PDA

View Full Version : Breaking In New Tyres

renegadeice
27-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi guys,

I've just recently replaced my stock wheels+tyres with some after market ones. I was just wondering how long it will take to break in the tyres? Also, is there anything in particular that I should do to help break them in?

I just got them a couple of days ago. They're particularly slippery now (I'm in Melbourne, and its been raining everyday for the past few days). I've read that this is due to the release agent that all new tyres are coated with. But is there anything else(apart from wearing out the release agent) that needs to be addressed before the tyres are completely broken in?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice! :wave:

aaronng
27-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Drive normally for 100km or so. No hooning.

TECBOY
27-03-2008, 11:19 PM
^ agreed
maybe even 200km i dare say

aznpsuazn
27-03-2008, 11:52 PM
The following is quoted from the Continental site. http://www.tyres4u.com.au/brandselector_doc-contiprodlinks_img-cp_show.aspx

"New tires have to be driven a few hundred miles on dry roads to rid the tread of parting agents and antioxidants applied during production. Not until the tread has been slightly roughened will the tire be able to make its true gripping power felt.

What's more, flooring it and slamming on the brakes can cause tire/rim slip in the first few hundred miles of tire use. That's because the lubricant used in mounting the tire has an initial tendency to reduce the adherence of these two parts.

You are thus well advised to exercise care with new tires. And keep in mind that winter tires fresh out of the factory will need a bit of time to attain full winter suitability."

55EXX
28-03-2008, 07:17 AM
you will feel the difference once they have worn that layer off! take it easy. i say from my experiences in the past the tyres grip didn't reach its best till bout 500km plus in dry weather.

renegadeice
28-03-2008, 12:37 PM
aahhh. That certainly helps. Thanks to everyone for all your advice!

I was talking about this to a friend of mine (who rides bikes). Apparently they have to purposely weave around on the roads to wear theirs in lol. Can't imagine that being a pleasant feeling with their new tyres being so slippery.

SeverAMV
31-03-2008, 11:49 AM
if you go through a lot of city traffic or where you may need to do some hard braking, its better to stick new tyres in the rear if you're only getting a pair, as you dont want your front slipping under heavy braking in peak hour traffic.

rayb3na_
31-03-2008, 03:17 PM
burn out! =D