PDA

View Full Version : CAI in the rain

Mikes_DC5R
02-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Hey guys... Since its Autumn and its raining, just a little concern while driving

should us guys with CIA be concerned in anyway???

example... Avoid full throttle in heavy rain??? Do not drive through a Flooded area... <--- obvious

Im just thinking am i better off installing my stock air box back during the rainy season goes on.

cheers

Q_ball
02-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Whats a CIA?

Zilli
02-04-2008, 02:56 PM
obviously he means CAI dude

Mr_will
02-04-2008, 03:01 PM
dude i would assume the CIA have raincoats and umbrella, ella, ella, eh eh's just like everyone else.

mikul_ha
02-04-2008, 03:19 PM
u'll be fine

rawr
02-04-2008, 03:22 PM
you should only be concerned when you drive through areas that would submerge the pod filter. Rain itself isnt enuf to affect it.

If you do encounter a puddle avoid throttle.

aznpsuazn
02-04-2008, 03:26 PM
You can purchase this purpose made umbrella for a CAI.
http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=20

AEM’s patented Air Bypass Valve virtually eliminates the chance of hydro-lock in the event the filter of your AEM Cold Air induction system becomes submerged in water. On most systems, the valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe and shuts down induction at the filter when it becomes submerged, rerouting air through its external diaphragm to keep water out and air flowing in.

andiiso
02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
nothings gonna happen
adrian (toda) took me thru massive puddles to show me it wouldnt do shit
and it didnt
the rain problem that dc5's get has nothing to do with cai's cos it happens with stock airboxes too

u talkin about just dc5s yer ? cos CivicSi on these forums went into puddle during the massive rain in melbourne and bent rods lolz (with a cai)

bennjamin
02-04-2008, 07:33 PM
depends purely on design.

there is ONE type - where the pod filter sits in the guard or bumper - this can hydrolock your car ( proven on many times)

If you have this design , take care to avoid puddles of water. Any other water ( rain / hail etc) is fine

johnprocter
02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
i might be purchasing the Fujita CAI for the euro, should i be concerned with rain and puddles?

andiiso
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
depends purely on design.

there is ONE type - where the pod filter sits in the guard or bumper - this can hydrolock your car ( proven on many times)

If you have this design , take care to avoid puddles of water. Any other water ( rain / hail etc) is fine

ahkz cheers man, that clears it up a little cos yer he had a cai in guard im pretty sure.

rawr
02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
i might be purchasing the Fujita CAI for the euro, should i be concerned with rain and puddles?

same advice as above if possible avoid puddles, all other water is fine

IT ONLY OCCURS WHEN THE POD IS SUBMERGED IN WATER

if you go through a situation where the pod is submerged in water dont apply throttle if possible and when you get home just do that thing u do when ur car gets hydro locked just to be safe

johnprocter
02-04-2008, 08:42 PM
same advice as above if possible avoid puddles, all other water is fine

IT ONLY OCCURS WHEN THE POD IS SUBMERGED IN WATER

if you go through a situation where the pod is submerged in water dont apply throttle if possible and when you get home just do that thing u do when ur car gets hydro locked just to be safe
could u go into a bit more detail lol

teh_mechanic
02-04-2008, 11:09 PM
my pod is in my front bar and for my peace of mind i just coast (no throttle) when i go through puddles more than 10cm or so deep.

rain does nothing,but i do try and avoid going out on 'spirited runs' on rainy nights to not get my engine wet inside and because theres no grip anyway.

for the above post, if the pod is submerged in water,hypothetically if it happened to me, when i got home i would take off the throttle body and take the spark plugs out and squirt some oil in there,leave it sit a minute or so to seep down then start the car....it will be hard to start because the oil is in there but hopefully the oil stops rust.anyone else got different ideas?

if your car really does hyrdolock from your pod being submerged your pretty much stuffed,hydrolock is not a little bit of water in there,its enough water/oil to not allow your piston to fully compress.it does damage

Riced_Civic
03-04-2008, 07:01 AM
i just take mine out for winter and change it when it gets sunny again

johnprocter
03-04-2008, 07:24 AM
hmmm i'm thinking of putting in a short ram instead now.. i really dont want my engine to **** up LOL

Riviera
03-04-2008, 07:53 AM
well unless your pod is like really deep down inside the guard, ur not going to
have a problem with just rain. the only way its going to cause a problem is if
you give the guard a puddle and enough time to fill up, its not called a
guard/fender for nothing, naturally it would protect you resonator or
washer botle or what ever is down in there...

i have a short ram and have now boxed it and ran ducting and make a scoop
in the front bumper thats my CAI fix lol when i first installed it water was still
getting in the duct cause it was too close to open air but its moved back and
got a scoop with no bottom so the water drains off befor it gets to the duct

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/22032008134.jpg

Bit of Ali i used for he scoopeeeee
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/24032008160.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/24032008169.jpg

Boxed in Pod, made out of ACM sheet, composite material with 3 layers - Ali,plastic,Ali
then i layered the inside with rubber matting to deaden the sound and stop the pod tapping
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/24032008175.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u148/Riviera001/24032008177.jpg

rawr
05-04-2008, 12:21 PM
Sorry for late reply but to john procter

pretty much what the mechanic said is correct from my knowledge. I'm sure if you call up a decent mechanic there would be one or two more remedies that could be added but from my limited knowledge taking out the sparkies and spraying oil would be a first thing to do.

Killa From Manila
05-04-2008, 12:24 PM
who the fcuk wud drive their car thru foot deep water neway.......

Mikes_DC5R
06-04-2008, 10:10 AM
all great tips,

thanks heaps guys

souljah
10-04-2008, 08:34 AM
If your really concerned, there is a Injen Hydro shield Pre filter

http://ozhonda.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8615&stc=1&d=1207780338

"For that added protection during those unsure moments, Injen Technology’s HYDRO-SHIELD PRE-FILTERS are race proven material manufactured from highly durable polyester. Uniform micron openings allow the filtering of debris .005” or larger. The HYDRO-SHIELD PRE-FILTERS are factory treated using an embedded hydrophobic process, which offers consistent airflow, water repellency and maintains horsepower gains. Please note that this item is water repellent, not water proof)"

Don't think you'll really need it though