PDA

View Full Version : EG5 Hood Scoop to keep the engine bay cool??

Lukezen27
06-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Hey Guys

Anyone got a hood scoop on the EG's?

It gets very hot under my bonnet since turbo and my bonnet has warped.

Here's what I've found so far and installing one would cover where the warping is :thumbsup:
http://www.wickedbodies.net/W-Accessories-Erebuni/civic92233hs.jpg

What happens when it rains?

So if that's stupid question but I've never had a car with one before..

Cheers

Luke

VTi_b0i
06-04-2008, 05:43 PM
well i cant imagine it being good in the rain, as heated metals and cold water really dont go well together LOL

Lukezen27
06-04-2008, 05:46 PM
well i cant imagine it being good in the rain, as heated metals and cold water really dont go well together LOL

Well they must doing something coze lots of cars have them...

90LAN
06-04-2008, 05:50 PM
there is a plate under the scoop to direct the water away from the eng components

Lukezen27
06-04-2008, 05:57 PM
there is a plate under the scoop to direct the water away from the eng components

I see, makes sense..

Thanks

So anyone got any info on em or is the a better way to cool the bay?

Spicey
06-04-2008, 06:03 PM
adjust the rear of the bonnet up (near the windscreen) to leave a gap for hot air to exit.

Its a bit ghetto but very effictive

Lukezen27
06-04-2008, 06:09 PM
adjust the rear of the bonnet up (near the windscreen) to leave a gap for hot air to exit.

Its a bit ghetto but very effictive

I would if it didn't look so crap...

So many EG's Pic's of got have done that and it ****s up the look of the whole car :thumbdwn:

rayb3na_
06-04-2008, 06:24 PM
j's racing cf bonent ftw =]

Lukezen27
06-04-2008, 06:28 PM
j's racing cf bonent ftw =]

Na I roll legal

Fo55il
06-04-2008, 09:08 PM
hmmm im a bit curious about this tooo ...

VTC-8OY
06-04-2008, 09:26 PM
it wont get rain as the bonnet is slanted on an angle

Mr_will
06-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Na I roll legal

so youre gonna get your scoop engineered?

aimre
06-04-2008, 11:35 PM
+1 for bonnet lift

aznpsuazn
07-04-2008, 12:29 AM
You will still get more warping with the bonnet lift. It actually doesn't do much at all in reducing the overall temp of your bay.

You need to stop the heat from radiating first, and then insulate the key areas it hits on your bonnet, i.e, directly above the turbo.

Start with a turbo insulation kit http://www.rocketindustries.com.au/descriptions.php?partno=TT15001, followed by a heat shield on your bonnet underside.

A product like this http://www.thermotec.com/product_detail.php?prd_id=25 will adhere to the bonnet and protect from radiant heat and also insulate.

Set this up properly and you will have no more problems with heat in your bay. Btw i don't endorse any of these products, just pointing you in the right direction.

rice_civic
07-04-2008, 01:06 AM
so the very slight angle of the bonnet is supposed to stop the rain from getting in there when your driving? doesnt sound right. even if it did stop the splashing from getting in the water that rolls up the bonnet (when driving) would go straight in there.

VTC-8OY
07-04-2008, 01:42 AM
so the very slight angle of the bonnet is supposed to stop the rain from getting in there when your driving? doesnt sound right. even if it did stop the splashing from getting in the water that rolls up the bonnet (when driving) would go straight in there.

u r quite right. i didnt think of dat lol

slipn
07-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Reverse bonnet scoop?? Seen these on WRXs and Starlet GTs and they work well

connorling
07-04-2008, 02:22 AM
i think u can get a approval scoop bonnet over the east(only one shop who sell approval scoop bonnet in aus), cost from $750..., it perfectly fits ur car without modifaction..... i need to find out the name of that company....

and the scoop face up or down, either way water can still get it. i think the only parts where u dont want water is the air intake, or turbo turbine in this case, and battery and hid ballast if u have one.

Lukezen27
07-04-2008, 07:27 AM

Yup

Everything on my car has been thus far :thumbsup:

Boban
07-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Asked lyle, he has one on his car???

i remember when we had a friends rex for a couple months, the bov was right under the scoop and in the rain when it opened it would shoot water out from the scoop, looked pretty cool

Fo55il
07-04-2008, 11:18 AM
yeah lyle had d reverse scoop - looked silly but i think it would actually work to reduce d heat in a way,

i dont think that the rain would have such a bad effect on whats under d hood? would it ?

aznpsuazn
07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
You don't need to engineer a bonnet scoop.

