50psi because of the heat. Then adjust up or down to suit.

Zilli
26-03-2008, 09:59 AM
hmmmm.... ok thanks.... have you had these tyres before Aaronng?

aaronng
26-03-2008, 10:13 AM
hmmmm.... ok thanks.... have you had these tyres before Aaronng?

Nope, my advice is general. I just got back from Wakefield last Saturday using S02 and RE001. BTW, why didn't you go for that one instead? Was cheap and only 6 cars on the track at a time!

Zilli
26-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Fair enough, because im being told that these tyres will go off if they are over 33.5 PSI hot...

was busy on that day...

aaronng
26-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Fair enough, because im being told that these tyres will go off if they are over 33.5 degrees hot...

was busy on that day...

Your tyres will get over 33.5 C easy. Go by what you experience tomorrow. Not by what ppl are telling you which they might have heard from a friend of a friend. How did they measure 33.5 C on the tyre anyway? An infrared thermometer?

Zilli
26-03-2008, 10:50 AM
i think the person giving me the advice may have access to such a device... he is involved in racing on a regular basis and builds his own integra....

anyway you are right, it does come down to the individual, im just trying to get as much information as possible... thanks mate

e240
26-03-2008, 12:35 PM
R888 - you'd want to hit around 34psi hot. So my suggestion is start with 30psi cold.

Zilli
26-03-2008, 12:37 PM
sweet... thats a second opinion for that... cheers fellas

fatboyz39
26-03-2008, 12:50 PM
usually run semi's Advan O48 36-38psi HOT all round. dunno about R888.

reemember to measure the tyre pressure once your off the track. It will give the most accurate readings.

beeza
26-03-2008, 01:55 PM
How about Toyo T1S's plz? :)

e240
26-03-2008, 02:41 PM
How about Toyo T1S's plz? :)

With the T1S being a street compound, unlike the R888, I'd go around 38psi to 40psi hot - Some people even recommend as high as 42psi.

So again, I'd start with 36psi~38psi cold
Having softer sidewalls, higher pressure help prevent the sides of the tyre from peeling off the rims under heavy load.

beeza
26-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Thanks mate,when U say "I'd go around 80psi to 40psi hot",is the 80psi a typo? :)

aaronng
26-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I had about 40psi hot that day on RE001, and it wasn't enough as the tyre edge was still rolling..... But it will be different with the R888.

chargeR
26-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I had about 40psi hot that day on RE001, and it wasn't enough as the tyre edge was still rolling..... But it will be different with the R888.

Truth. I used to run my street tyres of around 40 PSI hot, but I now aim for around 34 PSI with my re55s which requires me to set them around 28/31 F/R cold. I am thinking they might even benefit from even lower pressures.

iced
26-03-2008, 03:40 PM
you need to experiment and keep track of tyre wear etc.
every cars suspension and level of grip it can dish out is different.

e240
26-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks mate,when U say "I'd go around 80psi to 40psi hot",is the 80psi a typo? :)

Typo - 38psi..

e240
26-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Truth. I used to run my street tyres of around 40 PSI hot, but I now aim for around 34 PSI with my re55s which requires me to set them around 28/31 F/R cold. I am thinking they might even benefit from even lower pressures.

RE55s are not your typical street tyres - They r Semi slick R compounds..
If you had run them at 40psi hot, you wouldn't have had any grip at all...

fatboyz39
26-03-2008, 10:44 PM

RE55s are not your typical street tyres - They r Semi slick R compounds..
If you had run them at 40psi hot, you wouldn't have had any grip at all...

he said when we had street tyres he ran them 40psi HOT.

chargeR
27-03-2008, 09:57 AM
he said when we had street tyres he ran them 40psi HOT.

Yeah fatboyz39 is correct :), I used to run my re001 and s03s at the higher pressure not my re55s.

Zilli
27-03-2008, 08:03 PM
thanks for your help all, ended up doing a hand times 1:16.13... im pretty pleased for a second time out there, the first time i was running on kings and Azenis RT215's

Throughout the day i made sure to have the tyres at 34ish psi when hot (measured straight after i came off) i must say it felt as though there wasnt enough pressure in them...

the car did well, its just im getting a lot of body roll as a result of the new tyres... so im getting some front left scrubbing, and it feels like the car is push understeering, making it very difficult to maintain a consistant line through corners...

I slowly upped the hardness on the N+'s... in the end on 15 front 14 rear i got my best time, a 2 second improvement throughout the day...

I wasnt sure but i thought i could have made the rears harder than the front to get a bit more of an oversteer feel... not sure if this was the case... so i went with what i had...

Any thoughts or ideas on what i can do to try and improve the handling now? i was thinking bigger swaybars to try and keep the car flat throughout corners... i do know i should have lifted the car a bit because it does sit quite low (lowest setting on the front) but i dont see why that should be an issue... im getting scrubbing on the inner guard I THINK....

