PDA

View Full Version : Coolant boiling???

wasabi-des
29-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Hey guys,

I've been having this weird coolant problem with my 92 Accord recently... Basically I've noticed that the level in the overflow bottle is constantly dropping and I'd have to top it up every 1000km's or so. The last time I did this, I also noticed green crud around the coolant lid & green runs down the bottle (i.e. it looks like the coolant is overflowing from the overflow reservoir).

I investigated this further and found that when I stop the engine after going for a drive, about 30 seconds later I can hear (air) bubbling noises in the overflow bottle & once it's full, it starts to overflow... The top radiator hose also feels full of air when I squeeze it at that point in time, which sort of sounded alarm bells for me. I've been keeping a close eye on the temp gauge & it hasn't been overheating at all; needle remains at half way, even after "spirited" driving.

One thing I should add is that the radiator & cap were replaced last month, whether that's got anything to do with it.

Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on what the problem might be... Does it sound like the coolant is boiling somewhere once the circulation stops? Is this normal or do I have a problem here? As long as I've owned the car, it’s always been the case that the coolant would move into the overflow reservoir after I'd stop the engine, but I don't ever remember it overflowing.

I've been thinking it might be a failing head gasket or something (considering the engine has done 328K km's), but haven't been able to convince myself... About 2 years ago I had similar coolant problems with my RX-7, where the coolant would move into the overflow bottle & not come back & eventually spill all over the driveway. There was also a distinct smell of exhaust gasses in the coolant, which was caused by the combustion gasses pressurising the cooling system due to a blown coolant seal (similar to a head gasket on a rotary). The Accord doesn’t have those distinct symptoms, so I’m skeptical about jumping to the conclusion that it might be the head gasket…

Anyway, I think I’ve ranted too much again. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

DLO01
29-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Hmm, well I am thinking head gasket.

If you are continually filling up coolant then then continually getting air in your system then the air is getting in somewhere, then is has to be from a cylinder past the headgasket.

Go to a mechanic and get a compression test.

Whats it like when starting cold in the mornings 1st time. Any problems at all? Stutters? Hessitations?

*edit* I re-read and saw your only filing up the coolant bottle every 1000kms or so. When the engine is cold, open up the radiator cap and make sure it is full.

JohnL
30-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Head gasket, sorry to say...