PDA

View Full Version : Civic EG won't start

kyobibi
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi guys,

My gf has a 92 civic dual carby which used to start on the first crank of the engine everytime without fail.

Now out of nowhere it just won't start.
The engine tries to turn but it just won't start up.

The battery isnt flat as we have dashlights, radio, headlights etc..
Even tried jumper cables just to see..

Nothing's changed, we havent touched it at all.

Any ideas fellas?

95civic
02-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Could it be the ignition coil?

kyobibi
02-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm not sure?
How would I check this?

95civic
02-04-2008, 08:41 PM
The only way to check i think is to get a replacement ICM ( Ignition Control Module ). I have been told that you can buy this seperate to the whole disributor but I'm not sure where to look for this.

teh_mechanic
02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
dont just jump to ICM

take a fuel line off and crank the engine.does fuel come out,yes?good.
take a spark plug lead off and put a screwdriver in it and put it a couple of millimetres away from the rocker cover,crank the engine,does the screwdriver spark between the rocker cover?

either fuel or spark is missing for the engine not to run.find which one and then atleast you know which path to follow

dc2dc2dc2
02-04-2008, 11:16 PM
happend to me.
turned out to be dizzy.

aznpsuazn
02-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Happened to me, turned out to be shot fuel pump.

kyobi
02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
thanks guys..
sounds a small wear and tear issue if its any of the above suggestions
hopefully it doesnt out to be something serious :)

teh_mechanic
02-04-2008, 11:30 PM
the above two posts show you that it could as easily be fuel as it could be spark.find out which one it is.

if theres no fuel.its most like the fuel pump.
if theres no spark its most likely dizzy or bits inside it (cap and rotor,coil,Ignition control module)

zco
02-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Hi guys,

My gf has a 92 civic dual carby which used to start on the first crank of the engine everytime without fail.

Now out of nowhere it just won't start.
The engine tries to turn but it just won't start up.

The battery isnt flat as we have dashlights, radio, headlights etc..
Even tried jumper cables just to see..

Nothing's changed, we havent touched it at all.

Any ideas fellas?

theres your problem right there

her car dont have fuel pump. check dizzy

teh_mechanic
02-04-2008, 11:44 PM
agreed.the carby system is an oldy but a goody,its mostly mechanical so fuel is probably fine.dizzy is playing up.if the carbon tip in the dizzy cap is ok,the rotor button looks ok,and theres not too much carbon build up on the 4 points in the dizzy cap then its an internal dizzy fault.

a long shot since its carby is also that it is just flooded from you cranking constantly.

check dizzy cap and rotor,check that the spark plugs arnt fouled ( fouled - tips are black and oily looking)

kyobi
02-04-2008, 11:49 PM
thanks!
will do!

ralph_ef9
03-04-2008, 03:00 AM
there are only three things to start a engine: spark,fuel, and compression also with the right timing..
u can take off the spark plug and smell it then u can tell the fuel is coming or not
also take one lead off and put on a spare spark plug to check the spark..
if everything is good then check ur timing belt....

rayb3na_
06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
yeah dude pretty much same problem with me before either spark dizzy or compression? check fuel first if its not getting fuel could be main relays shot, if no spark could be sparks leads dizzy etc just trace it back can give u a hand if u want nam!