PDA

View Full Version : Cheap upgrades

gooders
01-04-2008, 01:00 PM
i recently purchased a 92 Civic Gl, as i am currently a student i am looking for cheap upgrades for my car. any help would be muchly appreciated

rice_civic
01-04-2008, 01:26 PM
go to honda dealer and ask them about the front lip. dunno if they still do them but they were bout 90-100 bucks when i looked into it.

rayb3na_
01-04-2008, 01:38 PM
do it right the first time around trust me u save alot of money in the long run even if it means u have to wait longer for the correct part.. dont make do like i did the first few times i now have heaps of old junk lying around that i end up just giving away or cutting up to use for something else..

joey99
01-04-2008, 02:09 PM
get a front and rear strut brace off ebay for about $50 each delivered ... I got one a few weeks ago and they're really good.

TheSaint
01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87459

have a look in there =)

Jump
01-04-2008, 02:33 PM
lower it and get some nice set of wheels

EuroDude
01-04-2008, 02:37 PM
go to honda dealer and ask them about the front lip. dunno if they still do them but they were bout 90-100 bucks when i looked into it.

Dealer and Cheap dont belong in the same sentence :p
Buy the parts from eBay ftw. Use Paypal only so ur protected.

If you are taking about engine upgrades, get a decent air intake filter (A K&N panel filter should suffice) and look into upgrading the exhaust. But dont expect a huge power increase.
If you want a decent power increase, the cheapest way may be to sell the car and buy an Si or VTi 1.6L 92-95 EG/EH. Turbo'ing the car would cost more than the car is worth.

Limbo
01-04-2008, 02:40 PM
do it right the first time around trust me u save alot of money in the long run even if it means u have to wait longer for the correct part.. dont make do like i did the first few times i now have heaps of old junk lying around that i end up just giving away or cutting up to use for something else..

Spot on. I did it the cheap way and ended up costing me more money in the end quite a few times. Doesn't mean you can't get good quality parts cheap though

simonnowis
01-04-2008, 03:23 PM
trying to buy cheap things you pretty much end up wasting money on sumthin that doesnt work or fit etc.
buying brand new is too much, its better off being patient and look through the parts for sale section for good 2nd hand parts.
you'll get things cheaper plus you get quality.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
01-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Doesn't mean you can't get good quality parts cheap though

There are plenty of bargains out there

You can also try using parts from the same cars as your era (can be made to fit/better mod from stock) if you notice there are HEAPS of dc2 parts forsale atm for pretty cheap :angel:

rayb3na_
01-04-2008, 04:28 PM
shogun i swear are u following me or something! LOL

Vtec R
01-04-2008, 06:13 PM
save up heaps and invest in a k20 dude

SHOGUNOVDDRK
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
shogun i swear are u following me or something! LOL

Nope sorry LOLOLOL

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t101/SHOGUNOVDDRK/The%20OWNAGE/yourgayestofall.jpg

(take note on the msn nickname on the person who is being gay)

save up heaps and invest in a k20 dude

LOL but patience is not everyone's virtue!

mrnivlek
01-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Start saving and transplant a b series engine into it, will be the best investment so far or start looking for some exterior parts eg; ctr front lip, rear ctr lips, spoon mirrors etc. Otherwise "Type R" stickers will do the trick :)

rice_civic
01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=EuroDude;1613281]Dealer and Cheap dont belong in the same sentence :p
Buy the parts from eBay ftw. Use Paypal only so ur protected.
:confused:
yeah your right 90 bucks is stupidly expensive. you could get some good quality rip off crap from ebay that you would be really happy with. like a honda badge that lights up or some mugen seat belt pads

TheSaint
01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
trying to buy cheap things you pretty much end up wasting money on sumthin that doesnt work or fit etc.
buying brand new is too much, its better off being patient and look through the parts for sale section for good 2nd hand parts.
you'll get things cheaper plus you get quality.

good advice!

look at the link i posted up...

all your questions are covered there

power_of_dreams
01-04-2008, 08:49 PM
depends on your definition of "cheap" rofl

SeverAMV
02-04-2008, 02:43 PM
theres nothing wrong with ebay strut braces. only bad side is that theyre not quite as light as some of the good stuff, but they still do their job. look around and you can find a front upper and lower, rear upper and lower and c pillar brace for $50 plus shipping, which is fairly cheap, and it does the job of reinforcing your chassis. look around more and you can find $17 4-2-1 extractrs (exact same design and dimensions as xforce), full exhaust kits for $50 made from stainless steel, etc. for bang per buck, cant really go past ebay.

rayb3na_
02-04-2008, 02:55 PM
ahh but for some weight is an issue especially if ur driving a stock eg lol you know what i mean!!

SeverAMV
02-04-2008, 02:58 PM
ahh but for some weight is an issue especially if ur driving a stock eg lol you know what i mean!!

its a 300g difference between something like a brand name strut brace and these cheapo ones. so with 4 of them, its a 1.2kg difference overall. if you're trying to reduce weight by that much, you're better off looking at yourself in the mirror rather than putting your car on scales. plus the stability it provides makes it worth it.

but then again, an eg is heavy compared to an ED. about 200-300kg difference.

hondajazz2005
02-04-2008, 04:32 PM
look around more and you can find $17 4-2-1 extractrs (exact same design and dimensions as xforce), full exhaust kits for $50 made from stainless steel, etc. for bang per buck, cant really go past ebay.

might look for something like this on ebay ... price is so tempting

SeverAMV
02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
its good bang per buck, and will give you about the same gain you'd get from an xforce, just at a much cheaper price.

if you want something really high performance, expect to fork out something like 700 for a tuned length of 35+ inch primaries in a 4-1 setup, that will give you monstrous power, but it doesnt match the bang per buck of an ebay kit.

Riviera
02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Dealer and Cheap dont belong in the same sentence :p

not entirly true ive found a fair few aftermarket parts to be dearer than dealer or same price.

bes to check with the dealer spare parts first its not as if your acutally gunna
buy it, your just after a price :thumbsup::thumbsup:

TheSaint
02-04-2008, 09:06 PM
ive got stuf cheap through dealers too

make friends with the parts guy =)