PDA

View Full Version : Advice on wheels, lowering

JN7
28-03-2008, 12:15 AM
Hey, this is my first thread and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to post here. If it isn't please let me know.
Anyways,
I want to put wheels + lower on my Honda Accord Euro 06 Luxury but I am new to all this stuff.
These are the 3 rims I am choosing between:
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/johntow/20inchAPECCRHEOMDLOCKWHEELS.jpg
These are 20 inches.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/johntow/19inchxhpjetwheel.jpg
These are 19 inches.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/johntow/19inchapache.jpg
These are 19 inches.

I want to also lower my car with king springs but apparently they do not lower the car by much. I want help and advice. Thanks for reading guys.:D

akina
28-03-2008, 12:37 AM
if ur gonna do it, do it right the first time and get some coilovers...

and to the rims... if i really had to pick from the 3.... it would probably be...
fark cant decide... just not my style :s
i think the euro suits with more spokes as it is a big car and i dont like chromies.

just my opinion.

JN7
28-03-2008, 12:45 AM
What do you mean do it right the first time?
AND
What are coilovers? Sorry man I'm new to this.
Thanks for the post though.

Miz_II_Die_IV
28-03-2008, 01:22 AM
hmmm well depends wat style u want... jdm or vip... im a VIP girl... dropped with pedders n 20" Kruz wheels.... so yeah.... I would probably get coilovers if i had a spare 1k sitting around but i more of a for looks car... i rather spend it on the look...sound system etc tv/dvd, bodykit... etc etc... so yeah PM me if you want some pics....BTW if u want them really low get coilovers... or airbags.. tho it aint cheap or if not get something like mine.... good enough height since im considering put on a kit... any lower n it would be an ass to drive... with the 20" anyways.. Good luck

curik
28-03-2008, 03:37 AM
A vip girl? On 20's? First time for me to see that

BiLL|z0r
28-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Coilovers are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover

I'd get the last rims however bigger heavier rims will effect your ride, handling, braking and acceleration. Tell us what you want from the mods and we can give an opinion based on that. The sleeper look is very popular (looks stock, goes fast)

tony1234
28-03-2008, 06:29 AM

I'd get the last rims however bigger heavier rims will effect your ride, handling, braking and acceleration. Tell us what you want from the mods and we can give an opinion based on that. The sleeper look is very popular (looks stock, goes fast)
Yeah the sleeper look is the way to go.IMO go 17s or 18s.As others have said larger rims will effect your ride, handling, braking and acceleration.

Crapdaz
28-03-2008, 06:57 AM
from your choice go with the last set of wheels, btw what colour is your car ? this would effect which rim to choose also
chromies are too heavy unless you wana be a VIP low rida etc...
and go coilovers if your gona dump it on its ass as you would be able to adjust ride height if your scraping.

JN7
28-03-2008, 11:04 AM
from your choice go with the last set of wheels, btw what colour is your car ? this would effect which rim to choose also
chromies are too heavy unless you wana be a VIP low rida etc...
and go coilovers if your gona dump it on its ass as you would be able to adjust ride height if your scraping.

Thanks for the reply. My euro is Black. Hey.. would most 5 studded rims fit on the euro or is there more to it? Thanks for the replies again guys.

JN7
28-03-2008, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. I want looks but I don't it ruining the performance of the car by much..

Uzzi
28-03-2008, 11:15 AM
What Akina means by 'doing it right the first time' is do not waste time and money lowering your car with springs alone. By using coilovers (adjustable suspension) it will give you the option of changing your ride height if you need to (esp if you are gonna run 19-20 inch rims).

akina
28-03-2008, 11:18 AM
if u just go springs, give it time and shocks will go too and ur ride quality will be like crap.

if performance is still ur preference, get sum 18" i'd prefer the CE28N :p
then some coilovers to lower about 2" bahahaha done :thumbsup:

cuongn
28-03-2008, 12:15 PM
bro i just got my car lowered at ozy tyres today and it looks fuking nice, by da way i lowered it 2 and half at da front and 2 at da back, da owner said that would be best,

Crapdaz
28-03-2008, 12:29 PM
euro if i recall is 5x114.3<- wheel (M12x1.5 lugnuts)

please correct me if i am wrong.

