PDA

View Full Version : CRV 2003-2004 Air Conditioner Compressor Problems?

adr_an
26-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Hi Guys,
Just wondering if there is anyone else here that's had trouble with their Honda CRV Air conditioning? (I've got a Manual car)
Around 1 week ago I was driving home with the AC on when I noticed that the revs would get down to almost zero when i'd come to a stop.
I turned the AC off and found that the problem went away.

The next day I tried out again and found that the car was working fine, so I just put it down to the weather being really hot and overworking the AC. 15 minutes into my ride I hear this crackling and popping noise and then find that the AC has stopped outputting cold air.

I did some research online and found that there were a lot of CRV's built around the same time with the same problem.

So yeah, just wondering if you guys have had the same issue i've had.

ms700
26-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Very common unfortunately, your compressor has poo'd itself.

You'll need a new compressor, receiver drier, and you may need a clutch and stator for the compressor. Very expensive!

If you use genuine parts, you'll be up for about 1K, plus gas.

adr_an
26-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Very common unfortunately, your compressor has poo'd itself.

You'll need a new compressor, receiver drier, and you may need a clutch and stator for the compressor. Very expensive!

If you use genuine parts, you'll be up for about 1K, plus gas.

Hi Ms700,
Do you have links to this problem? Any Australian links? I'm trying to build a case for Honda to show them that it isn't a one off. Hopefully they can get it fixed under their 'goodwill' policy.:thumbsup:

Datuk
26-03-2008, 10:01 PM
already got my replace!

adr_an
26-03-2008, 10:20 PM
How many K's were you on when you had to get yours replaced Datuk?

Datuk
27-03-2008, 03:10 PM
about 91000km

adr_an
27-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Was your car out of warranty? Sorry for the questions. Anyone else here had the same experience? Or are there any AC mechanics that can back me up?

zerospel
29-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Does anyone know if this problem applies to 02 models as well?

adr_an
29-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Maybe if enough CRV owners with these sort of problems post here we can use this post as some evidence for Honda Australia.

Datuk
31-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Yeah the 02 has that problem!

linsey
02-12-2009, 10:22 PM
i got the same a/c problem with my 03 Crv my04 model. get in to the local repair shop got quote for around 1k for repair (genuine parts) or $600 for a second hand compressor. will call honda tmr to see what they say. has any one received a free repair from honda ?

adr_an
03-12-2009, 10:22 AM
I wasn't able to get it replaced for free, but Honda were willing to pay 25% of the cost.

In the end I ended up going to Frozen Air in Keysborough.

linsey
04-12-2009, 04:16 PM
got that fix today,cost975 at granville local repair. the mechani said it is likely to happen again. i am thinking selling my cry and buy a nissan xtail .

csls22
24-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi there.
Sorry to resurrect an old post but just yesterday my wife was driving our 05 CR-V and the compressor self destructed. Bits of aluminium casting everywhere :( In the process now of finding out how much to fix the problem. Our V has 65000km and it showed no signs before letting go.
I too have been looking online and see that a lot of Americans and Canadians are getting "good will" payments from Honda to help fix the problem. Anyone here have any experience with getting such a payment from Honda?

Cheers in advance,
Chris.

Jezza56
25-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Hey Guys I own a 2004 Euro Luxury, They use the same Air Con Compressor, Mine makes a severe rattling noise, car has done 150,000 Km's. I do-not think this is acceptable for a major component to last only this long. Applied To Honda Aus for goodwill warranty and it was rejected. I am still having Discussions with them will post the outcome.

It is a common problem with this compressor so I feel that some assistance from Honda is Warranted. I would gladly pay labour costs if they at least supplied the parts, in my opinion I think this is reasonable. I have owned the car from new and never had a warranty claim before.

Another point i would like to make is that I use to work in the Automotive Industry making car components, and I spent some time in Japan Training.They are a very proud people with a sense of responsibility, so if needed i will take this directly to Honda Japan if i do'not achieve a satisfactory outcome from Honda Aus...

Accord Basic
26-02-2010, 11:07 PM
mine Euro just replaced a new compressor and condensor as well. I really want to kick the Honda dealer (Burswood, Perth), because I have problem with the air con 6 months ago. I reported to them twice in last 6 months, they don't know what is the problem and charge me $114 for checking. Now, I have to replace the whole system.