When a 165mm diameter sphere is placed on the bonnet in front of the scoop (or bonnet projection) and rolled rearwards until it touches the scoop, no point of contact between the sphere and the scoop shall lie above a horizontal plane passing through the centre of the sphere

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/saf...ns_3Feb2006.pdf
P11/section4.1

rayb3na_
07-04-2008, 02:49 PM
might start sucking up birds and shit if u get a wrx reverse scoop rofls.

rice_civic
07-04-2008, 03:51 PM
i dont think that the rain would have such a bad effect on whats under d hood? would it ?

uneven heating and cooling causes warping and if this warping is severe enough it will cause cracking.

you could try some vents rather than a scoop. if you want something a little more subtle, a civic i looked at buying ages ago had one. looked pretty decent, definately better than a wrx scoop, leave them to subarus and hyundais ( i am NOT saying they look good on hyundais!)

Fo55il
07-04-2008, 05:26 PM
lol - oh yeah, no doubt it has an effect, but not on something as strong as an engine?
i could be wrong but it wouldnt make sense if other cars have scoops and nothing happens to them .

Lukezen27
07-04-2008, 06:06 PM
uneven heating and cooling causes warping and if this warping is severe enough it will cause cracking.

you could try some vents rather than a scoop. if you want something a little more subtle, a civic i looked at buying ages ago had one. looked pretty decent, definately better than a wrx scoop, leave them to subarus and hyundais ( i am NOT saying they look good on hyundais!)

Yeah vents sound good

Got any info on them?

55EXX
07-04-2008, 06:33 PM
i read an article somewhere that showed that rear bonnet lifting raised engine bay temp as instead of the air eascaping down underneath the car it went up and swirled in the engine bay increasing engine bay temps.

i would be more so trying heat wraps and turbo bag. one of those ones that go over the hot side of the turbo charger. can be had for around 200-250 bucks.

wrap the header and dump and done.

Lukezen27
07-04-2008, 06:44 PM
i read an article somewhere that showed that rear bonnet lifting raised engine bay temp as instead of the air eascaping down underneath the car it went up and swirled in the engine bay increasing engine bay temps.

i would be more so trying heat wraps and turbo bag. one of those ones that go over the hot side of the turbo charger. can be had for around 200-250 bucks.

wrap the header and dump and done.

I've got the tin thingy that came with kit that bolts into the log manifold ... might install it and see if that helps

It too many problems with wrap to bother IMO

rice_civic
07-04-2008, 09:01 PM
dont have any info on them. just a guess though. if you cut the holes for them so you avoid the supports in the bonnet then you shouldnt alter the integrity of the bonnet. which i would assume would keep the authorities happy.

as for the cars that have bonnet scoops you wold notice that normally the only thing that is under there is an intercooler. wrx and 4wds are like this.

aznpsuazn
08-04-2008, 01:09 AM
Sounds like you really want a scoop more than wanting to cool your engine bay down.

Lukezen27
08-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Sounds like you really want a scoop more than wanting to cool your engine bay down.

lo I don't think so...

They look a bit gay IMO but my bonnet looks so crap now I was hoping to cover it up...

55EXX
08-04-2008, 07:45 AM
yeah install that heat shield deflect heat down and away from the bonnet

JasonGilholme
08-04-2008, 07:51 AM
yeah install that heat shield deflect heat down and away from the bonnet

it won't deflect heat down. Heat always rises.

What it will do however is absorb most of the heat that would normally be heading straight for his bonnet :thumbsup:

Turbo bag, HPC Coating and a heat shield should give you great heat management.

ilpala
08-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Not enough rain would get onto the engine even in the biggest downpour to do any damage. If your worried go for a reverse scoop similar to the shape of the r34 z-tune, i've seen single scoop versions of this design on eg civics in my area.

Mr_will
08-04-2008, 02:36 PM
do you have a half size radiator?

you could try getting one of those - which would create a fair bit of space (where the other half of the radiator previously was) in which air could flow through from the front bar.

Lukezen27
08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
do you have a half size radiator?

you could try getting one of those - which would create a fair bit of space (where the other half of the radiator previously was) in which air could flow through from the front bar.

not sure

Here's what I have
http://www.doubledynasystems.com/Car/new_motor_bay.jpg

Limbo
09-04-2008, 11:48 AM
hey luke goto supercheap they sell the heat shield material and make one. I did and it helped quite alot.
You can't really wrap turbo headers as they might crack.
Drop by sometime and i'll show you

Lukezen27
09-04-2008, 02:04 PM
hey luke goto supercheap they sell the heat shield material and make one. I did and it helped quite alot.

