PDA

View Full Version : Euro Ravs low when still

victor_0012001
03-04-2008, 10:29 AM
Hello everyone,

Sorry maybe this issue has been discussed before ,but I cannot find relating topic by searching the forum.

Mine is Euro 04's lux auto stock, the problem is when the car stands still the revs is only around 600 / 700 rpms, I think it's lower than everage (normal), isn't it?

I just wonder how much revs does everyone normally have when the car is resting? Any opinion or advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Crapdaz
03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Mine is a manual 04 model and is around that range when stationary.

EuroDude
03-04-2008, 10:54 AM
The K24A3 revs at 650rpm, yes its a bit lower than usual, I guess i-VTEC has something to do with it.

victor_0012001
03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
I mean the rev is pointing at only slightly above 500 rpm when resting, is that normal? Besides, when the car is off on road, the engine is not quite responsive between 1000 – 2000 rpm (lack of torque?) until revd above 2000 or 2500, and then the performance appears. So I just wonder is it the way Euro (VTEC) is designed like. (Since I never drive a Honda before)
I drove a 97 Camry before and the car is actually quite responsive at low rev, while my Euro is not quite responsive at low revs as a comparison, of course when revs reaches 2500 or higher, Euro smokes Camry. But I mean at low rev, I just can’t feel any power. So I wonder if anyone’s Euro is like this?

tony1234
03-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I mean the rev is pointing at only slightly above 500 rpm when resting, is that normal? Besides, when the car is off on road, the engine is not quite responsive between 1000 – 2000 rpm (lack of torque?) until revd above 2000 or 2500, and then the performance appears. So I just wonder is it the way Euro (VTEC) is designed like. (Since I never drive a Honda before)
I drove a 97 Camry before and the car is actually quite responsive at low rev, while my Euro is not quite responsive at low revs as a comparison, of course when revs reaches 2500 or higher, Euro smokes Camry. But I mean at low rev, I just can’t feel any power. So I wonder if anyone’s Euro is like this?
This is typical of a Euro auto.It's due to the high gearing.The manual doesn't have this problem.

victor_0012001
03-04-2008, 02:13 PM
This is typical of a Euro auto.It's due to the high gearing.The manual doesn't have this problem.

So it is actually normal for auto Euro... if it's true I am a little disppointed with Euro's low rev performance...(high revs is perfect though)

Guys who have auto Euros, what are your experiences? You think your Euro have enough power at lower range revs or not.

EuroDude
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Was the 97 camry a 4cyl or V6?

4cyl's tend to have low power at low rev, but makes up for it at mid-high revs by using vtec.
honda engines love to rev high so you can keep the revs higher than normal.

victor_0012001
03-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Was the 97 camry a 4cyl or V6?

4cyl's tend to have low power at low rev, but makes up for it at mid-high revs by using vtec.
honda engines love to rev high so you can keep the revs higher than normal.

The Camry is a 4cyl's, its high revs is dead, but it seems to be more responsive at low revs (under 2000).
Maybe as you said I've got used to drive a Camry, but the Euro is a totally different drive, so I need to adopt its driving style - revs harder : D

victor_0012001
03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Thank you Crapdaz, Tony1234,Euordude, for replying me so quickly.
I'd like to collect more ideas from other friends, specially people having auto euro. To make my topic clear, I agian address the two issues:
1. revs when the car is standing (mine is only slightly above 500 rpm, maybe 600 rpm..);
2. low revs performance 1/2000 rpm (personally I cannot feel power this range)
I just want to know if my car is normal like this, so i'd like to hear more thoughts. thx !

eurosp
03-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't higher Rev means more Petro? Do you really want that with Todays Patro price?

victor_0012001
03-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Correct me if I am wrong. Doesn't higher Rev means more Petro? Do you really want that with Todays Patro price?

Haha, of course that's not what I want. I'm not really a car enthusiastic, so my knowedge is very limited.
It's just becasue the cars I've driven before generally had higher revs when standing (on everage about 700rpm) So you reckon for my case, this is all normal for Honda Euro.

EuroDude
03-04-2008, 03:49 PM
If the engine is idling below 650rpm, that can be caused by a number of things.

A/C taking too much power from the engine (but the engine should compensate and rise the revs)
Dirty Air filter. Check/Clean it or replace it if necessary.
Clogged Fuel Filter. Replace it if its old.
Dirty throttle body or injectors, but that shouldn't be the case since the car is only a few years old.

Try resetting the ECU and see how that goes, this will force the ECU to re-learn how to run the engine. To do this, remove the BACKUP fuse, or simply disconnect the battery for a minute. The drivers power window will fail to auto-wind after the battery is disconnected, but all you need to do is wind the window down, hold it down for another 2 seconds, wind the window up, then hold it up for 2 seconds

ps. keeping the revs higher while cruising wont use much more petrol. Acceleration is the big fuel guzzler.

aaronng
03-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Check the airfilter first. Also, are you using 91, 95 or 98 RON petrol?

Blitzen
03-04-2008, 10:49 PM
mine idles at 500rpm, and I'm loving it! I turn off all electrical accessories, lights, stereo, a/c, everything, and the car just sit's still in Neutral, and it's not grasping for a breath, it's just fine~

victor_0012001
04-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Check the airfilter first. Also, are you using 91, 95 or 98 RON petrol?

