PDA

View Full Version : EG; Wiring in external taco..

Rivic
03-04-2008, 04:51 PM
ive brought a digital taco for my eg its got a earth, power and one other green lead which obviously goes to your taco, anyone help me on which wire to hook up to on the back of the cluster?...

sid
03-04-2008, 05:17 PM
Find a wiring diagram for your cluster and go from there. You will then know what wire is what.

Basically, you connect it to the signal wire which is usually a solid blue wire going in to the back of the instrument panel, tap it in to that.

Rivic
03-04-2008, 05:37 PM
can ya get wiring diagrams off the net?

nick_sixx
03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
its a blue wire on the left hand plug-harness thing, about 8 wires down or so.

Boban
03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
^he knows, he has one in his car :p

A.G.System
03-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Or you can run the wire through the firewall and onto the plug the arrow is pointing too on the pic below.

This saves having to take the dash apart.

Its located on the back of the drivers side strut tower

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY/99_Civic_/chris3.jpg

Rivic
16-04-2008, 09:50 PM
need some help! dunno if its the tacho the prob or wot.. ive connected to the blue wire at the back of the instrument cluster and just had the earth and power wires from the external tacho i just powered off a spare battery ive got.

now,
whern i start the car (before i start it its lit up cause its powered from the battery) it flashes all numbers like its not reading properly then jsut turns of.
the tacho in the dash works fineand dunno if its a problem with my external one or should i actually wire the power and earth from the tach up properly. is it not working cause its powered all the time or shouldn't matter?

hope ive made sense n someone can shed some light to help me!

A.G.System
17-04-2008, 08:39 AM
take it to an auto sparky. they can check out what you have done and correct it. shouldnt cost too much.

Limbo
17-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Try tapping the RPM from the ECU, that's how i did mine

CRXer
17-04-2008, 09:27 PM
u just have to hook the ground wire of the tacho up to the vehicle ( & power wire in such case). it needs the same common reference voltage(ground point) as the dizzy to read correctly.

mclovin
17-04-2008, 09:42 PM
i would have thought that it would be the purple wire at the back of the cluster as it was in my old ef and other jap cars i have worked on.

get urself a multimeter and disconnect ur instrument cluster. test each wire at the instrument cluster plug while revving ur engine. u will find that the correct wire will show a varying voltage on the multimeter, problem solved...

CRXer
17-04-2008, 10:45 PM
i would have thought that it would be the purple wire at the back of the cluster as it was in my old ef and other jap cars i have worked on.

get urself a multimeter and disconnect ur instrument cluster. test each wire at the instrument cluster plug while revving ur engine. u will find that the correct wire will show a varying voltage on the multimeter, problem solved...

It is blue,but usually a darkish blue,spose it could turn dark purplish with age & heat.

Dont need a multi just trace circuit board on back of cluster from tacho signal pin to pin on plug to find correct wire.

mclovin
17-04-2008, 10:52 PM
It is blue,but usually a darkish blue,spose it could turn dark purplish with age & heat.

Dont need a multi just trace circuit board on back of cluster from tacho signal pin to pin on plug to find correct wire.

sweet never thought about tracin wires that way, cheers CRXer..

Rivic
19-04-2008, 12:35 PM
thanx for ya help guys will do, it is blue wire looked it up in honda technicle manual :)

trism
19-04-2008, 08:09 PM
u just have to hook the ground wire of the tacho up to the vehicle ( & power wire in such case). it needs the same common reference voltage(ground point) as the dizzy to read correctly.

this is why

Double R
20-04-2008, 01:44 PM
rice equipment

CRXer
20-04-2008, 06:50 PM
rice equipment

rice response:zip: