PDA

View Full Version : Best Coilovers for DC2

geeang
04-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi there guys, I have a '94 DC2 VTi-R and was wondering what the best coilovers were in terms of handling/ride comfort for street use.

I realise that coilovers do tend to be stiffer than normal but I'm more looking at the ride comfort side of things. Something with height adjustability, yet not too harsh on the road. Right now I have the stock shocks + low king springs and it does seem pretty hard, but I need height adjustability.

I've read many reviews on the Skunk2 Pro-S coilovers being SUPER stiff (almost 3 times stiffer than OEM) and resulting in a hard uncomfortable ride.

kraiye
04-04-2008, 10:53 PM
if king springs are too hard you may not want coil overs

geeang
04-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah I should probably revise it to best coilovers and/or shocks + springs setup.

King springs are fine for me, they are firm but I don't mind them, I just need height adjustability because I've been defected for being too low (can't fit finger between rear tyre and body)

L a z y b O Y
04-04-2008, 11:33 PM
king springs sag over time aswell =]

xtina
05-04-2008, 07:40 AM
can someone gice this a good brand and advise coz m in the exact same boat as you.. this is wat i was looking for.. saves mr from posting up a thread for the same thing.....

Riced_Civic
05-04-2008, 08:27 AM
Tein SS?

defect
05-04-2008, 08:36 AM
cusco zero2

Dane
05-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Been in cars with tein ss and felt really good, firm ride but comfortable and not bouncy. I've got a set of Skunk2 Pro s I'm gonna stick in my DA9 when i can be arsed, have read some really good reviews on them but they do say they're stiff but ride well and not bouncy.

Your not going to get a lowered car with a plush comfortable ride. Lowering a car means some compromise!!!

geeang
05-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Thing is, I actually want to RAISE my car a little from what it is now. I know there is a compromise for good handling and ride comfort but I'm wondering if theres something with decent handling, and ride comfort isn't rigid and bouncy.

ricki_kalsi
07-04-2008, 09:43 AM
BuddyClub N+ Dampers!!! Awsome for street.

Tein SS are crap.

garett
07-04-2008, 10:08 AM
BuddyClub N+ Dampers!!! Awsome for street.

Tein SS are crap.

Depends what your comparing to! If your after something better than stock then Tein SS are quite good.

ricki_kalsi
07-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Depends what your comparing to! If your after something better than stock then Tein SS are quite good.

I reakon they are worse than stock DC2R sussy.

when you lower them.. the spring travel changed. Unlike Tein Flex, and the BuddyClub dampers where it's seperate..

BuddyClub N+ dampers are a very nice suspension for street, and occasional track - and very affordable too.

vtec-dr
09-04-2008, 02:54 AM
buddyclub or BC(not buddyclub) but i think tein ss is pretty good had BC on my em1 and got tein ss on my DC5R

Moya
09-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Cusco Zero 2
JIC
BC N+
BC Race Spec (hardcore though)

m_n
09-04-2008, 12:03 PM
koni yellows and gc sleeves!
u can set both damper and height settings =D
pretty cheap too
i got it all delivered to my door for around 11-1200

Bludger
09-04-2008, 12:33 PM
this guy wants a street setup

why are some ppl advising hardcore track spec coilovers?

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
BC racing spec aren't too hardcore. I use them daily.

Bludger: Tein Flex and Buddy Club N+ aren't hardcore at all. Just good quality suspension.

People use D2, and G4 - which IMO suck, and they say it's ok it's for the street. Safety needs to be applied to the street too - I reakon more so than the track, as there are people around everywhere.

Bludger
09-04-2008, 03:25 PM
BC racing spec aren't too hardcore. I use them daily.

Bludger: Tein Flex and Buddy Club N+ aren't hardcore at all. Just good quality suspension.

People use D2, and G4 - which IMO suck, and they say it's ok it's for the street. Safety needs to be applied to the street too - I reakon more so than the track, as there are people around everywhere.flex & N+ are ok, but someone said RSD and zero2

lolwtf?

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 03:46 PM
RSD and Zero 2 aren't that hardcore.