1plus1equals11
27-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Guys ,I have a Honda CRV -3 model .My AC compressor has stopped working and is faulty.Any ideas where can i get the cheap compressor and labour and wheather as read in the thread Honda Australia willing to compensate the cost

mangoman
02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
FWIW, My wife's 03 CRV compressor sh!t itself about 12 months ago. Honda told us to go jump, out of warranty - end of story. Original replacement parts were way too expensive, so we went for an aftermarket equivalent. Still cost us $1000 to fix! Not real nice for a car with less than 100K on the clock!:thumbdwn:

veekay
29-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi
Got the same problem to my 2003 CRV. The compressor for the airconditioner just seized up and the repair bill is about $4000 as quoted by the dealer.

sdewyz
07-04-2010, 02:39 PM
its a very common problem. Its good to change the condenser at the same time because the system usually has metal filings go through it.

If anyone is interested in a brand new compressor pm me. It's exactly the same brand as the Honda one (keihin) and comes complete with solenoid and clutch pack.

angiechops77
18-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi There,

I know this is an old thread, but wanted to know if anyone had the same air conditioning compressor failure with the 2008 CR-V. Our air conditioning died about a year after our warranty had finished (How convenient!). The best price we could find to fix it was $1500. From what I've read on the net this problem has been happening for years now and the problem isn't being rendered with each new model being bought out. I don't see why I should have to pay to have something fixed that is actually a manufacturing fault.

I saw that the person who started this thread got a 25% discount, but I don't feel I should have to pay anything.

Anyone had any success in getting this problem fixed when they were out of warranty.

Thanks

Angie

androo
18-10-2012, 10:04 AM
My colleague at work told the dealership that he was going to buy a new CRV however will jump ship unless they fix his compressor for free. They obliged and fixed it for him free of charge (2 weeks ago). 2007 model.

Only thing is this was the 7th car he bought at that same dealership, so they may have helped his case (2x Honda's, changed every 4-5 years). Might be worth a shot...

Rage King
19-10-2012, 02:19 PM
if all you CRV owners are experiencing the same issues and there are no recalls or anything about these problems being a common issue by Honda, then i would suggest give the Fair Trading a call and enquire. Even though its out of warranty, im sure there is some sort of obligation that honda follows or at least offer a "goodwill gesture" to CRV owners with these problems.

build up a case, sign it and send it all together to make it a strong case within the Fair trading. Let honda know as well that you will submit a case if they dont offer to help or come up with a solution.

brett2372
06-01-2013, 04:38 PM
G'day, our aircon unit has gone cactus yesterday with most of the symptoms described occurring before the unit failed.
The CRV is a MY 2005/2004 built and only has around 89000 Kay's on board.
Contacted Honda via email yesterday as usual with any problems with the car they are indifferent.
Time to dispose of vehicle I think considering the cost to get fixed and it's not a reliable fix.

Well quick update as of 10 Feb 13, some good news at least. Issue has turned out to be the compressor clutch unit. $925.00 fitted also it is a genuine part only. I have gone ahead with the fix as its cheaper than a new car.

Ela301
09-03-2013, 09:26 PM
I have the same problem with my air conditioner. Sent a letter to Honda Australia and they told me that the reason it broke is because you need to use the air conditioner everyday!!! WTF? i told them i only use it in summer months. They didnt offer any help with it at all!! Very disappointed. got it booked to fix next week for $1650. I know my next car wont be a Honda.

brett2372
10-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Well that makes no difference, ours is constantly on since we had the car the new and it still failed.
I have a Volkswagen as well and their service warranty system and customer treatment shits all over Honda. I went to test drive the new CRV the other week and they can't even be bothered to ring you, as if your doing them a favour buying their shit cars.

Rage King
11-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Guys it appears that the crvs are having common AC compressor fails. Especially if the car is relatively new or as new. But if out of warranty then its a different story.

Why didnt honda brought a recall on this POS compressors?..

Maybe write a letter to the ombudsman or something to find out if they can help.

A good point to keep in mind of is if your not planning to use the AC in any other climate besides summer, before you switch on the AC, just do a quick check and see if all the pressurized joints/connections on the AC hose looks all good and not leaking.

The moment u turn on the AC and if there are no gas, it will definitely destroy the AC seals and worse case compressor.

It maybe a sealed system, but if it has been sitting in hibernation for a long time then the seals will let go.

Just food for thought...

blommer
11-03-2013, 05:07 PM
Taken from the ACCC site,
Voluntary safety-related recalls are the responsibility of the supplier.The Minister for Competition Policy and Consumer Affairs (the Australian Government's consumer affairs spokesperson) does have the power to order a compulsory recall of a product if it will or may cause injury to a person and where it appears that the supplier has not taken satisfactory action to prevent the goods from causing injury.