Crapdaz
28-03-2008, 12:52 PM
bro i just got my car lowered at ozy tyres today and it looks fuking nice, by da way i lowered it 2 and half at da front and 2 at da back, da owner said that would be best,

is that on a euro or civic? <--- cuongn

get time attack edition volk TE37 <---18"

or even HOTTER CE28N Time attack edition (white)

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Kyong/Wheels/CE28_TAHonda.JPG on civic

JN7
28-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Oh I get it now.. I'd still rather 19s Akina :P
Coilovers sound much better.. but how do I adjust it? Around 1K for them right?

Uzzi
28-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Forgot to mention with coilovers you are also able to adjust damping as well. There is an adjustable screw on the coilover top for that. For height adjustment, the spring perch can be moved up or down (e.g Tein SS) for more expensive coilovers you are able to move the entire spring and perch (e.g Tein Flex)

tony1234
28-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Did they lower it by just using springs or did you get shocks as well?

akina
28-03-2008, 09:18 PM
im pretty sure ozzy tyres just lower with springs. and they charge around $400 i think.

JN7
29-03-2008, 02:00 AM
Hey, I've heard coilovers are a bit bumpy? True or false?
What's the different between pedders and kingsprings? I'm thinking about 18" now.. I want the car to look low but high enough for me to drive around without worrying about scrapping and stuff..

hooyn
29-03-2008, 12:39 PM
true and false. depending on what you want. coils usually come with a damper adjusting option. you can set how stiff / soft you want your ride to be. mines on the stiffest setting and i dont think its stiff enough. im lowered on 18's with about half a finger gap between tire and guard, have to be slow and careful and i've scraped a few times a few days after lowering it, but just be careful and slow and you should be fine.

JN7
29-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Would the Euro look crap with just 19" inch wheels? No lowering.. standard supsension.. anyone know?

Uzzi
29-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Coilovers tend to be slightly bumpier than standard as they normally come with uprated springs and dampers. However, it is not really a deterrent as the handling benefits outweigh the small nuances that coilovers have (e.g. noise and bumpiness).

Do not be confused with spring stiffness and damping adjustment. Both are totally different things altogether. Allot of people assume the moment they get adjustable coilovers they have race suspension. Just because you have the damping set at the stiffest it does not make the car handle like a Go-kart. All it does is slows the damping, the spring rates or stiffness remain the same. If you want the car to roll less go for stiffer springs or up rate the roll bars. However, this will come at the expense of ride comfort on the streets.

Uzzi
29-03-2008, 02:29 PM
It will look funny rolling on 19inch rims without lowering. If you are on a budget do one thing at a time. First thing to do is to decide how much you want to spend on wheels and suspension. This will ultimately decide what sort of look and handling you are going to get. Also consider what sort of driving you are going to do e.g do you carry passengers around alot or are you going to track the car? Start with the suspension and later change the rims.

JN7
29-03-2008, 03:23 PM
I will be taking passengers a lot.. so yeah.. what do you suggest? How long does it take to adjust the coilover (if I were to get these)

TRaNz
29-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Adjusting the height of a coilover, say just the fronts would take me about 10 mins with Tein SS, same goes for the back...really not that long. Coz i need to jack up the car to get me hands inbetween the wheel and the guard and then just use the spanners to turn the perch to lower or raise.

Uzzi
29-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Prob Tein SS as a reasonable suggestion but Tein Flex if you can. Flex is a complete unit meaning it includes the alloy cap or top, whilst SS requires you to use the caps from the original suspension.

How long does it take? That depends on the tools you have (proper jack and cordless impact wrench, you will do it in no time) its a pretty easy exercise but not something you will play with too much once you have set it. Allow about 30 min per corner I suppose.

