PDA

View Full Version : Questions about cams

vincikwan
01-04-2008, 09:14 PM
What is the wildest cam i can fit to my b18c without changing anything? No valve springs or anything at all. Meaning i just buy the cams and fit it in. Is there such a thing?

Would it even be a waste of time to fit it? (pls justify why)

Thanks for the advise guys!

dsp26
01-04-2008, 09:20 PM
heres a good start:
http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/32363/fpart/1

vincikwan
01-04-2008, 09:29 PM
Civic Type-R And Integra Type-R(Integra Type R 2000/01 Spec)
Int-243 dur. / 11.5mm lift
Exh-235 dur. / 10.5mm lift

Valve Springs to be used: Stock B16A/GSR if using stock 8200 re-limit. Integra Type-R if using rev limit over 8200rpms. Mugen Valve Springs can also be used.

Description: These are great, reliable cams for the money. You can pick up a set for as little as $550.00 new if you are lucky! They will give good gains from midrange all the way until 8400rpms. These cams have stock idle characteristics.

Toda Spec A
Int-290 dur. / 11.6mm lift
Exh-280 dur. / 11.2mm lift

Valve Springs to be used: Integra Type-R up to 8800rpms or Toda valve springs for all operations.

Description: One of my favorite set of cams. Toda does not actually mix and match their cams but they are similarly tied when it comes to power. The Toda A will offer the midrange gain of a Type-R cam but the high-end gain(put not overall peak power) of the Toda B cam. These cams will have gains from midrange to 8800rpms with peak gains concentrated on 7000-7800rpms. These cams are great for a street motor and are really nice for cars equipped with a stock B18C5 motor (no valvetrain or ECU requirements needed). These are the only Toda cams to retain stock idle characteristics. I recommend using Toda cam gears with these cams.

So the higher the duration the better or the higher the lift the better? I dont know how to read the specs and how to decipher them.

vincikwan
02-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Yeah, i am driving a 2001 dc2-r. So i guess i should be going for the toda spec a or something less i guess...

TheSaint
02-04-2008, 02:00 AM
how much would a toda spec A set of cams set u back? will the spec A or spec B effect idol or normal driving much?

and can u fit them to b16a2?

is it a hard process to fit them yourself?

also does anyone know if u can get a skunk 2 IM for b16a2?

DLO01
02-04-2008, 06:39 AM
Toda A's are ok with stock Type R springs. Its been done before, Barefoot had these in his stock itr engine. Your not going to get uber high rpm power so the stock limiter can remain. Are you even getting it tunned? Or just dropping them in?

Really though you should be looking the other way around. Making sure you have the right gear to support your cams, its good insurance.

teh_mechanic
02-04-2008, 07:19 AM
just a little read about what can happen when you run bigger cams without upgraded springs and retainers.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1614763#post1614763

you cant just go throwing big cams in on stock springs,it ends in disaster,stock dc2r springs can be taken a bit further,but too a point,toda a is about as far as i would push them.

dsp26
02-04-2008, 07:20 AM
as clayemoer and DL001 said...

heres a perfect example of what DL001 is saying regarding insurance....
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1611946#post1611946

the combination of duration/lift is what determines the 'ramp' rate of the lobes...

obviously with a high duration/lift combination of the second profile it would be significantly higher than the lower lobe especially for massive cams.... the reason you need the stifer springs is to ensure they can seat against the valves and push them down quick enough as the steeper ramp will make the valves go up and down faster if that makes sense... if your springs are too soft your valves may 'float' which could result in the valves staying down at high rpm while the piston is on its way back up resulting in piston slap...

vincikwan
02-04-2008, 01:27 PM
I dont want heaps of power. i came from a S15 so no matter what power the dc2 puts out, its not enough. I just want to mod it up a little with at most a toda spec A. but i do not want to spend heaps of cash to support the cam mods(example, ecu, springs). I already got a vafc tuned by chasers. i will also be getting camgears. so after fitting the camgears and cams, i will retune the vafc again.

