PDA

View Full Version : Removing Headlight

paps02
29-03-2008, 07:43 PM
hey guys.

i have noticed that there must be a seal or something broken on my headlight as there is alot of condensation on the inside of the light... how do i remove it?

i have taken the 2 screws off on the top and the 1 on the inside (closest to radiator)... it wont come out.. are there more to take off or should i be able to wiggle it out now?

any help would be grand

Jarkz
29-03-2008, 08:07 PM
There will be another few screws supporting the H/L on the guard side.

It's best to fix the seal or housing to stop the condensation prob ,or another solution is to drill a small hole on the bottom of the H/L so any water vapour can escape. Thats if fixing the seal/housing doesn't work .

blk_shadow
29-03-2008, 10:14 PM
i have taken the 2 screws off on the top and the 1 on the inside (closest to radiator)... it wont come out.. are there more to take off or should i be able to wiggle it out now?

any help would be grand

2 bolts on the top, take off the fr bar, there is a bolt close to radiator, the other one is near the fender. and then remove the metal rail by removing the two bolts.

and finally you can take it off.

paps02
02-04-2008, 09:38 AM
i gave up..

will get them to fix it at service

Boban
03-04-2008, 09:39 PM
what shadow said, the bumper has to come off, it's a pain in the rear

patchwick
04-04-2008, 06:36 AM
i gave up..

will get them to fix it at service

c'mon dude! u can do it!! :thumbsup:

MaiCu84
04-04-2008, 07:18 AM
what boban said,
give it a go mate.

I found a site that will make it easier for ya. just need some tools.

How to remove your Bumper and Headlights on an EK (96-00) civic

1. Tools you will need are a
-star screw driver
-flat head screwdriver
-10mm socket
-8mm socket
-socket wrench that the 10 and 8mm socket fit on to

2. Start By propping up your hood, get your flat head screwdriver and take off all the black plastic clips above your grill (circled in red). Next use the 10mm socket to take off your headlight bolts (circled in yellow).

3. Now get under your car with the 10mm socket and take off the bolts in red. Beside the bolts will also be 2 star screws (not pictured but the only 2 screw under your bumper), remove them as well.

4. Now in your wheel well at the corner were the fender meets the bumper, you will see a hole in the fender lining (arrow pointing to area of hole and bolt, red circle around bolt), you need the 8mm socket and unscrew that bolt, one on each side of the bumper. (Be careful, bumper might slide off since these are the last bolts)

5.At this point, nothing will be holding the bumper to your car, grab onto the front of the bumper and pull away from the car, should come of very easy, if you have a hard time removing it, you missed a screw/bolt.

6. Now there are 2 screws holding each headlight in, one on each side of the headlight (both circled in red) remove them with the 10mm socket.

7. Your headlight is ready to come out, just pull out a little so you can put you hand behind the headlight and pop out the bulb harness and signal light, the harness just pulls out from the back of the headlight, and the signal light requires a twist and then pops out (both circled in red).

8. Installation is the reverse process; you might need someone to hold the bumper up to your car wile you put the first screws in. If no one is around, just put the bumper on and hold it with one hand, and get the plastic clips and stick 1 in.

For DIY pics go to the website below.
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_293386/tm.htm

paps02
04-04-2008, 08:20 AM
what boban said,
give it a go mate.

I found a site that will make it easier for ya. just need some tools.

How to remove your Bumper and Headlights on an EK (96-00) civic

1. Tools you will need are a
-star screw driver
-flat head screwdriver
-10mm socket
-8mm socket
-socket wrench that the 10 and 8mm socket fit on to

2. Start By propping up your hood, get your flat head screwdriver and take off all the black plastic clips above your grill (circled in red). Next use the 10mm socket to take off your headlight bolts (circled in yellow).

3. Now get under your car with the 10mm socket and take off the bolts in red. Beside the bolts will also be 2 star screws (not pictured but the only 2 screw under your bumper), remove them as well.

4. Now in your wheel well at the corner were the fender meets the bumper, you will see a hole in the fender lining (arrow pointing to area of hole and bolt, red circle around bolt), you need the 8mm socket and unscrew that bolt, one on each side of the bumper. (Be careful, bumper might slide off since these are the last bolts)

5.At this point, nothing will be holding the bumper to your car, grab onto the front of the bumper and pull away from the car, should come of very easy, if you have a hard time removing it, you missed a screw/bolt.

6. Now there are 2 screws holding each headlight in, one on each side of the headlight (both circled in red) remove them with the 10mm socket.

7. Your headlight is ready to come out, just pull out a little so you can put you hand behind the headlight and pop out the bulb harness and signal light, the harness just pulls out from the back of the headlight, and the signal light requires a twist and then pops out (both circled in red).

8. Installation is the reverse process; you might need someone to hold the bumper up to your car wile you put the first screws in. If no one is around, just put the bumper on and hold it with one hand, and get the plastic clips and stick 1 in.

For DIY pics go to the website below.
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_293386/tm.htm

u legend. ok this saturday i know what im doing!!

thanks again.

paps02
05-04-2008, 02:02 PM
need urgent assistance. my headlight pulb harness wont come out... the indicator and parker lighst are both out but not the headlight? what am i not doing right?

Sydsyd
05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
u mean the whole headlight bulb is not coming out? have a peek from the back of the headlight housing, there should be a wire holding the bulb base locked by a metal piece...

u need to push one end of that wire (should be curled if i remember) and move it to left (if it doesn't move, try right lol)...then u can get the bulb out from the housing

J_Phongsavan
06-04-2008, 07:33 PM
theres a silver metal piece holding the bulb in place, theres one screw holding the metal bit, unscrew it, take the metal out and you should be able to take the bulb straight off without any turns... buh remember before removing the metal piece where it sits so after it can be easy when putting it back on...

paps02
06-04-2008, 08:23 PM
i workd it out dudes thanks

connorling
07-04-2008, 02:27 AM
what shadow said, the bumper has to come off, it's a pain in the rear

it is indeed, especially when ur car is 10yrs+ old, the bolts for the front bumper is all rust, is a bitch to take it out.

i still remember trying to take the header off my EG 92, took me 5 hrs with a whole bottle of WD40