Bludger
09-04-2008, 03:47 PM
but hardly suitable for the street, and also defectable

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 04:25 PM
but hardly suitable for the street, and also defectable

Anything aftermarket is Defectable. RSD would not be more defectable that N+ or SS.

They are suitable for the street. I have been using RSD for 2 years in my DC2R. A little firm, but I love them...

kongfu
09-04-2008, 04:32 PM
there are so many good coilover available on the market.

it really depend on your budget and how much you are willing to spend.

geeang
09-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Coilovers are defectable for street? I've never heard of that before :S

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 05:24 PM
An aftermarket headunit is defectable...

Only thing that isn't is wheels, and they have to be a certain spec too.

Aftermarket headlight globes are defectable according to the cops that defected me for a Spoon front strut and Mugen airbox, and ground wires...

geeang
09-04-2008, 06:01 PM
geezez, I knew the Sydney boys in blue were bad, but thats just way over the top.

Bludger
09-04-2008, 06:27 PM
geezez, I knew the Sydney boys in blue were bad, but thats just way over the top.its the law of this country

helps us live and let live

jdm_kid
09-04-2008, 06:28 PM
An aftermarket headunit is defectable...

any links from the RTA website or anything ?

ricki_kalsi
09-04-2008, 10:32 PM
haven't tried looking tbh. But no matter what, if a cop wants to defect you, they will.

Oh yeah also, they wanted to defect me for my "racing seats" (Stock recaros). Even though I told them they were "Standard". LOL. and for some reason, they didn't defect me for the CF bonnet. So yeah... they suck.

skunk2tony
10-04-2008, 03:25 AM
Skunk2 Pro C coilovers FTW

NSPYRE
10-04-2008, 07:17 AM
dunno bout in NSW but in ACT coil-overs are a big no no. friend told me its because of that whole three wheel thing that happens wen u come on/off a driveway

ricki_kalsi
10-04-2008, 09:37 AM
dunno bout in NSW but in ACT coil-overs are a big no no. friend told me its because of that whole three wheel thing that happens wen u come on/off a driveway

Stock cars Like golf GTi's, DC2R and DC5R do that too. If you get a steep enough drive way, most cars will do that.

NSPYRE
10-04-2008, 09:42 AM
DC2R and DC2R aye... yea, i duno. all im saying is that u'll fail in ACT, not sure bout NSW. from wat i hear though, NSW is a lot tougher.

ricki_kalsi
10-04-2008, 09:44 AM
LOL DC2 and DC2. hahah. I meant DC5R

yeah NSW is gay, they are cracking down hardcore, espeically on the yulehs that go cruising near rockdale.

Bludger
10-04-2008, 10:16 AM
dunno bout in NSW but in ACT coil-overs are a big no no. friend told me its because of that whole three wheel thing that happens wen u come on/off a drivewayI love the part where your friend told you...

Moya
10-04-2008, 12:20 PM
**** i love ozhonda

We collectively, have the dumbest friends on the planet.

IEVAQ8
10-04-2008, 02:40 PM
i got tein s/s and they are fine, i run them 6 clicks from the stiffest setting for daily use, and they are lowered on there guts on my dc2r........i think perfect for what you want...........height adjustability and also the damper adjustability

NSPYRE
10-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I love the part where your friend told you...

yea, i just assumed he wld hav known cos he got defected for coil-overs before... dnt shoot the messenger lah, just tryin to help

geeang
11-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Well after a good deal showed up I've decided to go for some Cusco Comp-S Coilovers, have been told that they're firm but great for the street.

FEL12X
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
really depends on whats ur budget

theres quite a few options for u to choose from

about 1K u can get koni yellows although they are not coilovers but still damper and height adjusable and price is pretty good too

for a little bit more, u can get BC coilovers , or even more u can get buddyclubs coilovers, then HSD, TEIN SS, CUSCO.. HKS...all the way to the 2K mark

they all similar in the price range, like people always compare Buddyclub N+ with Tein SS

and personally i would say Buddyclub N+ or BC coilovers as they are full length adjustable (u can both adjust the height from the bottom and from the springs holder bit, unlike tein SS can only adjust from the springs to adjust the height

and most of all they are good priced, excellent for street use and u get local warranty

if u get tein / cusco / HKS, they all imports from overseas and warranty may not cover