PDA

View Full Version : tyres rubbing on the inside of my chassis

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey just need a little help guys

i recently got my VTiR brakes put on for my eg civic and yeh it needs a wheel allignment something chronic, drives like a shopping trolley and goes all over the road anyways, when i full lock right, the tyres seem to be rubbing on the chassis that makes a horrifying rubbing noise.
Will a wheel allignment fix that? if not any suggestions what will? does the tyre rod need to be played with?
thanks

m0nty ITR
06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Nope. A wheel alignment won't do anything for it. A wheel alignment is to ensure your wheels are both pointing in the same direction. Is there a chance that your offset has changed with the new hub assembly and brakes fitted? I don't know enough about that model to know whether the offset is different. That could be the reason for your wheels scrubbing when on full lock. There are a couple of solutions. Get hub centric spacers or wheels with a smaller offset to move them further towards the outside of the car. Have you noticed the wheels sit in further than they used to?

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
nope, they seem to sit normally, im rolling on 17's and they already have hub spacers on

m0nty ITR
06-04-2008, 01:38 PM
The only thing that has changed is your brakes correct? Did you retain the EG hub and driveshafts and just fit the calipers and rotors?

The car should only need a wheel alignment if you have removed the entire strut assembly with the hub.

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 01:43 PM
yup i got integra uprights and integra driveshafts, the whole brake assembly was changed, even the master cyclinder and the brake booster. The calipers and rotors didnt fit onto my civic hubs

m0nty ITR
06-04-2008, 01:47 PM
yup i got integra uprights and integra driveshafts, the whole brake assembly was changed, even the master cyclinder and the brake booster. The calipers and rotors didnt fit onto my civic hubs

There you go. You've changed the offset of the wheels. You may not notice it, but your wheels will sit further in, even slight adjustments of 10-15mm will cause wheels to scrub on full lock. You really should book your car in for a wheel alignment too. Otherwise you could be up for a new set of tyres in just 100kms. When I changed the suspension on my car I took the car to a tyre shop 100m down the road for a basic wheel alignment before taking it to my preferred wheel alignment expert.

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 01:51 PM
thanks. yea a wheel alignment is my first priority, so now the offset is changed, does that mean i need new tyres and wheels?

m0nty ITR
06-04-2008, 01:54 PM
thanks. yea a wheel alignment is my first priority, so now the offset is changed, does that mean i need new tyres and wheels?

No. It just means that you've lost a little of your turning circle and footprint width.

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 01:55 PM
No. It just means that you've lost a little of your turning circle and footprint width.

but i guess i cant fulllock anymore, well to the right anyways

m0nty ITR
06-04-2008, 01:59 PM
but i guess i cant fulllock anymore, well to the right anyways

Why is it different on each side? If you have 2 different offsets your car won't handle properly ever. It's like driving on a space saver.

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Why is it different on each side? If you have 2 different offsets your car won't handle properly ever. It's like driving on a space saver.

i have no idea, all i noticed is that full locking the left is fine, only to the right it rubs.
what is the integra offset value? do you know?
thanks

m0nty ITR
06-04-2008, 02:05 PM
Don't take offence here but did you put the spacers back on BOTH sides of the car? It could be a simple reason why the wheels are different offsets.

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Don't take offence here but did you put the spacers back on BOTH sides of the car? It could be a simple reason why the wheels are different offsets.

lol understandable question coz its such a me thing to do but no lol,both spacers were put on

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 02:37 PM
also, when my wheel turns it makes a clicking noise, it gets louder the faster it turns, not sure if its my driveshafts. i take the wheel off and turn the router and still clicks. i pop the bonnet and sounds coming from the gearbox

Limbo
06-04-2008, 07:42 PM
turning when and clicking is CVs.

Have you tried thicker spacers?

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 08:21 PM
not not yet, i might, or ill just invest in some smaller wheels

FAT VTI
06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Arn't aftermarket offset spacers illegal in nsw?
(simple question, Just thought i read it somewhere).

Mate, if its only hitting the inner body of your car it isnt a BIG deal. If its only on full lock there isn't much to worry about. 3 point turns and going a little wider on roundabouts.
I had the same problem , however i rasied my coilovers .5inches and it solved the problem 95%.

But seriously mate, Doesn't really affect much ,I'd be a little worried bout ur CV's they are notorious to screw up on Hondas.

m0nty ITR
06-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Arn't aftermarket offset spacers illegal in nsw?
(simple question, Just thought i read it somewhere).

Mate, if its only hitting the inner body of your car it isnt a BIG deal. If its only on full lock there isn't much to worry about. 3 point turns and going a little wider on roundabouts.
I had the same problem , however i rasied my coilovers .5inches and it solved the problem 95%.

But seriously mate, Doesn't really affect much ,I'd be a little worried bout ur CV's they are notorious to screw up on Hondas.

It's only doing it on one side though. My concern would be the uneven geometry of the car now and it's effect on the car's handling.

infurNOS
10-04-2008, 03:14 PM
well i just got a wheel allignment and no more rubbing! the tyre place my fronts where out 14mm.
:)
thanks guys