I use bp ultimate

tony1234
04-04-2008, 08:15 AM
As aaronng says 1st.check air filter. then fuel filter.Maybe run a good injector cleaner like the one from Redline.Due to the age of your Euro it's possible it needs an injector service.how many Kms has it done?

victor_0012001
04-04-2008, 08:29 PM
As aaronng says 1st.check air filter. then fuel filter.Maybe run a good injector cleaner like the one from Redline.Due to the age of your Euro it's possible it needs an injector service.how many Kms has it done?

thank you guys for helping me out! yep, I'll get the air filter checked tomorrow and also change a good brand engine oil (something like mobil 1) then have a good run to see if it improves : ) I'll share the result later tomorrow.

Tony: mine is 04 model with around 40k kms, it hasn't been driven a lot but as you said coz of its age, I will run a good injector cleaner if the above methods don't help.

aaronng
04-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Engine oil will be alright if you used 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 or 10w-40.
At 40k, your fuel filter should be ok. The last thing left is the air filter. So check that. Change it if it is black.

tony1234
05-04-2008, 10:00 AM
thank you guys for helping me out! yep, I'll get the air filter checked tomorrow and also change a good brand engine oil (something like mobil 1) then have a good run to see if it improves : ) I'll share the result later tomorrow.

Tony: mine is 04 model with around 40k kms, it hasn't been driven a lot but as you said coz of its age, I will run a good injector cleaner if the above methods don't help.

Yeah,change engine oil,i use Elf 5W30 $55,full synthetic,then take it for a blast down the freeway and hit vtec a few times and im sure you,ll notice an improvement.

victor_0012001
07-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Sorry for not been able to reply at the weekend as it's been a really busy weekend. Yep, i replaced the old air filter with a new one, the old one looks pretty dusty and can even see some dead body of some kinds of little insects.... Just found out the car has just been serviced a month ago with Honda oil already filled in, so maybe not really in a hurry to replace with new oil. But I have bought 5L Mobil 1 10w-30 and will put it in at next service since I really want to check out if most praised mobil 1 will make any dramatic difference to the engine... : )

Crapdaz
08-04-2008, 10:10 AM
sorry to hijack but...

yeh how good is mobil 1? how often you change your pod filter?
atm i am using motul 4100 turbolight 5W40 and it lets the car rev more freely

aaronng
08-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Sorry for not been able to reply at the weekend as it's been a really busy weekend. Yep, i replaced the old air filter with a new one, the old one looks pretty dusty and can even see some dead body of some kinds of little insects.... Just found out the car has just been serviced a month ago with Honda oil already filled in, so maybe not really in a hurry to replace with new oil. But I have bought 5L Mobil 1 10w-30 and will put it in at next service since I really want to check out if most praised mobil 1 will make any dramatic difference to the engine... : )

Did changing the air filter help?

victor_0012001
08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
sorry to hijack but...

yeh how good is mobil 1? how often you change your pod filter?
atm i am using motul 4100 turbolight 5W40 and it lets the car rev more freely

haven't changed to mobil 1 I will change by end of this week

victor_0012001
08-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Did changing the air filter help?

I didn't feel big difference, but the more I get used driving the Euro, the more I like it. even though still when the revs is low it doesn't rock ,but when revs up above just 2000rpms, it flys! not to mention the auto gear always try to stay in the right gear to let the car revs most happily. I will change mobil 1 oil sometime this week and hopefully will bring my Euro more strenghth!?:p

aaronng
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I didn't feel big difference, but the more I get used driving the Euro, the more I like it. even though still when the revs is low it doesn't rock ,but when revs up above just 2000rpms, it flys! not to mention the auto gear always try to stay in the right gear to let the car revs most happily. I will change mobil 1 oil sometime this week and hopefully will bring my Euro more strenghth!?:p

If your current oil is still new, changing the oil will make only a small difference.

ShAwNeX
08-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I've got a stock auto 04 model. When the engine has been warmed up it revs at around 700 rpm @ idle. And I'm pretty sure the Euro was designed to be unresponsive and not very torquey in the lower rev range.

victor_0012001
08-04-2008, 01:46 PM
:thumbsup: thx everyone, now I feel the car should be all right! the only thing left for me is to see after changing mobil 1 oil the engine feels even stronger

kenshinfan1
18-12-2009, 10:29 PM
I have a similiar problem. mine is manual and after i got it back from a service for a creaking clutch found the car to be unresponsive (no power and hard to get into high revs)

also before taking in for service a little bit of gas would make the car go but now almost have to floor it and it is drinking petrol like crazy.

what have the guys at servicing done???!!!! ARGVH

ticktock
21-01-2010, 09:21 PM
kenshinfan1 I have the same problem, but it's much more noticeable in really hot weather. Like today it was 40 degrees in Adelaide and I have ZERO power or acceleration for a good 2 seconds when putting my foot down. Extremely noticeable. It's an '06 auto.

Every now and then I get this happening in colder weather, usually when I've slowed down to round a corner I then put the foot down and there's a lack of power.. Other times it's fine.

I told the service dept about this at my last service and apparently they ran some sort of computer test but they found nothing wrong.. :thumbdwn: