PDA

View Full Version : I effed it LOL!! attempting DIY mini retrim

AutoNoob
05-04-2008, 11:36 PM
this
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84837

lol...lets see where to start.
after taking it out, the wire from the speaker snapped cause the c00nts at Autobarn soldered the wires instead of a simple connector.

Next, i hacksawed those little plastic thingos
Then i dont know who or when they plastered the stock trim, but removing it was a pain, i had to use pliers LOL. The fur remaining was like a rug..hard to sand off.

Then sanding the thing, that took ages, i didnt make it clean and just thought 'meh'...bad move.. hahah.

Sprayed on adhesive, stuffed it up a bit, some creases/smudges.

Then put the thing back together using liquid nails, pain in the ass. It is still hardening, god knows how long this will take.

I will post up "FAIL" photos 2moro when i put it back in. I have ordered a 'type rofl' sticker, but i recon im gonna go to autojoy get a Type R badge, rip out the R and buy 4 letters paint them red...something like "Type Noob". hectic!!!

AsH_
06-04-2008, 01:00 AM
lets see this fail.

im still abit weary about doing the trims on my doors.

not that its gona be hard.

funkdr
06-04-2008, 02:35 AM
this

after taking it out, the wire from the speaker snapped cause the c00nts at Autobarn soldered the wires instead of a simple connector.

Thats bit harsh, soldering the speakers on is by far the best and safest method i am glad to see autobarn do that unlike alot of the other chain stores

vinnY
06-04-2008, 08:24 AM
i'm also surprised, thought they'd just twist and tuck the wire away
although i see where you're coming from, plugs would have been easier to remove but less secure

on another note you just used the wrong glue dude, should have went for contact adhesive that you can get from bunnings
the sprays are usually shit since they don't hold on enough and the liquid nails probably take 24 hours or so to cure properly

Kiz_EG6
06-04-2008, 03:24 PM
this

Next, i hacksawed those little plastic thingos
Then i dont know who or when they plastered the stock trim, but removing it was a pain, i had to use pliers LOL. The fur remaining was like a rug..hard to sand off.

Then sanding the thing, that took ages, i didnt make it clean and just thought 'meh'...bad move.. hahah.

Sprayed on adhesive, stuffed it up a bit, some creases/smudges.

Then put the thing back together using liquid nails, pain in the ass. It is still hardening, god knows how long this will take.

I will post up "FAIL" photos 2moro when i put it back in. I have ordered a 'type rofl' sticker, but i recon im gonna go to autojoy get a Type R badge, rip out the R and buy 4 letters paint them red...something like "Type Noob". hectic!!!

Thne beaty of this DIY is you can try it again for very little $$

I did it a while back and had no problem getting the trims out!!
I used hot glue to get it back on, as it is probably more appropriate for the app. than liquid nails, plus dries hard as the factory stuff in like 5 min!
Also, i got this magic can of "carpet and roof lining adhesive", it literally shoots out like spiderman's web, pretty cool, you can grab it from autobarn!!

Your really have to just work the fabric on until it is right, but that is the beaty of that aerosol adhesive, it takes a while to really dry, so it is plyable!!

Also, cut autobarn a break, solder is by far the best way, what do you want them to just twist the wires and tape them!?!

AutoNoob
06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
lol yeah, i had to resolder the wires back on, but make a bit longer, cause it was impossible otherwise to take the trim out. Was a combo of wires, duct table and solder.
And i also lost the window handle clip thingo cause it bounced somewhere and i cant find it anymore haha.
Door 1 - used liquid slow drying nails and spray on adhesive - i realised its pretty crap but meh...i wont be pulling on the fabric :).
Door 2 - used many layers of spray adhesive, used ductape to tape the fabric on the behind of the plastic bit thing. Used self tapping screws and washers to fix back into place.

Pain in the ass to do lol, ah well at least i learn something :), now i know how to run wires in the door too and maybe replace the window with power windows. DIY's are funnish..will post some nooby pics tomoro.