PDA

View Full Version : gearbox noise?

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 03:34 PM
hey guys when my wheels turn it makes a clicking noise, it gets louder the faster it turns, not sure if its my driveshafts. i take the wheel off and rotate the rotor and still clicks. i pop the bonnet and sounds coming from the gearbox. it happens for both sides
any ideas?

Limbo
06-04-2008, 04:02 PM
sounds like your bearing, but dunno cos you say its coming from your gbox???

infurNOS
06-04-2008, 04:47 PM
sounds like your bearing, but dunno cos you say its coming from your gbox???

its hard, ive been told it could be the cv joints or the diff

Limbo
06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
CVs generally make noise when your turning . If its the Diff bearing then your in for an expensive overhual or you could get a second hand box.

Usually those type of noises come from wheel bearings

Dr0olz
08-04-2008, 10:48 PM
does it happen only when your turning? or is does it also happens on straights?
when did this start happening?
and is the sound getting louder since it started happening?
most prob. your cv joints are gone.

check under the car if your inner and outer boots are gone
if so get them replaced and the sound should go away.

from the description you gave us,
its a high chance that it is your drive shaft.

teh_mechanic
09-04-2008, 07:18 AM
check under the car if your inner and outer boots are gone
if so get them replaced and the sound should go away.

replacing the boots will not fix the sound if its a cv joint dying thats making the noise.the boot is there as a prevention for dirt getting into the cv joint,replacing this boot after the joint is already stuffed is a waste of money.

to test if it is the cv joint making the noise,it will most likely not make the noise in a straight line,if it does it probably isnt the cv.anyway.put your foot medium hard on the break and put the car in first or drive,accelerate with your foot still on the break (loads the drivetrain up) and do a few full lock turns to the right and some to the left,moving the wheel 10cm or so back and forth while you are turning.if you hear the clicking noise,it most probably is cv joints dead.if so,just get a new driveshaft,its usually cheaper than rebuilding the cv joint

Drew
09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Although if it clicks while driving in a straight line it could still be the CV's they don't only click when just turning...

Have you had this clicking for long?

infurNOS
09-04-2008, 02:57 PM
hey guys
it doesnt click when im full locking, but when im driving past barriers, other cars thats when i hear the clicking the most as the sound is bouncing off those objects, thats prettymuch the only time i can hear the noise.
it cant be something in my tytres because when i jacked the car up and rotated the brake rotors, it was still making the noise. One side was jacked up at a time so only 1 wheel was off the ground