PDA

View Full Version : Grounding

RtN
29-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey what do you reckon if i've Ground the Head unit directly to a Grounding kit (I passed one of the cables from the grounding kit on the battery directly to the head unit through the firewall). Does that mean a Ground Loop is impossble?

Because im still getting the alternator whine despite everything I try... from directly connecting the Head unit to the battery.. changing locations of Grounding.. Testing a RCA cable running from outside the car.. so virtually not running next to the power cable!

Still alternator whine.... Guess best option for me is to go for a filter?

Also a Grounding Question not relating to this...

The Grounding cable from the Engine to the Chassis is it OK if I Ground each end? Despite having that stock cable there it doesnt matter right.. So Basically I put one Ground cable to the valve cover and another on the chassis and the 2 are connected by the stock grounding cable... thats not a Loop right?

bloodsword27
29-03-2008, 11:13 PM
hey man i reckon best bet is to get the filter if you;ve done everything as you have mentioned. sometimes it might just be a sensitive deck that picks up random crap that you cant detect, hence manufacturer doesnt have to replace/fix your one and u are stuck with it....

RtN
29-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Yeh thanks man I should try that hey.. Will let you guys know results.!

cutchorama
30-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Did you ground everything at the same place? I mean, HU, amps, LOC, EQ etc... Did you disconnectect the RCAs from the back of your amps and still notice noise? Did you disconnect each speaker and listen for noise? How long is the earth for your HU/ amps. Are you using factory ground points in your dash?

Are you using a stock HU?

zomg so many questions!

RtN
30-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Well i've isolated the incident to the headunit! Because i've disconnected the RCA and found out that that it WASN'T the amp or the connection from the amp to the speakers! Then I took it to the next step.. seeing if the RCA's were being interfered by power... however it wasnt because I connected a pair of RCA from head unit to outside car and then to the boot.. and still had alternator whine... Then it must be either the head unit alone or the Grounding.. My Ground for the Head unit is a cable directly from the battery to the head unit LOLOLOL hope that was a smart idea.. but still whine... so must be the internals of Head Unit? And no.. not running a stock Head unit..Yes im using the OEM Harness to connect to from my HU Harness except for the Ground wire.

bloodsword27
30-03-2008, 08:50 PM
oh yeah i reckon i know wat it is :D haha i work at JB btw.. its probs a bad earth on the deck, therefore not completely grounding the unit and somehow creates that whining noise. you can have it sent back for repairs if its still under warranty, otherwise open it up yourself and fix the earth if its out of warranty...

cutchorama
31-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Instead of grounding it straight to the battery, you should try to ground it with your amps. I'd imagine running it straight to the -ve battery terminal would have a massive potential difference to the amps that are running the whole length of your chassis. In a perfect situation, your amp and HU should share a common ground.

This would mean you would have to take your HU into the boot (assuming that is where your amp is).

RtN
31-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Oh I've tried grounding it with the Amp.. theres still alternator whine.. so must be bloodsword's idea will try soon! Thanks!

dundas
31-03-2008, 08:03 PM
i had the whine..
so i re-positioned my wires.. das the winner :D

my speaker wires ran all on one side.
power n ground all on one side ONLY including the blue remote wire

my rca's ran with the speaker wires also-

this eliminated my whine and now i have no more turbo wannabe noise :D

beeza
31-03-2008, 08:09 PM
It's so damn annoying but ya gotta just eliminate each possibility one by one.

RtN
31-03-2008, 08:10 PM
But yeh like I said it couldn't be the RCA because I ran one from outside the car so no where near power cables.. and still had whine.. I also plugged in an mp3 portable unit to the RCA jacks on the Amp.. and it was fine.... no whining noise there! So isolated to the head unit... but yeh will let you guys know if opening up the HU fixes it =]

beeza
31-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Sounds like your getting closer,hope U nail it soon.I had the same problem and my amp kept cutting out.Finially found the problem with the noise was just interference coming through the wires.Moved them around and that fixed it.The amp cutting out was because of a dodgy power cable.It had been cut and joined not so good.It's so rewarding driving with a pumpin' good stereo!

rahul
31-03-2008, 11:09 PM
try isolating your antenna wire. use a cable tie and try to seperate it as much as possible from the RCA's

RtN
31-03-2008, 11:45 PM
Umm I tried it both antenna connected and disconnected! Still.. lol