PDA

View Full Version : El Cheapo Euro DVD Install

C[H]aMeLeoN
04-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Here is my ICE install so far:

The player is a BenQ DVD Gem (dvd, vcd, svcd, mp3, jpg etc). It seems to run nicely so far. There is a little video interference though, probably the power. I may need to modify the power supply a little. It's hardly noticable though.

The screen is a Pyle 7" widescreen bought of Ebay. I didn't actually pay for it. Mate of mine bought it in return for a few favours. I think the LCD is a sharp like most other Ebay specials. The quality is better than I expected.

Edit: The screen is mounted where the sunglasses storage was. now I have no where for my sun glasses.

I've only recently found a source for the SNHOND3 from USA. I will probably order one next week. for the moment however, the audio is being fed to the FM radio via a Belkin fm modulator. I need to a ground isolator , coz its got a bit of engine buzz. The sound is pretty average, but its my only option at the moment.

What does the future hold:
I've got the CarPC almost finished. I just gotta get my hands on a power supply, a PCI tv-out card (trying to find one cheap), a few spare hours and some cash. The PC will probably run XP + Media Engine. originally wanted to run Geex Box or the current Gentoo installation, but I've got a few games I want to get going, so XP it is..
As I mentioned before, hopefully I'll get the SNHOND3 from usa. (wish honda had of considerd the modding community when they decided not to make something like this easliy available.) This will sort out the audio issues.

So far the whole thing's cost me $AU180. not too bad me thinks...

|N|
04-09-2004, 06:16 PM
very nicely done...

C[H]aMeLeoN
04-09-2004, 06:18 PM
More Pics.

[ slayer ]
04-09-2004, 08:15 PM
nice work!

A'PEXi
04-09-2004, 08:37 PM
nice, how did u manage to get the wiring down from the roof :P

C[H]aMeLeoN
04-09-2004, 09:22 PM
nice, how did u manage to get the wiring down from the roof :P
The moulding on the left side unclips very easily, and there is a faily large gap between the roof lining and the roof where it meets the front windscreen. Cabling just sat in there without any probs. Took me about 10 minutes in the dark on a thursday night. :)

Chi
04-09-2004, 09:26 PM
omg thats ****ing fantastic !!!

Top stuff !!

Civic Si
04-09-2004, 11:15 PM
That's pretty cool!

Good work there..!

[stealth]
05-09-2004, 12:25 AM
looks classy.. hows the picture quality like.. as expected?

C[H]aMeLeoN
05-09-2004, 09:22 AM
']looks classy.. hows the picture quality like.. as expected?

Ss i mentioned, there seems to be a little bit of interferance from the DVD av. i think its to do with the power, so I can probably fix it. using the AV out on my digicam makes the picture look quite good. It's also very clear in bright sun light.

wynode
05-09-2004, 10:21 AM
Nice.....very nice!

Coupla questions
1. How much does the Pyle screen go for?
2. What is SNHOND3?
3. So the only cost so far was the DVD player?

B|ade
05-09-2004, 02:24 PM
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/sounsnhond3.html

Thats wat the SNHOND3 is man.

Looks like its a box that allows u to run an auxillary source directly to the factory Euro radio. Pretty cool idea.

C[H]aMeLeoN
05-09-2004, 02:37 PM
Nice.....very nice!

Coupla questions
1. How much does the Pyle screen go for?
2. What is SNHOND3?
3. So the only cost so far was the DVD player?

1. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14946&item=5718357502&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
There are cheaper ones i think...
2. It allows you to hook up auxillary inputs into the stereo. The stereo only has an intereface for changers etc which needs to be modulated some how. There's heaps of info about them on the TSX forums.
3. It cost more, but the only cost for me was the player and the FM modulator.

Archangel
05-09-2004, 03:52 PM
That looks awesome.

I was going to do something like this but opted for a carry portable dvd player (also from ebay).

Seeing what you've done with yours makes me wish somewhat i had done an in car unit!

Nice work!

yfin
05-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Well done- that looks great! So it is not easy to plug into the AUX at the back of the Euro sound system (ie no RCA connection)?

There is the optional cassete and MP3 player that I presume connects via some sort of AUX connection...

What I am getting at - is it absolutely necessary to buy the SNHOND3 to input into the stereo?

C[H]aMeLeoN
05-09-2004, 07:21 PM
Well done- that looks great! So it is not easy to plug into the AUX at the back of the Euro sound system (ie no RCA connection)?

There is the optional cassete and MP3 player that I presume connects via some sort of AUX connection...

What I am getting at - is it absolutely necessary to buy the SNHOND3 to input into the stereo?

yep. the options you mention all use the special input. no RCAs. The other connector available is the ICE link for Ipods. it lets you use the steering wheel controls as well.