JN7
29-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I'm thinking about getting Tein SS before getting my rims.. not sure if it's a good idea for a driveway like mine but I can take my time going cos it's a small street..

aaronng
29-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Prob Tein SS as a reasonable suggestion but Tein Flex if you can. Flex is a complete unit meaning it includes the alloy cap or top, whilst SS requires you to use the caps from the original suspension.

How long does it take? That depends on the tools you have (proper jack and cordless impact wrench, you will do it in no time) its a pretty easy exercise but not something you will play with too much once you have set it. Allow about 30 min per corner I suppose.

You can buy Tein SS with the uppermount. Tein Flex is too stiff if you want to carry passengers.

JN7
29-03-2008, 11:57 PM
So.. Tein SS is better for me in this case?

aaronng
30-03-2008, 12:02 AM
If you need adjustable height, then either SS or CS. Nothing wrong with using SS and stock mounts because that will be quieter. Tein upper mounts knock after a while. If you don't need adjustable height, go Bilstein + Eibach.

JN7
30-03-2008, 05:58 PM
So when you say Tein SS with uppermounts.. does that come together or seperately?

And.. when someone says 40P for tyres what does that mean.. thanks champ

traumatized
30-03-2008, 06:05 PM
^^ upper mounts is an additional cost for the tein ss, however as other people have stated you will not need them as you just use your stock mounts

but if you want to buy them i think its 200bux on top of the price of the coilovers

tony1234
30-03-2008, 06:15 PM
Go Bilstein/Eibach combo,you won't look back!!:while the others are complaining of their Teins squeaking/creaking you'll have a nice quiet setup

aaronng
30-03-2008, 06:41 PM
So when you say Tein SS with uppermounts.. does that come together or seperately?

And.. when someone says 40P for tyres what does that mean.. thanks champ

Others have answered the 1st question. No idea what does 40P mean. 40psi?

JN7
30-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Go Bilstein/Eibach combo,you won't look back!!:while the others are complaining of their Teins squeaking/creaking you'll have a nice quiet setup

Is the Bilstein/Eibach combo coilovers or springs? I'm a noob so yeah.. thanks for the reply. How much would it cost and do you know where it is available? I've heard about something called MaxHonda?

traumatized
30-03-2008, 09:45 PM
Bilstein/Eibach is a springs and shocks combo where Bilstein is the shock brand and Eibach is the springs brand. however you cannot adjust the height in terms of how much you want to lower your car by as it is set on the spring height in the case of Eibach it will lower your car by 35mm

JN7
31-03-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm buying Tein SS off the trader on Ozhonda. $1300.. get that put on.. get some rims and all good!

Hey, what's this I hear about coilovers creaking or squeaking...

Reason why I'm going coilovers is cos that springs apparently run out and ruin the quality of the ride in the long run.. is that true?

Crapdaz
31-03-2008, 06:41 AM
I'm buying Tein SS off the trader on Ozhonda. $1300.. get that put on.. get some rims and all good!

Reason why I'm going coilovers is cos that springs apparently run out and ruin the quality of the ride in the long run.. is that true?

they both do but the springs and shock combo runs out slightly quicker depending which one you get, where as coilovers would cost more to ship and service them but would last alot longer.

That's in simple terms, but if anyone can correct me please do.

aaronng
31-03-2008, 08:10 AM

Springs don't run out. It's because of using lowered springs on stock shocks that the shocks are working outside of the designed range and undergo accelerated wear. The shocks wear out, not the springs.

JN7
31-03-2008, 02:08 PM
So how much would the Bilstein/Eibach combo lower my car by and how much would that cost?

tony1234
31-03-2008, 02:56 PM
So how much would the Bilstein/Eibach combo lower my car by and how much would that cost?
Approx.35mm.Approx.2K drive in drive out.

TRaNz
31-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Umm, have you though also about the rear camber kit?