Think it will work out this way?

DLO01
02-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes as long as everyone knows what they are doing. :thumbsup:

bennjamin
02-04-2008, 01:46 PM
if you want to take advantage of any aftermarket camset , please atleast replace the stock valvesprings/retainers with new OEM parts. And get a better ECU such as powerFC , hondata or chrome etc

vincikwan
02-04-2008, 02:07 PM
i wont get a pfc as i will be planning to change car within 1 years time. Dont thing toda spec A require pfc anyway...as long as the tuner is good. I'll either tune my car with chasers or akmotorworks. Might consider replacing the OEM springs too. But all depending on my cash flow...saving up for an evo now.

bennjamin
02-04-2008, 02:09 PM
IMO leave your car stock as is and save money up for the EVO.

Its official , putting any amount of money into your B18c wont improve power all that much. Just strip some weight and have some fun donw the 1/4 and track for now.

xtercii
02-04-2008, 03:01 PM
i am a bit puzzled ben, on what basis you are saying it's official that you don't get power out of modding a b18c?

TheSaint
02-04-2008, 09:10 PM
so a toda spec A cam will give an all round nice boost to performance but nothing special? im not keen about high end power either, just want something to play with

if i had a b16a2 and got a toda spec A cam, can u order and use oem CTR or ITR valves + retainers?

what other internal parts need to be changed?

vincikwan
02-04-2008, 09:46 PM
i am a bit puzzled ben, on what basis you are saying it's official that you don't get power out of modding a b18c?

I think he means that you will not get massive (200kw) power after spending loads on the b18c. As in keeping the NA characteristics too. I find turbo charging a honda is destroying what honda is trying to stand for. In the recent years, all hondas are kept NA. So IMHO, i think hondas are made to stay NA. If u want turbo, buy a S15.

bennjamin
02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Yup as above. $ per KW we all know there is not much to be made on most NA engines - especially considering how highly tuned these are from factory.
Point is to this guy , is to save his money and spend it on a EVO that he is saving up for.

teh_mechanic
02-04-2008, 11:00 PM
coming from an s15 and saving up for an evo,leave your dc2 as it is unless you like flushing money down the toilet to see how fast it spins.

what i mean is the money you put into cams/springs/retainers wont get you the gains it seems you are looking for.honda na engines are built with dedication and an overall view of engine,suspension and brakes as a package,its not a one night stand that blows your mind with huge kw figures like the sr20det

TheSaint
02-04-2008, 11:16 PM
coming from an s15 and saving up for an evo,leave your dc2 as it is unless you like flushing money down the toilet to see how fast it spins.

what i mean is the money you put into cams/springs/retainers wont get you the gains it seems you are looking for.honda na engines are built with dedication and an overall view of engine,suspension and brakes as a package,its not a one night stand that blows your mind with huge kw figures like the sr20det

rofl quotes hall of fame

can anyone aproach my questions or should i start a new thread?

vincikwan
03-04-2008, 12:09 AM

I said i do not want massive power. i like the dc2 because it is a good overall car. whats wrong with alittle bit more power? kw without control is nothing mate....

DLO01
03-04-2008, 06:35 AM
so a toda spec A cam will give an all round nice boost to performance but nothing special? im not keen about high end power either, just want something to play with

if i had a b16a2 and got a toda spec A cam, can u order and use oem CTR or ITR valves + retainers?

what other internal parts need to be changed?

Toda A's are a bit more aggressive than ITR cams. At minimum, use ITR springs/retainers, and tune.

Check traders for items. Also the local honda man.

TheSaint
03-04-2008, 02:40 PM
so i can get ITR cams from a honda dealer and put them into a b16a2?

also will i need the ITR cam gears? or should i get after market ones?

seems its way easier to mod a b18... ive already been down that road though so i was gona try something different with the b16