Z
05-09-2004, 07:58 PM
THats a sweet setup. I was thinking of doing sumthing similar a while back but using my ps2 as the source device, but didnt follow through because i figured i would want to use the ps2 in the house as well. THe benq dvd thing is a nice alternative. Might hook sumthing like that up down the track...

great work :thumbsup:

bigdongers
06-09-2004, 03:15 AM
Thats a neat install there. I got 2 questions if you dont mind :)

1. how did you mount the screen up there? ie remove the sunglasses holder and bolt to the roof using existing holes?

2. did you drill holes in the cubby area to fit the benq wires through the back?

kanthan
06-09-2004, 08:57 AM
i assume you have the normal euro? I had a look at my euro (luxury) today and it has a side airbags badge there....so therefore there must be some sort of side/curtain air bags there. so not at option for luxury owners. I am thinking of placing the screen in the console area beneath the cd player....should be able to mount a single din screen there...with space for a dvd player beneath it or in the dash.

C[H]aMeLeoN
06-09-2004, 10:22 AM
i assume you have the normal euro? I had a look at my euro (luxury) today and it has a side airbags badge there....so therefore there must be some sort of side/curtain air bags there. so not at option for luxury owners. I am thinking of placing the screen in the console area beneath the cd player....should be able to mount a single din screen there...with space for a dvd player beneath it or in the dash.

I'm confused. :confused: Where abouts is the side air bag badge? and why does it affect the sun glasses holder?

I thought about putting the screen in the console for a while as well. Read about a few people that have done it. They all complained about car sickness.

kanthan
06-09-2004, 10:31 AM
U ran your cabling along the left hand side pillar? theres an airbag sign on there for the luxury version. Unless i read wrong, how else can you run the cables back down to the stereo?

I dont mind it being in the console as it will be really only used for gps, and maybe dvd playback when the car is stationary.

HRV-80Y
06-09-2004, 03:38 PM
not bad man looks sweet!! but too bad its not as big as my kenwood 8" wide/touchscreen hehe all good gets boring tho'....but join 2 club of havn ICE (IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT)

Javed
06-09-2004, 03:58 PM
who gives a flying fu** how big your screen is HRV-80Y!

Nice job on the euro mate, looks really clean, and on a good budget! Well done!

Krim
10-09-2004, 04:56 PM
As title says, how did you provide a power source to the DVD player and screen. Have you hooked itup to your car battery ? If so what tools, hardware do you need to do this ? (prices, place of purchase etc)

Id like to have ICE as my Headunit has DVD control. All i need is the actual unit to take a DVD and a screen.

Does anyone know of such a unit that can fit in a single DIN or do i need to replace my HU with a cd/dvd player ?

Cheers,

Krim.

C[H]aMeLeoN
10-09-2004, 09:23 PM
As title says, how did you provide a power source to the DVD player and screen. Have you hooked itup to your car battery ? If so what tools, hardware do you need to do this ? (prices, place of purchase etc)

Id like to have ICE as my Headunit has DVD control. All i need is the actual unit to take a DVD and a screen.

Does anyone know of such a unit that can fit in a single DIN or do i need to replace my HU with a cd/dvd player ?

Cheers,

Krim.

Power: the player takes a 6v source i think. I bought one of those adjustable cigarette lighter thingies AGES ago. so, I dug it out of the cupbuoard, gutted it, hard wired it and hooked it up. as for the screen, its takes any 12 v source unregulated.

Both devices could run out of the cigarette lighter, so i simply wired it to the ciggarette lighter circuit. thats about it.. :)

Pum[Z]
14-09-2004, 04:28 AM
Awesome Install... Its really good to see that people are doing Custom Installs on their Accord Euro... Whats best is that i respect people that do DIY, your a originator moite...
Mugen Accessories.

C[H]aMeLeoN
14-09-2004, 12:13 PM
']
Honda Accord Euro Luxury 04
NightHawk Black Pearl, 6MT
Limo Tint, 19inch Chrome Alloys, D2 Adjustable Suspension, Injen CAI,
Mugen Accessories.

wanna swap cars?

!JonZap!
03-10-2004, 11:44 AM
nice work, two thumbs up

PERTH_EURO
03-10-2004, 12:13 PM
aMeLeoN']The moulding on the left side unclips very easily, and there is a faily large gap between the roof lining and the roof where it meets the front windscreen. Cabling just sat in there without any probs. Took me about 10 minutes in the dark on a thursday night. :)

Does your model have the side curtain airbags?
If it does, do you think that running the wires down there will affected the possible deployment of the airbag system?

I ask as I have to run some cables from the map lights to the boot, but every pillar has airbags!

C[H]aMeLeoN
12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
No side curtains in the standard. not sure how else you'd do it, unless you ran cables up the centre pillers between the doors maybe...

PERTH_EURO
13-10-2004, 04:02 PM
got it sorted.

The wire i need to run is very very thin, and there is enough play in the way the actual door seal sits to be able to tuck it under there