PDA

View Full Version : Extend Warranty on FD1?

renegadeice
04-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Hi guys,

My 2007 Honda Civic is officially a year old this month :D

Honda Australia's mailed out an offer to extend the warranty with the following features:
- 2 years/40,000 kms extended warranty
- comprehensive premium roadside assistance for up to 5 years
- assurance against cost outlay for parts & labour on warranty repairs
- no claim limits
- 100% backed by Honda Australia
- Supported by all authorised honda dealers
- no transfer costs to subsequent owners.

All this is offered at AUD$650. Do you guys think this is a fair price?

I am planning to make some mods to the car within the next 2 years. Maybe a body kit and changes to the suspension. Do mods like this tend to void the Honda warranty?

Thanks in advance for all your input, guys!

Drew
04-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Why not call and ask?

JaCe
04-04-2008, 11:30 AM
Hi guys,

My 2007 Honda Civic is officially a year old this month :D

Honda Australia's mailed out an offer to extend the warranty with the following features:
- 2 years/40,000 kms extended warranty
- comprehensive premium roadside assistance for up to 5 years
- assurance against cost outlay for parts & labour on warranty repairs
- no claim limits
- 100% backed by Honda Australia
- Supported by all authorised honda dealers
- no transfer costs to subsequent owners.

All this is offered at AUD$650. Do you guys think this is a fair price?

I am planning to make some mods to the car within the next 2 years. Maybe a body kit and changes to the suspension. Do mods like this tend to void the Honda warranty?

Thanks in advance for all your input, guys!

That's what I got with my car (thrown in as part of the price).

I think the general consensus around here is that warranty covers the car and parts which are unmodified or unaffected by modified parts (e.g. a bodykit isn't going to affect the sound system)... but of course it comes down to the dealer/service center on the day.

dmx
04-04-2008, 03:51 PM
That's what I got with my car (thrown in as part of the price).

I think the general consensus around here is that warranty covers the car and parts which are unmodified or unaffected by modified parts (e.g. a bodykit isn't going to affect the sound system)... but of course it comes down to the dealer/service center on the day.
Jace right. extended warranty is the best for un-mods car.
body kit -->no problems, only suspension means will void ur car "legs" area:)
engine still been cover.
btw, why the dealer didn't give free extended warranty ?
mine got dealer warranty 4 years (total 6 years), but need to service to that dealer all the time :cool:

renegadeice
04-04-2008, 06:33 PM
i put down the deposit for the card around feb 07, got the car at the end of april. The deal i got was the best that i could find (after shopping around for almost a month). I bargained from $25,000 driveaway to $23,500 driveaway and that was as far as i got =/ Only managed to get free floor mats as an added bonus. I had bugged him for other extras to the car (i can't really recall what i was asking for but it wasn't anything outrageous).

I guess it never really occured to me to try and bargain for the extended warranty. Not sure if they would have given it to me if i asked tho. I know the car was in very high demand back then (we were warned there would be about a 3 month wait and this was the same for all the other dealers i went to).

sam.
05-04-2008, 08:23 PM
i've had in depth discussion with our dealer's service manager about mods to our FD1, and i was told this "even if i change the wheels to aftermarket items that are same size/width of stock wheels and then maybe there's a steering problem then honda will void warranty on the damaged steering part/s coz u changed to a non honda part and that caused the problem, same wit the k&n panel filter, "even though it's a higher quality item than stock filter if engine somehow got damaged internally then warranty on broken parts is void as they would blame it on the new filter" so basically u mod it at ur own risk EVEN WHEELS! this is just gay and we were not told about this before purchase and i told the dealer about intentions to mod the car! another reason we won't be buying another honda!

JaCe
05-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Jace right. extended warranty is the best for un-mods car.
body kit -->no problems, only suspension means will void ur car "legs" area:)
engine still been cover.
btw, why the dealer didn't give free extended warranty ?
mine got dealer warranty 4 years (total 6 years), but need to service to that dealer all the time :cool:

I meant the dealer gave me the extended warranty with roadside assist as part of my package.

renegadeice
06-04-2008, 11:18 PM
hmmm.... i'll definitely go have a good long talk with my dealer when i get a chance later on in the week. I bought my car from GWS Honda in Melbourne. My bro's bought a Mazda 3 from GWS Mazda and raved about how great their after-sales service was (replaced a lot of stuff that they didn't have to and put it all under warranty).

I was a bit hesitant to extend it after what jace and dmx said about the warranty only applying to unmodified parts of the car. but when you read about the stuff people have been going thru in the List your New civic problems here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85203) thread, it can't hurt to play safe I guess.

dmx
07-04-2008, 04:14 PM
hmmm.... i'll definitely go have a good long talk with my dealer when i get a chance later on in the week. I bought my car from GWS Honda in Melbourne. My bro's bought a Mazda 3 from GWS Mazda and raved about how great their after-sales service was (replaced a lot of stuff that they didn't have to and put it all under warranty).

I was a bit hesitant to extend it after what jace and dmx said about the warranty only applying to unmodified parts of the car. but when you read about the stuff people have been going thru in the List your New civic problems here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85203) thread, it can't hurt to play safe I guess.

problems with civic in that thread is a case by case basis.
about the mazda mods+warranty, i think the same like honda too, if u mods using honda genuine parts (or accesories) and ask them to install, all would be covered under warranty. ie. u bought oem fog light and ask them to install, everything would be fine. or u buy oem honda 16" optional rims for Vti, and this case would be under warranty too.

but say, if u buy 20" Mugen rims (LOL) from japan, and ask tyres shop to put on, don;'t think honda dealer will put them under their warranty cover, coz that's not their stuff and not their works too.
that's why, i always say, do mods everything but don't touch engine room:o
if u lowered and changed bigger rims, if something happen, lets say about streering or suspension, the most cost u have to put for repair (may be) around 500-1000. but if engine break down...:wave: not dare to imagine

ks_b
23-04-2008, 01:02 AM
if somthing happen after mods... cant we just change back to stock and get it repair under warranty?? lolz...

renegadeice
24-04-2008, 12:54 PM
if somthing happen after mods... cant we just change back to stock and get it repair under warranty?? lolz...

yeah but say that install performance mods in your car. and say you're unfortunate enough to have engine trouble which you can get repaired under warranty. then you gotta factor in the cost of removing your performance mods and installing the stock ones back before claiming warranty. then...... if you still want to use your mods, you'd have to put them back on again after claiming warranty.

renegadeice
24-04-2008, 12:57 PM
am going to go get my warranty extended today. i talked to the dealer representative extensively on the phone yesterday and I was satisfied with his explanation.

to sum it up, he basically told me what sam said. if Honda suspects your mods could have played a role in adversely affecting a part of your vehicle, then that part of your vehicle will no longer be covered under the warranty.

But I don't plan to make too many mods to my car(got new wheels and tyres aldready, possibly adding a bodykit but that's it). So it should be fine for me.

unity
14-06-2008, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=renegadeice;1655107]am going to go get my warranty extended today. i talked to the dealer representative extensively on the phone yesterday and I was satisfied with his explanation.

So what did you end up paying for the extended warranty? Did they give you a discount on the extended warranty?

renegadeice
15-06-2008, 12:11 PM
$650. thats if you get it within the 1st year of buying the car. after that i think its $750.