The reason why this issue has not warrant a recall is because a failed compressor does not cause any bodily harms. Difficult to find a reason how this will endanger the driver or anyone else. Unless you can prove that you got heat-stroke because your aircon compressor failed..... but what are the chances and the remoteness involved.

Rage King
12-03-2013, 10:00 PM
^^ fair enough call.

Just tell them that the compressor caused the R134 gas to leak into the vents or atmosphere.

If the gas leaks then that is an environmental harm to humans and wilderness :)

blommer
13-03-2013, 02:11 PM
^^ fair enough call.

Just tell them that the compressor caused the R134 gas to leak into the vents or atmosphere.

If the gas leaks then that is an environmental harm to humans and wilderness :)

Am sure a failed compressor per se will not cause R134A gas to leak, unless it's with regards to the seals or high/low pressure hoses. The problems with these compressors is in the clutch seizing up.

Rage King
13-03-2013, 11:23 PM
Am sure a failed compressor per se will not cause R134A gas to leak, unless it's with regards to the seals or high/low pressure hoses. The problems with these compressors is in the clutch seizing up.

Thats what i meant.. :)

Irish R
22-03-2013, 12:43 AM
I bought an 02 last week and was told it just needed regas so went in to get it done today and it needs a flush and a pump check.
No charge at least but i will not be paying $$$'s on it.
A bit disappointed but i have been here before!

Rage King
23-03-2013, 07:06 PM
I bought an 02 last week and was told it just needed regas so went in to get it done today and it needs a flush and a pump check.
No charge at least but i will not be paying $$$'s on it.
A bit disappointed but i have been here before!

there was a mob at mermaid waters/broadbeach that use to regas and replace o-ring seals for about $150 drive in and drive out. .. i think thats a good price considering he flushes the old gas out, replace compressor o-rings/gaskets then refit and regas with the dye... and i think he still has the old gas also for the older cars that uses old gas but cant afford to upgrade. (old A/C gas nowadays are now illegal by the way). :(

Irish R
24-03-2013, 12:11 PM
there was a mob at mermaid waters/broadbeach that use to regas and replace o-ring seals for about $150 drive in and drive out. .. i think thats a good price considering he flushes the old gas out, replace compressor o-rings/gaskets then refit and regas with the dye... and i think he still has the old gas also for the older cars that uses old gas but cant afford to upgrade. (old A/C gas nowadays are now illegal by the way). :(

Sounds good,just had a word with the ice guy who was referred from the mechanic and he reckons @$1200 for the pump replacing,not a chance.
I found a compressor on Gumtree that has the clutch gone on it and a wrecker has a unit too for $350.
Would be great if it was just the gasket or an O ring.....any chance you have any more details on the mob :).

Rage King
25-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Ill see if i can find his ass on google maps street view lol..

Hope fully he hasnt shut down yet lol

Irish R
03-04-2013, 12:43 AM
I might be lucky as the warranty is still valid on the car covering Condenser/compressor and evapourater,was told to get a garage report for the warranty group who are not very pleasant on the phone,but i expected that.

Irish R
08-04-2013, 11:46 PM
A little update on mine,got Rad Devil here on the Goldcoast to give a report for the Warranty gang and they quoted $1600 for a new Compressor and Condenser(just to be sure!),warranty folks only cover up to $800.
Calling into Hondarec tomorrow to see what they can do.

Rage King
09-04-2013, 10:04 PM
Hondarec still in nerang? If u get no luck try honbits in sydney and ask for todd or craig... Top blokes.

Irish R
12-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Hondarec still in nerang? If u get no luck try honbits in sydney and ask for todd or craig... Top blokes.

Yes they are still there,good guys,helped when i had the crank pulley go on the Prelude and always handy for some random sought after parts :),they couldn't help though,still no where with it.
Hondarec put me on to their A/C doer and he reckoned the same @ $1200-$1400 and he said they are a fairly bad unit and commonly go.
Not so bothered as i plan to sell it on in June,just hate when things don't work.
Still if i have the time i might give it a go myself,parts are cheap to had if your quick ;).

Limbo
12-04-2013, 05:00 PM
try HondToys in Sydney also.
I heard its a comon problem, and i was still a sucker to buy 2x 2003 CRVs

brett2372
06-01-2014, 06:09 AM
Ours was doing this. They replaced the magnetic clutch. It cost $1100.00, expensive for a 7 year old car.