Any ideas or thoughts would be great

beeza
27-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Definately a 22mm or bigger rear sway.I just put one in my car and it's made a hell of a difference.No more understeer (I got a stock 22mm one on the front too).And like you said up the tyre pressure :)

chargeR
27-03-2008, 11:05 PM
My advice to you from my experience would be to stick with the parts you have now and go back out and play around with tyre pressures and your driving style and line. I am not trying to be condescending or discourage you but this is what I wish I had done instead of throwing parts at my car :).

If you think your car is scrubbing at the front maybe it might just be wise to raise it up.

Also I would look into optimising your alignment because this has a very significant role in the handling of the car and how suited it is to your style.

aaronng
27-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Definately a 22mm or bigger rear sway.I just put one in my car and it's made a hell of a difference.No more understeer (I got a stock 22mm one on the front too).And like you said up the tyre pressure :)

He has a DC2R.

beeza
27-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I know but same principle.

aaronng
27-03-2008, 11:25 PM
DC2R comes stock with a 22mm rear and is oversteer happy. I think he has a case of overspeed.

itr_112
27-03-2008, 11:39 PM
30psi hot! Seen it work very well for RE55s, D03G, D01J and Pirelli CORSA

Zilli
28-03-2008, 07:50 AM
My advice to you from my experience would be to stick with the parts you have now and go back out and play around with tyre pressures and your driving style and line. I am not trying to be condescending or discourage you but this is what I wish I had done instead of throwing parts at my car :).

If you think your car is scrubbing at the front maybe it might just be wise to raise it up.

Also I would look into optimising your alignment because this has a very significant role in the handling of the car and how suited it is to your style.

no offense taken mate, i appreciate an honest opinion man! thats why i posted it here!

I will be reviewing the footage to see where i am turning in and whether that is causing the excessive roll... i DO think the car is too low, but i havent had a chance to play with ride heghts as yet... i DO however feel the pressures were too low, man 30psi HOT on these, the tyres would look flat from the outside, as i'd need to run about 25psi cold...

i do think there is a situation of too much speed... i think i need to stop and think about the "smooth" principle...

bennjamin
28-03-2008, 08:56 AM
A driver with practice , should be able to maximise their cars limits regardless of the "Setup".

My point is , leave your car as is and concentrate on finding the correct lines for now :) IT makes a BIG difference knowing how to drive wakefield than just putting more mods on.

Zilli
28-03-2008, 09:17 AM
cheers Ben!! i will do just that... it just hurt to hear my expensive tyres scrubbing up :-)

bennjamin
28-03-2008, 09:21 AM
well ~ same reason i am sticking to my car "as is" to hopefully make the most of it. Im not the best but like anyone with practice getting better and faster.
Mind you , im sticking with RE001's until maxing out (at a guess 1.15s) then plop on these semis i have hanging around. Best of luck dude the B18c7 is a great reliable engine if you dont mod it too much ehe.

aaronng
28-03-2008, 01:09 PM
well ~ same reason i am sticking to my car "as is" to hopefully make the most of it. Im not the best but like anyone with practice getting better and faster.
Mind you , im sticking with RE001's until maxing out (at a guess 1.15s) then plop on these semis i have hanging around. Best of luck dude the B18c7 is a great reliable engine if you dont mod it too much ehe.

Me too, I am 100% sure that I am not even utilising 3/4 of my car's potential. Looking forward to the next wakie trackday.

aaronng
28-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I will be reviewing the footage to see where i am turning in and whether that is causing the excessive roll... i DO think the car is too low, but i havent had a chance to play with ride heghts as yet... i DO however feel the pressures were too low, man 30psi HOT on these, the tyres would look flat from the outside, as i'd need to run about 25psi cold...

i do think there is a situation of too much speed... i think i need to stop and think about the "smooth" principle...
:thumbsup: I thought I was giving 10/10 on the track and there was no more room for improvement. But when I reviewed my video, I realised that all the lines I took were shit and the sad fact that I was the one holding back my car's true potential. Just from watching the video over and over again, I now have totally new lines to try for the next trackday. Make sure you come for that one so we can compare notes.

Zilli
28-03-2008, 01:25 PM
well im loking at going to the Anzac Day timed event

FallenAngel
01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
well im loking at going to the Anzac Day timed event

I'll see you there :wave::wave:

Although it'll be my first time there driving with my FD1, and after reading the posts... I still don't get some of the things... Forgive me for being a dumbass...

1. Lowering your tyre pressure. I'm just curious that do your tyres REALLY heat up THAT much? Such that you have to lower it so much, as i am running 35psi cold on street with stock tyres.
2. Should i be thinking of upgrading my tyres to something better such as RE001's?

Cheers in Advance!

beeza
02-04-2008, 12:30 AM
If you can afford it,replace them,tyres make a big difference.TALEB TYRES on here is cheap.

Zilli
02-04-2008, 07:29 AM
anything that is super cheap needs to be examined...

They do heat up man, but im runningtoyo R888's