Yeah cool bro :)

tiksie
10-04-2008, 11:26 AM

Just say it was stock standard on these models ;)

I personally think it looks like shite.

redinteg
12-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Yep, good idea + your manifold has holes to bolt one on :thumbsup:

Sexc86
12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
I have 2 bonnets for my EG.

Firstly in QLD. Scoops are legal, as long as they are not more then 165mm High OR obstruct too much driving vision ( you have to be able to see the ground minimum of 15M in front of you) Also You cant cut the metal frame support. Its structural (crash impacts etc etc)

i have 2 bonnets, 1 has an enclosed STI scoop (mounted backwards). I find scoops better then vents as vents are just fancy holes cut in your bonnet (no roof) and thus water can easily get in your engine bay. Scoops i find do just as good job and can also be used to force air In or Bleed air out of your bay. Also Scoops (as above) are enclosed, have a roof, which limits the amount of water. Something you dont want all over your manifold, dump etc

Lukezen27
13-04-2008, 11:11 AM
Yep, good idea + your manifold has holes to bolt one on :thumbsup:

The GReddy kit comes with a heat shield but I doubt it would do shit but protect your hands from the manifold whiles checking your oil..

heat goes up not matter what!!

I have 2 bonnets for my EG.

Firstly in QLD. Scoops are legal, as long as they are not more then 165mm High OR obstruct too much driving vision ( you have to be able to see the ground minimum of 15M in front of you) Also You cant cut the metal frame support. Its structural (crash impacts etc etc)

i have 2 bonnets, 1 has an enclosed STI scoop (mounted backwards). I find scoops better then vents as vents are just fancy holes cut in your bonnet (no roof) and thus water can easily get in your engine bay. Scoops i find do just as good job and can also be used to force air In or Bleed air out of your bay. Also Scoops (as above) are enclosed, have a roof, which limits the amount of water. Something you dont want all over your manifold, dump etc

Hey Lyle

What scoop are you using on your current setup and works well?

Limo
13-04-2008, 03:24 PM
ive got a ef8, but engine setup is pretty much the same. my carbon bonnet has 2 vents on it( i know you dont want to go carbon, but you mite still be able to use the vents idea) they sit just above the headers so while driving you can see the heat fly out the vents (tho the engine bay still gets hot, but not as hot as it did with stock bonnet) also has a flap thing under it to direct the water down infront of the turbo.

if your thinking about vents id be watching out for electrical parts rather than engine parts, ive had mine on for ages and some water gets onto the radiator,turbo,headers and engine.. but still all good.

Sexc86
13-04-2008, 04:34 PM
yeh mate. The blue one has a WRX sit Scoop mounted backwards. Sits directly over my head and turbo manifold. Works a treat, whenever i drive around i can see distorted air comeing out of the scoop due to the heat.

Lukezen27
13-04-2008, 04:57 PM
yeh mate. The blue one has a WRX sit Scoop mounted backwards. Sits directly over my head and turbo manifold. Works a treat, whenever i drive around i can see distorted air comeing out of the scoop due to the heat.

Sweet

Got any pic's dose it look OK?

hayashi_1986
14-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm curious as well...Seems like it works from the way Sexc86 is describing the heat dispersion :thumbsup:

Sexc86
14-04-2008, 07:29 PM
hope this helps, really makes a difference. And looks tops IMO not tacky

http://i31.tinypic.com/2i595l.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/21ahc7r.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/15dl08l.jpg

http://i30.tinypic.com/2u4hlxx.jpg

Lukezen27
14-04-2008, 07:47 PM
hope this helps, really makes a difference. And looks tops IMO not tacky

Thanks Lyle

Doesn't look to bad ether :)

Did you get the WRX scoop from a wreckers?

Sexc86
14-04-2008, 08:15 PM
nah just over ebay mate !. hunt around. however i wouldnt go the smaller wrx scoop (not much surface area to use as a vent)

Lukezen27
14-04-2008, 08:22 PM
nah just over ebay mate !. hunt around. however i wouldnt go the smaller wrx scoop (not much surface area to use as a vent)

Oh there' different sizes? what's yours?

Thanks mate

Luke

Sexc86
14-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Some are taller and some have a larger surface area. Unsure which are on which models though.